Page 356 of 2236 FirstFirst ... 2563063463523533543553563573583593603664064568561356 ... LastLast
Results 5,326 to 5,340 of 33537

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoGoatee View Post
    I like Idris a lot but... does he? I like him, he did stand out in The Wire. And I like seeing him in stuff, even in quirky smaller roles like say Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance. But he doesn't seem like a leading man type for a lot of roles. He actually is kind of soft spoken, has a bit of a laidback vibe to him, he has some unique charisma, but I'm not sure if he has it coming out the ass. Just sayin'. I mean hey, I love Ted Raimi, but not everybody gets the lead roles.

And hell yeah Pacific Rim looks very promising.

Speaking of actors from The Wire, it was very cool to see Cutty on The Walking Dead this season. Personally, that guy, Chad Coleman, he's a guy I think has more leading man potential than Idris. Just personal taste.
    Right there you pretty much described Denzel Washington...

And Idris Elba has actually stood out in nearly everything he's been in. He has a remarkable amount of presence. I've actually noticed that a good segment of people are fans of his yet have never actually seen The Wire. They know him from Luther, Thor, The Office, and that Tyler Perry movie he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper Cole View Post
    and Sidney Poitier and countless others

And Idris Elba has actually stood out in nearly everything he's been in. He has a remarkable amount of presence. I've actually noticed that a good segment of people are fans of his yet have never actually seen The Wire. They know him from Luther, Thor, The Office, and that Tyler Perry movie he did.
    a lot of folks haven't seen Luther. Luther, soft-spoken he is not.

nevermind that we have a bunch of white leading men who are as exciting to watch as paint dry (and even if they flop, they get more tries) and some that no one would consider 'leading man material' that have knocked it out of the box.

i like SOA, but Hunnam aka Jax, isn't going to make me run to the theater, and yet, it seems like he's the main protagonist

Contributions needed...

Invisible Warriors: African American Women in World War II
    by gregory s. cooke

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...world?ref=live

Eh, personally I think Denzel is better at intensity and with a greater range than Idris. Just personal taste. As for Sidney Poitier, not sure why you consider him laid back. He seemed to have an intensity to him, Mr. Tibbs, even in Guess Who's Coming To Dinner. Just sayin folks, naming other actors doesn't change my personal opinion of Idris, and they all have vastly different styles. And I do dig Idres, just I can see why he's not getting a lot of leading roles. He seems like more of a character actor kind of guy to me.

I agree that Jax from SOA is a bad actor, so there's something ha.
    Last edited by PsychoGoatee; 12-13-2012 at 09:18 AM.
    DROKK IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kamikaze10 View Post
    BTW, how do you all feel about the Karen Berger resignation?

It bummed me out, but it's also making me hungrier. I know comics go beyond Marvel and DC, and that's way more visible in places other than the United States. But within the US, I feel like there's a void that can potentially be filled.

There's also a problem that needs to be fixed (the dependence on Diamond and LCS'), but I'm hoping as we transition to digital comics, that might become less of a problem.
    I was waiting for someone to post this...

Personally, I can't help but get caught up in the significance of the announcement. Not only did it happen less than 30 days after the announcement of the ending of Vetigo's long-standing symbol in "Hellblazer," but it happened just shy of the imprints 20th Anniversary. I think the loudest message it sends is the era DC is entering and Marvel is NOW fully entrenched in.

Marvel and DC are now fully married to their parent companies, and as such they are no longer in this business to take risks with new or unproven concepts and characters. Yes, you could cite The Dark, and to a certain extent The Edge lnes, but ask yourself this question. If Justice League becomes anywhere near as big as the Avengers and the powers that be don't see the potential profit in them, will those lines stick around? Not when corporate logic says...

1) Each quarter must be more profitable than the last.
    2) Exploit what makes us money in the short term, even if it means screwing ourselves over in the long term.

This is part of the reason why Berger step down. There's no more room for her in the R&D farms the publishing arms now are. Does this mean the kind of creativity that a bunch of us are searching for in this medium truly dead? No. It means that we'll have to find it elsewhere or create it ourselves.
    Those who refuse to learn from History, will repeat History as they wonder "What the F*ck happened?"

Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post

nevermind that we have a bunch of white leading men who are as exciting to watch as paint dry (and even if they flop, they get more tries) and some that no one would consider 'leading man material' that have knocked it out of the box.

i like SOA, but Hunnam aka Jax, isn't going to make me run to the theater, and yet, it seems like he's the main protagonist
    I like the show too, but it's becoming hard to watch with how EVER black character gets crapped on.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoGoatee View Post
    Eh, personally I think Denzel is better at intensity and with a greater range than Idris. Just personal taste. As for Sidney Poitier, not sure why you consider him laid back. He seemed to have an intensity to him, Mr. Tibbs, even in Guess Who's Coming To Dinner. Just sayin folks, naming other actors doesn't change my personal opinion of Idris, and they all have vastly different styles. And I do dig Idres, just I can see why he's not getting a lot of leading roles. He seems like more of a character actor kind of guy to me.

I agree that Jax from SOA is a bad actor, so there's something ha.
    I don't know if we can really judge his ability to handle a lead role when he hasn't really gotten a shot to be in one.
    Last edited by AgPhoenix; 12-13-2012 at 09:33 AM.
    Those who refuse to learn from History, will repeat History as they wonder "What the F*ck happened?"

Quote Originally Posted by SilverZeal View Post
    Lightweightz.

Dats pretty damn gd & we'll kp close watch on it.

