Page 358 of 2236 FirstFirst ... 2583083483543553563573583593603613623684084588581358 ... LastLast
Results 5,356 to 5,370 of 33537
    Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar

Looking at the Uncle Sam thread again over at the DC board.

Wow. I've heard of a lack of empathy, but that thread got ridiculous. Also, I never knew that the KKK pathos argument was so persuasive apparently. (hint hint, "white people are under attack!")
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kamikaze10 View Post
    Looking at the Uncle Sam thread again over at the DC board.

Wow. I've heard of a lack of empathy, but that thread got ridiculous. Also, I never knew that the KKK pathos argument was so persuasive apparently. (hint hint, "white people are under attack!")
    Yeah......I just skimmed through that thread.

This phenomenon frankly amazes and terrifies me. There is absolutely nothing to support these baseless claims that white men in this country are being systemically discriminated against. Employment, Education, Health care, Housing, criminal justice, in every one of those areas race plays a factor but it's ALWAYS in favor of white males and there is decade upon decades of data to support that fact.

Centuries of data to substantially contradict the claims or not, I'm going down to the bomb shelter with a copy of Friends: the complete series just to be safe. Let me know when it's 2016

I ust read through a few of the comments in the Uncle Sam thread and I regret doing so. Reminds me of a classmate of mine back in a humanities class who liked to use the same argument that he was more disadvantaged than me, despite all evidence supporting the contrary.

Anyway I got my mother interested in Pacific Rim. All I had to say was that Idris Elba would be in it and bam instant interest. Plus she loves action movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper Cole View Post
    No they don't at least not the the extent that the black characters do. From the Juice's situation, what happened with the sheriffs wife, and especially how things have played out with the Niners and Grim Bastards. It's set up a situation on the show where you have a bunch a white protagonist killing black antagonists left and right. Also the one POC that's part of the main cast is painted as a consistent weak link in the group.

And I'll reiterate that I like the show, but even with me liking it I can still look at how it deals with race a critical eye.
    If not for the Winston family arc and what happens to Otto every time we see him I may be able to say there is a bias, but Everyone not in the club catches a raw deal and half the members of the club do as well. Not saying it's not rough on Brothas just saying there is more than enough crap thrown around...
    I ain't called "harsh reality guy" cause I got the t-shirt. sarcasm is a way of life, it helps me not hurt people.
    more of the same+on FaceBook

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I knew things were fucked when one claimed it somehow ruined Batman's character by not indentifing Dick Grayson's ethnic background sooner. "Some master detective he is.." I was like ...are you serious ? Its not something your gonna see Batman actually have to bring up to people. Its not a serious thing to go....you know Dick Grayson is a Romany Gypsy and so was his parents.

Its good to see the guy realize I was basically laughing at this claim and he's not replied back since.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Preview In-Development Feature Documentary 'Black Russians - The Red Experience'
    http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowand...red-experience

After Watching 'Lincoln' & 'Django Unchained' Tune To PBS For 3-Hour-Long 'The Abolitionists' (Preview)

http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowand...onists-preview

Award-Winning Doc 'Family Portrait In Black & White' Arrives On DVD

http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowand...s-on-dvd-today

Quote Originally Posted by T'Jai View Post
    If not for the Winston family arc and what happens to Otto every time we see him I may be able to say there is a bias, but Everyone not in the club catches a raw deal and half the members of the club do as well. Not saying it's not rough on Brothas just saying there is more than enough crap thrown around...
    I'm not saying there's any sort of bias. What I'm saying is they need to be aware of the dynamic they've set up. Unlike all the other groups the Sons have clashed with the Niners and Grim Bastards were NOT the initial aggressors, they were actually two factions who were working with the club. So while those groups are clearly antagonists at this point I never really saw them as villains.

I'm not saying there's any sort of bias. What I'm saying is they need to be aware of the dynamic they've set up. Unlike all the other groups the Sons have clashed with the Niners and Grim Bastards were NOT the initial aggressors, they were actually two factions who were working with the club. So while those groups are clearly antagonists at this point I never really saw them as villains.
    Understood and they are, if you have ever read any of Sutters responses he said flat out the club is quietly racist, the whole Juice arc with the Sheriff last season was specifically to show that. This whole season (and the issues with the Niners) was catalyzed by Clay playing on the groups Racism. The Grim Bastards aren't really antagonists per say but they are very probably no longer "friends"...
    I ain't called "harsh reality guy" cause I got the t-shirt. sarcasm is a way of life, it helps me not hurt people.
    more of the same+on FaceBook

Yeah, I suspected that the group had some underlying racism. Juice's arc highlighted this pretty well.

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

Quote Originally Posted by T'Jai View Post
    Understood and they are, if you have ever read any of Sutters responses he said flat out the club is quietly racist, the whole Juice arc with the Sheriff last season was specifically to show that. This whole season (and the issues with the Niners) was catalyzed by Clay playing on the groups Racism. The Grim Bastards aren't really antagonists per say but they are very probably no longer "friends"...
    Which bring me back to saying the show is becoming a bit hard to watch. The main protagonists are racist and often blame things on and attack groups of black folks who weren't the initial aggressors. That dynamic makes is hard to root for the protagonist.

And the Grim Bastard are antagonists. No way in hell could things have gone down like they did and there NOT be some problems down the road.

Which bring me back to saying the show is becoming a bit hard to watch. The main protagonists are racist and often blame things on and attack groups of black folks who weren't the initial aggressors. That dynamic makes is hard to root for the protagonist.

And the Grim Bastard are antagonists. No way in hell could things have gone down like they did and there NOT be some problems down the road.

True. Same with Boardwalk and Mad Men for that matter. (ok, Mad Men is more of a lack of viable minorities situation)

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

Grrrrrl paaaaooooowwwaaaaaarrrrr!

http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowand...ray-dvd-in-feb

True. Same with Boardwalk and Mad Men for that matter. (ok, Mad Men is more of a lack of viable minorities situation)
    I haven't been able to get past the first couple episodes of Man Men. With that show it's not so much about racism but the casual sexism and misogyny.

And don't even get me started on American Horror story (though to be fair the stuff on that show is supposed to be disturbing).

Yeah, I suspected that the group had some underlying racism. Juice's arc highlighted this pretty well.
    The writers may be just trying for authenticity here.

Hunter S. Thompson's book on the Hell's Angels states that similar stuff played out with them back in the day.