Page 315 of 2250 FirstFirst ... 2152653053113123133143153163173183193253654158151315 ... LastLast
Results 4,711 to 4,725 of 33738
    Slaughter Swamp, I seen't Grundy, I seen't him!

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Mindy's not writing comics anymore, but she does have a weekly column over at ComicsMix, which also has weekly columns from John Ostrander, Michaal Davis, Denny O'Neil, and Mike Gold. (I actually have linked to Davis' column quite often in this thread as it often involves discussions of racial issues in comics.) I believe that Mindy has a fulltime job as the head nurse at a NYC hospital.
    I really like Davis column and have you linking to it in THIS topic to thank :)
    they label me a villain cause of how I express my feelings

Quote Originally Posted by Huthaifa View Post
    I am surprised that Power Man and Thuderstrike couldnt get on YA or Arena.
    Same here buddy....same here!

7th might be correct as I think his dad was Dominican and his mom is black( don't have the mini on me to check ).

I can see people complaining if Vic was in YA as they might cry how he takes some of the spotlight from Miss America who has to some posters here become the Latina fetish role that O.Snooks has for some x-fans. Would he be a good fit for that team, hell to the yes but I still see some people bitching about him being there

I'm happy he's not in AA as that way he isn't cannon fodder people of color tend to be in that specific genre

I suppose that is the advantage of bein connected to major characters. Arana is also missing. Sure x-23 is there but no one expects her to die. She is the katniss of the tale.

But yes it will be hilarious to see reptil or mettle go down to some attack that they should be immune to because the writer failed at research. Also notice how they sent 3 of 4 minorities to the killing fields but only 1 of 4 of the main white characters and none of the LGBTs. But yeah horror story u don't want to be a minority male.

As for Chavez I like her although I do notice the double standard of no one having a problem with her tough as nails attitude
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February

http://www.shawnsjames.blogspot.com/...for-young.html

Is there a market for books targeted at books for young Black boys?

I’ve always believed there was.

When I first started getting serious about writing novels back in 1995, I originally planned to target African-American males. Especially Young Black males ages 14-25. In my mid to late twenties I wanted to create positive stories featuring African-American males as the lead.

Unfortunately, when I went to submit my first book The Changing Soul in 1998, I was vehemently rejected by editors Trade publishers who saw no market for a title with a positive Black male lead. And I still have the letters in a folder to prove it.

I’ve been trying to bring products with Black male leads to the market for Black male readers since 1998. With no success.

Many of the books I’ve tried to submit with positive Black Male leads were vehemently rejected by trade publishers.
    I have been told by a best selling author whose books have been made into movies that there is a market for black males in books.

So my question for you guys-what would it take to attract more black males to read books?

Or is it more of a case of having the product in places where people can find them? Because I didn't know Boondocks, Journey of Allen Strange, Kenan & Kel, Cousin Skeeter, Everybody Hates Chris, Curtis, Jumpstart & Marvelous Effect were books until I found them in used book stores or Borders closing sale.

in case it hasn't been posted yet

‘Rise of the Guardians’ director Peter Ramsey
    In many eyes, Peter Ramsey, director of the upcoming DreamWorks film Rise of the Guardians, is a pioneer: the first African-American filmmaker to direct a major, big budget CG-animated motion picture. Yet for Ramsey, himself, the milestone feels more like a necessary progression of sorts than an executed plan.

The director, who was honored by the African-American Film Critics Association (AAFCA) and the City of Los Angeles at a special screening of the movie on Saturday in L.A., believes the crowning achievement is due to his dedication and focus, sticking out the grind of Hollywood in order to let time open up a world of grander playing fields.

“It’s just like any other part of the industry, or any other part of the working world,” Ramsey told theGrio. “It’s just part of the evolution. Why’d it take so long to have a black president? Same kind of thing, but I think it’s one of the those things – there were a lot of people’s shoulders that I stood on…It was all based on work, and being ready when the right opportunity came along. It really wasn’t anything more special than me doing what you should do anyway, which is work as hard as you can, do as good a job as you can, and be prepared when luck knocks on the door.”

Ramsey’s work in filmmaking dates back to 1989, when he started out as a storyboard artist for the live action film, A Nightmare on Elm Street. As a kid, he grew up in the Crenshaw district of Los Angeles, attending grade school in the neighborhood then heading west-side to the Palisades for an arts-driven high school. He spent two years in college at UCLA before dropping out to pursue his interests in the movie business.

In Hollywood, Ramsey continued up the art department ladder, working with top directors like Steven Spielberg, Ang Lee, John Singleton and David Fincher on some of the more notable films of the last couple decades. He served as Assistant Director on Poetic Justice and Godzilla, among others, and primarily focused his work on designing live action stories before shifting gears to animation on 2004’s Shark Tale.

With his directorial debut, Rise of the Guardians, out in theaters today, Ramsey pulls from his roots in traditional filmmaking and his keen sense of flair for the imaginative. The story follows a dedicated camaraderie between “North” a.k.a. Santa Claus (voiced by Alec Baldwin); “Bunny,” the Easter Bunny (Hugh Jackman); and “Tooth,” the Tooth Fairy (Isla Fisher) as they recruit Jack Frost (Chris Pine) to assist them in saving the world’s children from the darkness of “Pitch,” the Boogeyman (Jude Law). A sophisticated composite of sharp edits, close-up shots, theatrical lighting and 3D visuals, the film very closely resembles the feel of a live action feature, and is as funny and unique as it is charming.

Furthermore, it’s testament to Ramsey’s bold and visionary demeanor, a vivid thinker who opted to have Santa Claus step out with arms covered in tattoos of the naughty and nice.

[...]

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    http://www.shawnsjames.blogspot.com/...for-young.html

I have been told by a best selling author whose books have been made into movies that there is a market for black males in books.

