Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sounds like this book ain't that good. Overall reviews here seem to be negative. As for myself I didn't like issue 1 enough to read on any further.

Certified Mar-Vell Zombie Comet Man's Avatar

Well I love this book, and the sales look pretty healthy, so I'm confident it'll be around for awhile.

And count me in as preferring Perez's art over Maguire's art in the book, but I think they're both excellent.
    I seriously miss Captain Mar-Vell.

Quote Originally Posted by Space_Butler View Post
    If I were to take the pages set in the past, I could probably get 1 and a half solid issues of this series. The rest of the pages, to me, aren't worth reading a second time. We learn nothing, almost nothing is accomplished, it's just so simplistic and dull despite the scale of what's happening on the page.

This book is almost intentionally ignoring it's own premise: heroes from another world having to make their way in this one. None of that is happening. They're just doing the same stuff that's happening in all the other cape books (and in far better ones much more deserving of my money, at that). I'm going to be buying issue 0 to get the backstory, since the past stuff has been this title's strong point since the beginning. Past that, I think I'm done unless Maguire becomes the full-time artist (I just can't handle Perez anymore. I respect what he's done in the industry, but his art on this book just isn't working for me. The flashback scenes by Kevin Maguire, on the other hand, are EXTREMELY expressive even when very little is happening. His faces remind me of those from Amanda Connor, a bit.) or Levitz recognizes what's working and what isn't in this book.
    I agree with you point the book is ignoring its own premise. We really only get that in the flashbacks but that's what the total book should be about. I would say the past scenes (since its a fairly cool method) should be about how they get settled into this new world but the current time should be how they get settled within the superhero community. And I have to say I have started to develop a real distate for Maguire's faces at times. Just starting to find them annoying. But anyways, this first arc seemed so uninspired.

Yeah, I think I'm done with this book. 4 issues in, and the two main characters are still being written as the blandest and most generic of 'female super-friends' that I''ve ever read. I wouldn't have a problem if the new Huntress and PG had different personalities to their previous incarnations - but to read them written with absolutely no personality is just painful.

"The Tardis, when working properly, is capable of many amazing things. Not unlike myself."

Quote Originally Posted by _Pandora_ View Post
    Sounds like this book ain't that good. Overall reviews here seem to be negative. As for myself I didn't like issue 1 enough to read on any further.
    This forum isnt represenative of the general comic buying public. Its way off actually. The loudest fans scream against titles they dont like while they sell well, then praise low selling crap titles as genious while nobody anywhere else buys them

Issue 2 sold 46,359 and clocked in at #40 , down from #20 for the first issue which isnt that bad of a first to second issue drop off, and thats good enough to keep it being published for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Kymeric View Post
    This forum isnt represenative of the general comic buying public. Its way off actually. The loudest fans scream against titles they dont like while they sell well, then praise low selling crap titles as genious while nobody anywhere else buys them

Issue 2 sold 46,359 and clocked in at #40 , down from #20 for the first issue which isnt that bad of a first to second issue drop off, and thats good enough to keep it being published for awhile.
    Surely it's longevity depends very much on where it finally levels out?

"The Tardis, when working properly, is capable of many amazing things. Not unlike myself."

I'm not giving up on the title just yet myself. It has problems and if those are addressed, it can be an awesome book. Seems that almost every book that debuts well then falls off a good bit have the same problem... characters that aren't unique and facing very very bland villians. In fact, I think the bland villians are a crucial miss. They don't give the heroes a chance to showcase themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sizzers View Post
    Surely it's longevity depends very much on where it finally levels out?
    Yeah, but theres a long way to fall before it gets even close to the trouble zone. And dcs famous for floating low selling titles just because they can. I wouldnt worry too much about Earth 2 and Worlds Finest. Expect a year or 2 at least. Even if they went south we would see a JSA book launched pretty quick with alot of fanfare.

I expect worlds finest to eventually revert back to a earth1 superman/batman title when Powergirl and Huntress go home to earth 2. Whenever that happens due to story or sales or creative change.

I guess im just saying relax and enjoy the characters, theyre not going away any time soon.

Well overall the respone hasn't been to good from fans. That goes for my local comic shop too.

Sales aren't indicative of quality and anyone who's halfway intelligent already knows that. Just because someone buys a ticket for a movie doesn't mean they walked out happy, does it? I'm buying Avengers vs X-Men even though as soon as I close every issue I regret my purchase. Yet 2 weeks later, I'm right back buying the next issue. The only way sales could equal quality is if people were allowed to return books they disliked, THEN you could see the amount of copies "sold" as far as how many people are buying AND enjoying them. And what is a low-selling "crap" title being hailed as genius that's ONLY being praised by this forum (ie: there's no critics on websites also giving the same praise)?

FF purist-snob

Like Legion Lost, this book has a built-in end point. Send the characters home and absorb them into Earth 2 and Legion.

I do think that a lot of the problems mentioned have to do with Kara being dumb-downed to give Helena more of a role. By themselves, Kryptonians can be seen as truly awesome, but when teamed with a non-meta human, we see stretches and suspensions of disbelief to show the two characters as having equal roles.

I think the big glowing dude went on too long, myself, but with the switches to times past, the stories contain more and do go on longer. Ah, well, I guess the closing of portals and his resemblance to the Anti-Monitor may mean something. Or not.
    "Cant say it better than CaptCleghorn." - RolandJP

I guess im just saying relax and enjoy the characters, theyre not going away any time soon.
    Well, they are from me. As I already mentioned, I'm dropping the book, as of now.

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

This forum isnt represenative of the general comic buying public. Its way off actually. The loudest fans scream against titles they dont like while they sell well, then praise low selling crap titles as genious while nobody anywhere else buys them.
    This is SO true, the one's who complain the loudest on comic boards generally also like only the books that sell the least in terms of what the general public prefers to consume. This comment is genius and should be repeated at the start of EVERY thread here, lol. I'm liking the current Worlds' Finest, and I am taking the fact of their lack of progress against the irradiated guy to start off the next arc which I think will be them realizing that after five years they simply have to start interacting with the other heroes of Earth Prime if they are going to get anywhere, both literally and figuratively.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF (lol, 5 of my 8 titles all written by SOULE)

Certified Mar-Vell Zombie Comet Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Pandora_ View Post
    Well overall the respone hasn't been to good from fans. That goes for my local comic shop too.
    Well that's your comic shop. At mine everybody seems to like it.
    I seriously miss Captain Mar-Vell.

I thought this issue was quite enjoyable, and the series as a whole has been a good compliment to Earth 2. I like the old school feel of the fight scenes, myself.