View Poll Results: What did you think of USM #13?

Voters
57. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Great! Can't wait for the next issue!

    34 59.65%
  • Good. I enjoy where this story is going.

    16 28.07%
  • Meh. Could have been better, but I didn't hate it.

    6 10.53%
  • Bad. I don't really care for this story.

    1 1.75%
  • Awful. Wish I didn't read it.

    0 0%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 99
  1. #31
    Veteran Member JaggedFel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    9,512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I'm probably the only one on this board who is going to feel this way, but I didn't really care for this issue at all. The pacing seemed really awkward to me, it felt like very rigid jumps from one stage to the next as opposed to smooth transitions. This whole Uncle Aaron thing is kind of hard for me to buy too, where are all the people that thanked Miles for saving them? There was literally a bus full of people that know Miles was acting heroically but they all decide to clam up when the camera's start rolling?? I also don't believe for a second that Miles would be all over the news when Washington DC was obliterated, half the US was abandoned, and Texas had declared it's independence.

    To me this felt a lot like Bendis doing as little as possible to acknowledge the greater UU so he could give a reason for us to feel bad for Miles. To me at least it had the opposite effect, I would've probably felt worse for Miles if Bendis had thrown him in the mix with everything else that is going on and then also had him dealing with the death of his uncle. Unfortunately, Miles is being kept in a little glass container so that it seems only his personal life is what matters.
    Actually pretty natural people care a lot more when someone they know dies then when some random
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February

  2. #32
    All Around Geek Havok C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    593

    Default

    Isn't the Triskellion and SHIELD for that matter still under Director Flumm? I may have missed something, but if he still is in charge then aren't SHIELD gunning for the Ultimates still? I thought that's the whole reason why Hawkeye, Black Widow and Falcon haven't been seen yet either.

  3. #33
    Critical Critic nosocialize100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England.
    Posts
    3,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CryoFlare View Post
    Looks like Miles is afraid to use his venom blast now because of what happened to his uncle. He had about three chances to use it and didn't.
    I noticed that as well. A nice subtle choice by Bendis.

    Definitely a meh for me. It's nice to have all the action since this book was limited in that regard but all of a sudden the pace is kicked up for no reason.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

  4. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrV View Post
    Only conflicting element is Iron Man's armor in the cover of Spider-Men #5. As long as he doesn't wear the movie armor within the issue what you claim will be official, otherwise, confusing as to be expected from Bendis's timeline.
    I think in Tony's case it depends on which issue was drawn first and if that is the real Iron Man and not some Mysterio hologram.


    And as for the book-whoever drew this issue-needs a raise! I', just now seeing the issue and the page where Miles is crying. I felt sorry for Miles in that scene.

  5. #35
    Elder Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    mansfield, MA
    Posts
    20,866

    Default

    This was seriously the best issue so far, it wasn't perfect but man did it hit all the right notes with me.

    I really liked the little drama Miles and Genke had with their roommate, and the talk Miles had with his dad. Those scenes were so real and they contrasted nicely with the superheroics in the story and that's really a key element for a good Spider-Man story.

    On top of that the action was really good, perhaps a little drawn out but it was really light and fun(the scene with the cake made me laugh).

    But the kicker?

    I loved the interaction with May and Gwen, it was so natural and I hope we see more of that as the series progresses.

    Oh and Captain America showing up? Definitely a nice way to end the book.

  6. #36
    @ALLENRICKETTS Codah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Dallas. TX
    Posts
    1,405

    Default

    This issue was good. I like Miles' hesitation to use his venom-blast and the talk he had with his dad was really touching, David killed it there. I agree with the people who say the Batroc fight went on too long, it totally did. I felt like the ending was a little rushed. I figured May and Gwen would have stronger feelings about this new Spider-Man other than very little casual conversation and then handing over the web-shooters. It'll probably be expanded in the next issue so it's only a minor complaint.
    Comics are more better.

  7. #37
    Alrighty Then atlasjj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    I'm just glad that, after over a decade, we finally got the end of Iron Man's origin now that he has his new suit.
    That made me laugh.

    Anyway I liked the issue and didn't mind the fight with Batroc. And Cap does look bad in his current costume. As for the ending with Aunt May and Gwen I was not expecting that.
    Pull: Avengers, New Avengers, Mighty Avengers, Captain America, Superior Spider-Man, Superior S.M.T.U, Ultimate Universe, Chew, Invincible, Batman & Smallville.

  8. #38
    Senior Member Trallis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Providence
    Posts
    1,203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LJ-90 View Post
    -Miles in his room. Seeing him crying was heart breaking and it's a testament to Bendis' writing that I care so much about Miles. His conversation with Miles' dad was also really good, it felt real and you could see that, even with all his prejudices and everything, Miles' dad is a good person, he loves his son and wish they all could lead a normal life.

    -Ganke: Even if he wasn't funny like in previous issues, I loved that he was there for his friend. And he wasn't pushing the subject, he let Miles talk about it when he wanted to, and that's weird, especially in 13 year olds. I liked that he told Miles that he knew that the whole murderer thing was a lie and he was willing to help him. Ganke is an awesome character and fits in his best friend role.
    I agreed with everything you said, but the above two especially.