So my question for you guys-what would it take to attract more black males to read books?

Or is it more of a case of having the product in places where people can find them? Because I didn't know Boondocks, Journey of Allen Strange, Kenan & Kel, Cousin Skeeter, Everybody Hates Chris, Curtis, Jumpstart & Marvelous Effect were books until I found them in used book stores or Borders closing sale.
    there is a market, however, beside the issue of how to get new YA books attention and places for someone to pick it up, there are a lot of obstacles.

where they're placed in a bookstore or ebookstore, how the industry obscures the non-white protagonists on the covers (even using a white model if they don't go for some abstract artwork) against the wishes of some of the authors ("Liar" was one of the more known fights), promotion and support.

R.I.P. Dwayne McDuffie Greg Anderson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    in case it hasn't been posted yet

‘Rise of the Guardians’ director Peter Ramsey
    You know, I saw this film and then met the director afterward and thought it was cool that it was a black director in charge of this fun animated flick. He's also a big comic fan from what he told me and evidence shows in this film. But a part of me was hoping that the lead child in the film to be black rather than two of his buddies who was more in the supporting role.
    Greg Anderson: Blackized Anti-Sterotypist!

Free Umbra!

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Role Models.

I've been speaking with a lot about that with a few creators... Trailers... Bad ass youtube trailers for short stories E-reader ones best if they're free) that lead to the novels. They need to be made aware of a produce before they could ever be expected to consume them...
    I ain't called "harsh reality guy" cause I got the t-shirt. sarcasm is a way of life, it helps me not hurt people.
    more of the same+on FaceBook

there is a market, however, beside the issue of how to get new YA books attention and places for someone to pick it up, there are a lot of obstacles.

where they're placed in a bookstore or ebookstore, how the industry obscures the non-white protagonists on the covers (even using a white model if they don't go for some abstract artwork) against the wishes of some of the authors ("Liar" was one of the more known fights), promotion and support.
    This, back in high school I worked at a Borders and if was extremely hard to place a book lead/created by any person of color in any prime real estate spot because one( or a couple ) of my damn near completely white coworkers would move them back to the crappy spots and replace it with "pick your fav mildly known book with a pretty white girl on the cover" when I had a day off. Do you know how aggravating it is to try and push Octavia Butler and instead someone goes behind your back and bumps her for some writer who couldn't hold her used pens

Quote Originally Posted by The Once And Forever View Post
    Role Models.
    The Paul Rudd movie with Stifler? Would not have guessed that.
    The Punisher: I’m going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pants™ Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and you’ll die screaming! And I’ll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

Quote Originally Posted by Genki Sudo View Post
    7th might be correct as I think his dad was Dominican and his mom is black( don't have the mini on me to check ).

I can see people complaining if Vic was in YA as they might cry how he takes some of the spotlight from Miss America who has to some posters here become the Latina fetish role that O.Snooks has for some x-fans. Would he be a good fit for that team, hell to the yes but I still see some people bitching about him being there

I'm happy he's not in AA as that way he isn't cannon fodder people of color tend to be in that specific genre
    YA loses a female (Stature), a Black male (Patriot) and the Android (Vision 2.0) adds two White "alien" guys (Marvel Boy & Lil Loki) swaps a Latina (Ms. America) for the Black male and gets praised round these parts for its diversity.

But since they didn't touch the gay couple that was there in the first place, nobody noticed that there are more White males there now than when the book
    started(you wanna count Iron Lad who leaves after the first arc? Go ahead).

As far as YA novels go, you have to let the audience know the product is out there before it can be supported. If Sistah Souljah first novel (which given what the sequels were like, may have been a fluke talent wise) you give an audience characters and a situation that they can relate to and they will respond.

It wasn't that long ago when nobody wanted to do novels for Black Women. But they do now.

They have seen that there is a market for it.

YA: 2 white gay males, 2 white females, 1 black male, 1 robot, 1 straight white male
    YA Now: 2 white gay males, 1 white female, 1 Latina, 2 straight white males and 1 ?????

He can break even as long as the final addition is not a white male but yeah I don't intepret that many white faces as a smashing win for diversity.
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February

I have found some books that have bucked that-Transcendence (1 of a 3 series book) by Cj Omololu-more folks are buying the book based on the cover-which features a black guy being held by a white girl and the Door of No Return.

The funny thing about both books-they are written by white people-Door of No Return's author is from England.

This, back in high school I worked at a Borders and if was extremely hard to place a book lead/created by any person of color in any prime real estate spot because one( or a couple ) of my damn near completely white coworkers would move them back to the crappy spots and replace it with "pick your fav mildly known book with a pretty white girl on the cover" when I had a day off.
    One thing I noticed is you will see a display for black books-however the subject matter isn't attractive. You know ride or die chick, dumb chick runs to Pooke who got out of jail, Pookie wants revenge and a few christian fiction book. The ones I'm talking about might be on shelves and when they sell out-you can forget about a reorder unlike those others.

Bad and crappy means it will be in bulk. Which explains why McDaniels's Static is in bulk unlike Miles Morales, Powerman 2, Scalped, Black Panther and even I Vampire can't be found in book stores.

Role Models.
    That can help but like 7th said-you still have to find the books and convincing people that the story can happen to someone of color. Part of the issue with our kids is that they don't believe that they can do certain things because they don't see it.

I think in the guy whose article I posted is upset about. I think Milestone was in the same boat. Certain black publishers & people screamed we can't do stuff like we saw in Hardware, Icon, Static, Xombi and others because for years we never saw it in DC or Marvel. I think we have gotten too closed minded in what we can do.

I mean if Obama, Milestone and others can't convince folks that anything is possible-the battle is lost.