Page 367 of 2244 FirstFirst ... 2673173573633643653663673683693703713774174678671367 ... LastLast
Results 5,491 to 5,505 of 33660
    Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Once And Forever View Post
    When Butcher writes from Murphy or Marcone's perception, we see much less of this because they aren't pigs.
    Harry being a pig is one thing, but that doesn't mean Butcher needs to drive the point home quite so often or so forcefully. Every female character who's not a literal crone gets a nasty, repetitive little monologue in the narration.

And, really, we spend far more time in Harry's head than anyone else's, so I don't know if other characters being less awful matters much.
    Expletive Deleted

Given the concerns raised here and elsewhere about Django Unchained I thought this might be interesting.

From Slate: Conservatives Freak Out About Django Unchained.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/...word_flap.html

If a movie manages to piss off two divergent types of people it's probably doing a good job of being down the middle.

It also occurs to me that Sam Jackson is EXACTLY the type of guy who would relish the opportunity to play "the most reprehesible Negro ever".

Yes Sheild they rather have Brits then blacks or Hispanics smh
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February

I do like Ming-na though especially her ability to not age

R.I.P. Dwayne McDuffie Greg Anderson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Given the concerns raised here and elsewhere about Django Unchained I thought this might be interesting.

From Slate: Conservatives Freak Out About Django Unchained.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/...word_flap.html

If a movie manages to piss off two divergent types of people it's probably doing a good job of being down the middle.

It also occurs to me that Sam Jackson is EXACTLY the type of guy who would relish the opportunity to play "the most reprehesible Negro ever".
    Bout an hour or so ago I was thinking bout Sam L in Lakeview Terrance.
    Greg Anderson: Blackized Anti-Sterotypist!

Free Umbra!

No time for white drama Ballard Blues's Avatar

Anyways, I finished watching all six episodes of Some Girls and for the most part, its nice to a tv series/miniseries centralized on female characters that don't ape off Sex and the City, or worse, demote itself to the level entertainment as circulated by anything produced Nick and Disney (all of which seem to cater to those with the attention span of a gnat). Upfront diversity seems to work on the Barbie Principal, for every two POC, there must be an equal amount of white characters and the background is full of POCs goofing off (but that's to be expected, I suppose). That said, everyone in series with the exception of Viva is absolutely obnoxious, horny (as per the teenage/adult syndrome) and utter parodies most of the time. They all just seem to work on one personality set and never expand beyond that box. I can't stand Amber, the character's ignorance (feigned or otherwise) is not cute or adorable (why someone hasn't shoved her in a locker and left her there is beyond me), Holli is manifestation of the bruiser in everyone who doesn't act on their aggression and Saz seems to work from the unresolved anger issues template herself, both stem from the problematic families boat. Why anyone even allows Viva's brother to touch anything is questionable in and of itself and it definitely crossed the line with the dumb blonde trying to rid her hand of that which I will not utter here. Out of the lot that aren't Viva's friends/teachers, Colin Salmon's character is probably the only one I actually enjoy, primarily because he's nothing being a stone faced secret agent man.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Anderson View Post
    Ugh, thinking of Lakeview Terrance makes me ill (its such classic Hollywood racism borne of the idea that African-Americans are somehow worse on the scale of interracial intolerance) and Kerry Washington was in that garbage dump of a film as well, so it probably shouldn't have surprised me that she'd take Django Unchained.
    “For the natural born smartass, nine times out of ten
    the "smartass impulse" is acted upon before the brain
    has even engaged in first gear.”
    - Stephen King?

Quote Originally Posted by Ballard Blues View Post
    Ugh, thinking of Lakeview Terrance makes me ill (its such classic Hollywood racism borne of the idea that African-Americans are somehow worse on the scale of interracial intolerance) and Kerry Washington was in that garbage dump of a film as well, so it probably shouldn't have surprised me that she'd take Django Unchained.
    No it isn't. It's not any different than the many films where a white character is racist. That this one happens to have a racist black character is not saying some sweeping statement on a whole race. Plus again, Kerry Washington being a main character who is not racist does disprove that point. It's a bit of a cheesy film in general, but not a racist one in my opinion.

