Page 263 of 2234 FirstFirst ... 1632132532592602612622632642652662672733133637631263 ... LastLast
Results 3,931 to 3,945 of 33510

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    So Marvel NOW! is just a rollcoster of emotions when it comes to diversity. I thought I'd make a list of things to praise, and focus on (I'm not listing ALL the comics, just highlighting ones where the spotlight is on diverse heroes). Please do add to the list, because I'm sure I've forgotten some comic along the way.

WOMEN:
    Captain Marvel. Female solo series, written by a woman
    Fearless Defenders. Female team of heroes
    FF. The new Future Foundation team, with 3 women, 1 man.
    Journey into Mystery. Second female solo series, ALSO by a woman
    Red She-Hulk. THIRD female solo series.
    Uncanny X-force. Female lead team, all women save Puck

LGBT:
    Astonishing X-men. Karma and Marvel's first LGBT couple remain in their comic
    X-factor. Rictor/Shatterstar continue their relationship, started in 2009
    Young Avengers. Marvel's longest running gay couple reappear, Wiccan being one of the main leads
    - Hulkling, Karma, Northstar, Rictor, Shatterstar, Wiccan = 6

RACIAL DIVERSITY
    New Avengers. A team famously lead by Luke Cage is about to be lead by T'Challa, having him as the main focus and story drive.
    Uncanny X-force. Lead by Psylocke and Storm, and Bishop is back!!!
    - Cecelia Reyes, Dani Moonstar, Forge, Karma, M, Marcus Johnson, Miss America Charvez, Misty Knight, Storm, T'Challa = 10 (plus Eden Fesi, Falcon, Sunspot) (also Mettle, Nico Monroe, Hazmat... but do we really count this as a "win"?)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    P.S. also, didn't see it mentioned here: lost in the "Obama wins" shuffle; America elected their first openly gay Senator: Tammy Baldwin; and Mark Takano will become the first openly gay Asian-American in Congress
    I've crunched some numbers, and according to statements Hickman's made, most if not all of the as-yet-unrevealed members of his Avengers team will be either women or minorities (or both).
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon McKinnis View Post
    Didn't Kyrsten Sinema win? She's bisexual and atheist. Good news for sexual liberation and for us Atheists.
    You are 100% correct, becoming the 1st openly bisexual member of Congress.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    I've crunched some numbers, and according to statements Hickman's made, most if not all of the as-yet-unrevealed members of his Avengers team will be either women or minorities (or both).
    I don't really like including Hickman's Avengers; when you've got 22+ characters, it's easy to get a few women and minorities in... statistically the comic is no better on representation than any other, when divided down to equal other team numbers. Also; for all the diversity; it could turn out to be the Iron Man and Thor show, we don't know yet (as you can tell, I am less than impressed with his Avengers comic right now ).
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 11-09-2012 at 11:07 AM.
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

I don't really like including Hickman's Avengers; when you've got 22+ characters, it's easy to get a few women and minorities in... statistically the comic is no better on representation than any other, when divided down to equal other team numbers. Also; for all the diversity; it could turn out to be the Iron Man and Thor show, we don't know yet (as you can tell, I am less than impressed with his Avengers comic right now ).
    Well, you put in Eden Fesi, so you already included it. And it's not "a few"; it's 12. Of those, we've seen 8: Falcon, Black Widow, Captain Marvel, Sunspot, Eden Fesi, Spider-Woman, and new female versions of Captain Universe and Smasher. That leaves 4, which is one less than the number of total spots left in the roster once you add the confirmed white guys.

And everyone's unimpressed right now, because the book hasn't come out yet.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

Well, you put in Eden Fesi, so you already included it.
    There's a reason why he's in brackets and not included in the total.

And it's not "a few"; it's 12. Of those, we've seen 8: Falcon, Black Widow, Captain Marvel, Sunspot, Eden Fesi, Spider-Woman, and new female versions of Captain Universe and Smasher. That leaves 4, which is one less than the number of total spots left in the roster once you add the confirmed white guys.
    We've had 17 confirmed so far, yes? (Steve Rogers, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, Hawkeye, Wolverine, Spiderman, Hyperion, Cannonball, Sunspot, Eden Fesi, Falcon, Black Widow, Captain Marvel, Spiderwoman, Captain Universe and Smasher). Of those 17, 5 are women. That's not even a 1/3 ratio. Of those 17, 3 are racial minorities. NONE are LGBT (that we know of). If you take the percentages, and whittle the team down to the classic 7 members, keeping the same percentages. That's two women of 7 and 1 racial minority, and no LGBT characters (meaning of the 7, you still have 4 white, straight, men). I'm not saying we boycott it... but it's NOT something to praise for diversity, based on those numbers. At-least not yet. That said, it IS still diverse, so that's good (but again, with 21 slots; how hard is that to achieve?)

And everyone's unimpressed right now, because the book hasn't come out yet.
    I agree we need to wait and see... BUT... plenty of comics excite and thrills fans before they come out (see the massive love of Young Avengers). It's not impossible to both excite fans and not spoil your plans for the comic too much.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 11-09-2012 at 11:59 AM.
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Anderson View Post
    It's an ongoing series of minis. The first season is 6 issues. If it does well, they'll do another mini and so on. But it all depends on sales and fan support.

Directed at everyone! We need to jump on it!

