Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Insanity is colorblind Mecegirl's Avatar

Default Discussing Online Reactions to President Obama's Re-Election

Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mecegirl View Post
    HAHAHA!!!

Accountability is just painful sometimes, ain't it?
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com

Hooooly crap....dis had betta b md very public across d various news channels with videos & pictures of deez fools all-out humiliation of such absurd achaic & blutantly segregational behaviour.

BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

Thumbs down

I have to agree with a lot of the comments in the article; while it's important these posters be reported (and ANY threat against any political figures goes to the secret service, that's a no brainer); I also have to agree with what some of the posters have said about the article: I'm not loving/comfortable with the idea of parading their names, where they go to school and their history across the internet. They are not celebrities; and their private life (and details) is NOT something someone else should so gleefully post on-line. It opens a very bad (and dangerous) flood-gate. Report them to the school, to the police, post the article replacing names with "Person A" at a major university in the Mid-west; sure... but printing their names... I'm not liking that.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 11-09-2012 at 12:11 PM.
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

I love it. It's the power of social media turned around.

They knew what they were doing, and they should have understood the risk of putting shit like that out there. The flood-gate has been open; businesses do this all the time when looking at prospective employees.

Nobody should be blaming Jezebel IMO. The only people to blame are those racist idiots. They disgraced themselves, their families, their environment, their schools, and further perpetuated the oh so familiar stereotypes about white people in the Southern part of the US.

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

This is interesting, though (from the same website):
    http://jezebel.com/5958664/all-top-p...en-in-politics

New Hampshire elected a female governor, one women to the Congressional district, re-electing another woman to the other Congressional district. Meaning THE TOP FIVE POLITIC OFFICES in New Hampshire are ALL held by women. Cool!
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kamikaze10 View Post
    I love it. It's the power of social media turned around.
    They knew what they were doing, and they should have understood the risk of putting shit like that out there. The flood-gate has been open; businesses do this all the time when looking at prospective employees.
    Nobody should be blaming Jezebel IMO. The only people to blame are those racist idiots. They disgraced themselves, their families, their environment, their schools, and further perpetuated the oh so familiar stereotypes about white people in the Southern part of the US.
    It sets a VERY BAD precedent... that if someone does something or says something (or is alleged to have) any blogger in the world can post who they are, where they work, where they are educated... does this NOT concern you? That anyone's privacy is "free game" to anyone with a blog? It's a step worse than journalism (at-least journalists are accountable on some level).

This is a BAD thing to praise; and a slope we do not want to tread upon.

how many times must it be said and how many times do people have to get in trouble for it to sink in? what you write on the 'net will have consequences. looking for privacy on twitter/facebook/tumblr/reddit/etc nominates you for a darwin award.

you are responsible for your words and actions, don't cry when your shit gets exposed. as one of the commenters said, if he had to deal with racism since he was kid from these type of idiots, then these bigots need to deal with their own words.
    Last edited by 7thangel; 11-09-2012 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    It sets a VERY BAD precedent... that if someone does something or says something (or is alleged to have) any blogger in the world can post who they are, where they work, where they are educated... does this NOT concern you? That anyone's privacy is "free game" to anyone with a blog? It's a step worse than journalism (at-least journalists are accountable on some level).

This is a BAD thing to praise; and a slope we do not want to tread upon.
    The world is already on that slope.

If you put yourself out there, there is always a risk. In real life, and digitally.

Watching what you say isn't that difficult.

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

HAHAHA!!!

Accountability is just painful sometimes, ain't it?
    I gotta wonder how many Christians High school, Unis there was in that article of the schools they went to and how many of the teens was from small towns or Southern parts of US. Is it okay to be conservative,ignorant then i wonder.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

Again, yes I'm comfortable with it.

For what they said, they deserved to be outed, and take every consequence stupid comments like those should bring.
    Last edited by Double 0; 11-09-2012 at 12:37 PM.

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

they are not idiotic (possibly drunk) kids, they're racist bigots. can we stop mollycoddling them and softening what they are? they are not harmless because they're in high school or on their way to college/uni.

Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    they are not idiotic (possibly drunk) kids, they're racist bigots. can we stop mollycoddling them and softening what they are? they are not harmless because they're in high school or on their way to college/uni.
    Exactly. Sometimes, a racist is just a fucking racist. Not just "they said something racist" or "they have some prejudices", but straight up bigots.

I've even lost potential job opportunities for far less than that. Why? Because businesses are always looking to find out who you are before you get employed. To protect their interests.
    Last edited by Double 0; 11-09-2012 at 12:43 PM.

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

Again, yes I'm comfortable with it.
    For what they said, they deserved to be outed, and take every consequence stupid comments like those should bring.
    Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    Then (alas) I guess I stand alone in my concerns for where this could lead. Please continue; I will be silent on that subject.

Insanity is colorblind Mecegirl's Avatar

NO ONE WAS OUTED!

These were public tweets, this was not said on someone's facebook or anything were you had to know the person in order to access this information. This was not said under an alias.The names and schools of these kids were listed on their public accounts, no one had to dig for this information. All one had to do was be on the right hash tag to see these posts and acquire this information. If the kids wanted to say this stuff without a way for the entire world to see, AND for the entire world to know who they were, they should have said it on a private account. This was similar to shouting in the middle of the street.
    Last edited by Mecegirl; 11-09-2012 at 01:10 PM.