Chek out sum of d others we'v bn closely watching on kickstarter:

H.O.P.E.: Tales of the Nuclear Family by Raymond Ayala

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...y?ref=category

Unsounded Comic Volume 1 by Ashley Cope

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...1?ref=category

The Time of Reflection by Alex Wilson

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...n?ref=category

Mars: Daedalus Two -- A New Realistic Sci-Fi Graphic Novel by Jeffrey Morris

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...hic-n?ref=card

MIDNIGHT TIGER comic by Ray-Anthony Height

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ht-tiger-comic

Wild Blue Yonder - a 5 issue full color series.
    by Zach Howard Mike Raicht Austin Harrison

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...eries?ref=card

Telikos Protocol by Jay Douglas - Vanquish Interactive

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...0?ref=category

Nowhere Man Pre-Order Reloaded
    by Jeromewalford

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...oaded?ref=card

Kung Fu Swagga! #1
    by Adrian Engmann

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...gga-1?ref=card

No time for white drama Ballard Blues's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    wasn't charlie from it's always sunny gonna be in there

*hasn't watched the video*

speaking of mecha series, bokurano is insane

I also liked 00 Gundam and Gundam Wing

#don't judge me
    I couldn't tell you who was or wasn't gonna be in the film since I haven't followed the production of the film that closely since it's announcement (if I had, I probably would've known Idris was always going to be 'secondary' in the sense that the guy from Sons of Anarchy and Rinko Kikuchi were the protags.

Dude, I adore(d) Gundam Wing; it was one of my fandom and anime gateway's next to Sailor Moon, Ronin Warriors and DBZ. #no shame, #no judge. I can't say the same about 00 Gundam as it is one of the newer Gundam series that I never watched after I got bored with Gundam Seed (and Gundam in general). The same can be said of Bokurano, though I'll definitely look into it.

I've watched about half of Luther and the second season of The Wire as purchased by one of my parents; I had no real idea of what was going on in the latter because I didn't watch S1q, but yeah, I'd agree with this sentiment. Idris is everything but soft spoken in either series.
    “For the natural born smartass, nine times out of ten
    the "smartass impulse" is acted upon before the brain
    has even engaged in first gear.”
    - Stephen King?

And one of them was the mega flop known as John Carter.
    Wasn't the other one Battleship?

He wasn't going to be the one to carry that series (Granted, I've no fucking clue what they thought WOULD carry that horrid idea). Will Smith wouldn't have been able to salvage that movie's box office.

Luther is his most convinng acting work, i was really impressed by the character he was playing. Hard man to like he played.
    He could show much different emotions with so little. The trouble is these american fans like that poster they dont know his best work. They say he doesnt have leading man potential because they see him as a minor role asgard gatekeeper and doing a Tyler Perry film.

Maybe see the show he got Golden Globe noms for and The Wire before you can judge him.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

Slaughter Swamp, I seen't Grundy, I seen't him!

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Never saw either of 'em.

Saw nearly all the stuff up to Stardust Memory.

After that it kinda got silly to me.
    you should really watch them

00 Gundam is kind of divisive though >_>

Quote Originally Posted by Ballard Blues View Post

Dude, I adore(d) Gundam Wing; it was one of my fandom and anime gateway's next to Sailor Moon, Ronin Warriors and DBZ. #no shame, #no judge. I can't say the same about 00 Gundam as it is one of the newer Gundam series that I never watched after I got bored with Gundam Seed (and Gundam in general). The same can be said of Bokurano, though I'll definitely look into it.

I've watched about half of Luther and the second season of The Wire as purchased by one of my parents; I had no real idea of what was going on in the latter because I didn't watch S1q, but yeah, I'd agree with this sentiment. Idris is everything but soft spoken in either series.
    oh man I totally forgot about Ronin Warriors! Ryo of the Wildfire! Anubis! That and so many of the fights on Gundam Wing. Heavyarms was a cool ass mecha

Gundam 00 is alright, the first season is great but then the second season starts to go downhill kinda IMO.
    they label me a villain cause of how I express my feelings

Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar

Wait, 00 is the divider?

As in, people LIKED Seed and Seed Destiny?

Good god, mainstream anime fans are worse than I thought. Then again, I shouldn't act that superior, since I have a clear Universal Century bias. (Most of the realistic Gundam series' are UC)

Though it is weird that I like realistic mechas more than the ones with the "one mobile suit can nuke a country" type series (see Wing, Turn A, Seed, etc.), I'm still a fan of Super Robot series'...

And G Gundam, but that's a guilty pleasure and a half.
    Last edited by Double 0; 12-13-2012 at 12:43 PM.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com

No time for white drama Ballard Blues's Avatar

Wait, 00 is the divider?

Good god, mainstream anime fans are worse than I thought. Then again, I shouldn't act that superior, since I have a clear Universal Century bias. (Most of the realistic Gundam series' are UC)

Though it is weird that I like realistic mechas more than the ones with the "one mobile suit can nuke a country" type series (see Wing, Turn A, Seed, etc.), I'm still a fan of Super Robot series'...

There are a lot of folk on Gundam or general Anime forums who go into great detail as to why they like Seed/Destiny or why Seed is as valid an entry as the other Gundam titles, though I tend to disagree with them. A lot.

But, the Universal Century in general shocked me good and well with its 'realism', particularly in regards to the OVA's 8TH MS Team and War in the Pocket.
    “For the natural born smartass, nine times out of ten
    the "smartass impulse" is acted upon before the brain
    has even engaged in first gear.”
    - Stephen King?

Wait, 00 is the divider?

G Gundamn? It was like the nightmare child of Gundam and DBZ. (Which didn't stop me from watching every episode.) The world tournament where each country had their representative Gundam? Neo-Kenya, Neo-Holland, and Neo-Mexico's Gundamns still give me a chuckle.