Lemme know what you think when you read it.
    I didnt know the series existed until your post here and i tried first issue and i enjoyed the story,art,the potential good SF story. So thanks to you i added it my pull list.

Thanks for mentioning it.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

We've had 17 confirmed so far, yes? (Steve Rogers, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, Hawkeye, Wolverine, Spiderman, Hyperion, Cannonball, Sunspot, Eden Fesi, Falcon, Black Widow, Captain Marvel, Spiderwoman, Captain Universe and Smasher). Of those 17, 5 are women. That's not even a 1/3 ratio. Of those 17, 3 are racial minorities. NONE are LGBT (that we know of). If you take the percentages, and whittle the team down to the classic 7 members, keeping the same percentages. That's two women of 7 and 1 racial minority, and no LGBT characters (meaning of the 7, you still have 4 white, straight, men). I'm not saying we boycott it... but it's NOT something to praise for diversity, based on those numbers. At-least not yet. That said, it IS still diverse, so that's good (but again, with 21 slots; how hard is that to achieve?)
    So we're ignoring the part where Hickman said 12 of the characters (out of 22) would be women or minorities. Got it.

Edit: And now that I think of it, we don't know the ethnicity of Captain Universe or Smasher.
    Last edited by Michael P; 11-09-2012 at 12:19 PM.

So we're ignoring the part where Hickman said 12 of the characters (out of 22) would be women or minorities. Got it.
    Hickman also said he is making a great effort to focus on diversity; then gave us New Avengers, minus ANY women or LGBT characters. I hope, hope, hope you are right, and he was truthful, and the team is 50/50 women. AS OF RIGHT NOW, it is not (also... the priority is clearly not pushing women... hence why even after all this time, we only know 5 confirmed -- of the supposed 12 = NOT EVEN HALF). Also... still no LGBT characters...

Edit: And now that I think of it, we don't know the ethnicity of Captain Universe or Smasher.
    Do you honestly think their both going to be dark skinned lesbians?

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kamikaze10 View Post
    The world is already on that slope.
    Even IF we're on the slope (and I like to think positive, and believe society WILL rise above it)... do you really want to be getting on a skateboard and whizzing down it any fast than we are already going?

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kamikaze10 View Post
    If you put yourself out there, there is always a risk. In real life, and digitally.
    Watching what you say isn't that difficult.
    Agreed... and the dangers of social media constructs like facebook and twitter (esp. twitter) is still being discovered. But naming idiotic (possibly drunk) kids. Full names, where they go to school... come on. How are you comfortable with this???

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Remember how I posted weeks ago that sales for the Walking Dead has surged due to the TV Show... well folks....

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com...op-10-but-why/

The Walking Dead is now in the Top 10 comic book sales chart for October.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Remember how I posted weeks ago that sales for the Walking Dead has surged due to the TV Show... well folks....

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com...op-10-but-why/

The Walking Dead is now in the Top 10 comic book sales chart for October.
    It's possible but we don't really know which the article you linked even points out

Quote Originally Posted by Genki Sudo View Post
    It's possible but we don't really know which the article you linked even points out
    It doesn't have the sales number yet (ICV2 should have it at some point)... but has moved to #9 on the sales chart if you read the article. In any case its clear the show is powering the sales . With each year its helped the series. Last year sales was in the 30,000 range . This year a nice jump up 20,000.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

It doesn't have the sales number yet (ICV2 should have it at some point)... but has moved to #9 on the sales chart if you read the article. In any case its clear the show is powering the sales . With each year its helped the series. Last year sales was in the 30,000 range . This year a nice jump up 20,000.
    Which also included a hit downloadable video game on two platforms that have gotten rave reviews and is getting a disc release for those who don't do downloads and oh yeah another thing the article mentions, "All New Starting Point"

There's several factors involved not just one

Which also included a hit downloadable video game on two platforms that have gotten rave reviews and is getting a disc release for those who don't do downloads and oh yeah another thing the article mentions, "All New Starting Point"

There's several factors involved not just one
    As far as the downloadable video games go , popularity from the show spawned this as were seeing.

Also the issue 103 doesn't scream "All New Starting Point" to try and lure readers. It actually continues off the build from "Something to Fear".

As far as the downloadable video games go , popularity from the show spawned this as were seeing.
    No as the show has ripped off big scenes from the game and there's also the thing that it runs parallel to the comic( even the makers said they worked with Kirkman himself and never with anyone involved with the show other then the actor who plays Glen ), the other video game coming out that's a fps is based on the show

Also the issue 103 doesn't scream "All New Starting Point" to try and lure readers. It actually continues off the build from "Something to Fear".
    It does as this is the first arc for those coming off the last tpb if they've been following the show first, the article again points this out

It does as this is the first arc for those coming off the last tpb if they've been following the show first, the article again points this out
    Except "Something to Fear" ended in #102. Its not like Image as a company is that fast with TPB's to publish one in a month of #103 arriving . In all the sales started to go upward as #100 was building. Which "STF" was running in from 96-102. The increase stayed even after the gimmick covers of 100. A lot stayed to follow the rest of the arc and have stayed with #103.

Not really as the show has ripped off big scenes from the game
    I know its semantics, but Im not sure if "rip off" is the appropriate term since the folks at Travellers Tales are working with the TV show to tie the game in
    Support your local roller derby league