And personally, I can't wait for Django Unchained.
    Last edited by PsychoGoatee; 12-20-2012 at 08:29 AM.
    DROKK IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Anderson View Post
    Or willingly participating in the ad campaign for Black Snake Moan(where he is in a Luke Cage like pose with wifebeater and big ass chain attached to Christina Ricci ).
    Ricci by all accounts was pretty upset by it (after she saw it). I seriously can't see SLJ caring one way or the other(that or he thought it was funny).

This man bought the movie rights to Ennis' The Pro.

Provocation is kinda his thing. He's become like your go to guy for angry or crazy ass Negroes(Remember Mr. Glass?)

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Provocation is kinda his thing. He's become like your go to guy for angry or crazy ass Negroes(Remember Mr. Glass?)
    Pretty much, look at his tweets

BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoGoatee View Post
    And personally, I can't wait for Django Unchained.
    Ditto. Love Jamies Foxx in everything he does; add to the mix Christopher Waltz, Kerry Washington, Leo and dialogue by Tarantino... it's going to be EPIC! Soooooooooo excited!!! This, Argo, Life of Pi and (of course) the Hobbit. It's gonna be a great Christmas for cinema visits!
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    Harry being a pig is one thing, but that doesn't mean Butcher needs to drive the point home quite so often or so forcefully. Every female character who's not a literal crone gets a nasty, repetitive little monologue in the narration.

And, really, we spend far more time in Harry's head than anyone else's, so I don't know if other characters being less awful matters much.
    You mean stuff like:

"Mab, the Queen of Air and Darkness, was too terrifying to be beautiful. Though every cell in my boy suddenly surged with mindless desire and my eyes blurred with tears to see her beauty, I did not want to come an inch closer. She was a tall woman, well over six feet, and every inch was radiance. Pale skin, soft lips the color of frozen raspberries, long silver-gown of deep frozen green that left her strong white shoulders bare."

Yeah, it gets old. So does the exposition that is meant to catch people up with the story (Which I hate in just about every media).

It is a noticeable element in the Dresden Files, does that make the work itself sexist?

If so, then that is an intentional effect from Butcher's part.

Dresden Files? Hate it racist and sexist.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballard Blues View Post

Anyways, I finished watching all six episodes of Some Girls and for the most part, its nice to a tv series/miniseries centralized on female characters that don't ape off Sex and the City, or worse, demote itself to the level entertainment as circulated by anything produced Nick and Disney (all of which seem to cater to those with the attention span of a gnat). Upfront diversity seems to work on the Barbie Principal, for every two POC, there must be an equal amount of white characters and the background is full of POCs goofing off (but that's to be expected, I suppose). That said, everyone in series with the exception of Viva is absolutely obnoxious, horny (as per the teenage/adult syndrome) and utter parodies most of the time. They all just seem to work on one personality set and never expand beyond that box. I can't stand Amber, the character's ignorance (feigned or otherwise) is not cute or adorable (why someone hasn't shoved her in a locker and left her there is beyond me), Holli is manifestation of the bruiser in everyone who doesn't act on their aggression and Saz seems to work from the unresolved anger issues template herself, both stem from the problematic families boat. Why anyone even allows Viva's brother to touch anything is questionable in and of itself and it definitely crossed the line with the dumb blonde trying to rid her hand of that which I will not utter here. Out of the lot that aren't Viva's friends/teachers, Colin Salmon's character is probably the only one I actually enjoy, primarily because he's nothing being a stone faced secret agent man.

i like Some Girls, even the over-the-top gross scenes. Also, though Viva is more laid back, she is just as horny and eager to get it on with the dude she has the hots for (can't remember his name)

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Dresden Files? Hate it racist and sexist.
    Now, the latter I see, I dispute it, but I certainly understand it. Where do you get the former from?

No time for white drama Ballard Blues's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    i like Some Girls, even the over-the-top gross scenes. Also, though Viva is more laid back, she is just as horny and eager to get it on with the dude she has the hots for (can't remember his name)
    I think his name was Rocky and yeah, I'm not denying that, but I suppose it was easier to gel with Viva's horniness because she was more laid back than her companions.
    “For the natural born smartass, nine times out of ten
    the "smartass impulse" is acted upon before the brain
    has even engaged in first gear.”
    - Stephen King?