    Miles crying was a moving scene for a bunch of reasons. One is obviously that only a good human being would mourn the death of someone who hurt them so bad, even died trying to kill him. The other emotion I can identify with is the feeling that you've lost someone you thought you knew, who never actually existed. The caring cool adult, role model, mentor, and helping hand that he believed in gradually became a monster and eventually tried to kill him. Anyone who's ever mourned a loss understands that. He's just mourning the loss of a great guy who never really existed.

    I was thinking the same thing as you during the Ganke panels. I was saying damn he is pretty good at being Miles' best friend. I can see why Miles hangs with this guy. This issue's Ganke time was really important because it established that Ganke has probably known Miles a long time and they've been very close. I say this because he knows Miles well enough to blindly trust that Miles isn't guilty of Murder. Miles didn't even have to tell him he didn't do it. He said himself "I know you didn't do this". It's cool that Miles has a friend like Ganke. If Peter got his powers at 13, he may not have done so well. It was his love life that gave him the support system he needed in his early days. Pete didn't really have any guy friends. Miles on the other hand doesn't seem to have much interest in being a ladies man right now, so Ganke is his entire support structure.

    Oh and who else felt bad for judge?

  9. #39
    Splendiferous Spider Hero ImmortalIronFist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    3,716

    Default

    Well, I totally got suckered into buying this issue thinking it mattered to DWF, and I didn't find it that enjoyable. I thought it read way too quickly, and the moments with May, Gwen and Cap didn't really feel like they had too much emotional weight to me.

    I don't really feel like anything happened...I guess part of it is the difficulty I have getting behind Miles as Spider-Man in general.

    Ultimate Batroc was fun though.
    Hey, that tiger is flying a spaceship.

  10. #40
    Senior Member Trallis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Providence
    Posts
    1,203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I'm probably the only one on this board who is going to feel this way, but I didn't really care for this issue at all. The pacing seemed really awkward to me, it felt like very rigid jumps from one stage to the next as opposed to smooth transitions. This whole Uncle Aaron thing is kind of hard for me to buy too, where are all the people that thanked Miles for saving them? There was literally a bus full of people that know Miles was acting heroically but they all decide to clam up when the camera's start rolling?? I also don't believe for a second that Miles would be all over the news when Washington DC was obliterated, half the US was abandoned, and Texas had declared it's independence.

    To me this felt a lot like Bendis doing as little as possible to acknowledge the greater UU so he could give a reason for us to feel bad for Miles. To me at least it had the opposite effect, I would've probably felt worse for Miles if Bendis had thrown him in the mix with everything else that is going on and then also had him dealing with the death of his uncle. Unfortunately, Miles is being kept in a little glass container so that it seems only his personal life is what matters.
    I'm not gonna say you can't not like the issue, I understand your points.. but I disagree with a little bit.

    Miles getting thrown into it all wouldn't make sense. He's attending school at a school in NY. That's not where everything is really going on.. and he doesn't even know any of the mutants. He barely knows the Ultimates. We know the Ultimates wouldn't recruit Miles to go get involved with their fight because they just had a big meeting when Peter was alive to decide if he should even be allowed to be a super hero. He had already showed considerable skill by that point and was 16.

    Miles is Spider-Man. He belongs in his city fighting street level crime as much as he can.

  11. #41
    Senior Member Trallis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Providence
    Posts
    1,203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by starman View Post
    Great issue. Not a fan of David's Cap, but I don't think anybody could make Cap look good in that costume.
    He draws the face weird though.

  12. #42
    Senior Member Trallis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Providence
    Posts
    1,203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CryoFlare View Post
    Fair enough, but I don't think how he gets his web shooters is part of his origin. I think his origin story stopped once people started seeing him as Spider-Man and how he gets his web shooters as part of another story.
    I disagree.. kind of. The web shooters ARE a part of his origin.. it's just that his origin, when we look back on it, will include the fact that he did NOT have web shooters. Because he's Spider-Man, the question of where he gets his webs from is important. When his origin story is told, it will be mentioned that he was given them by Aunt May(At least I hope this happens).

    If Cap takes them away, Tony could always take them and be like "guess what, I made these, I decide whose they are"

  13. #43
    Ultimate Mod! Plawsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    7,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    To me this felt a lot like Bendis doing as little as possible to acknowledge the greater UU so he could give a reason for us to feel bad for Miles. To me at least it had the opposite effect, I would've probably felt worse for Miles if Bendis had thrown him in the mix with everything else that is going on and then also had him dealing with the death of his uncle. Unfortunately, Miles is being kept in a little glass container so that it seems only his personal life is what matters.
    I agree, to an extent. It's definitely not a great tie-in for DWF, but it's about as good as it could be. Bendis hasn't done enough in the first twelve issues to make it believable that Miles could help out in any significant way with the big problem. And it seems silly, as I mentioned earlier, that Cap would take time NOW, while there are Nimrods and Texas and Ti'an and no DC, to meet this new Spider-man.

    But, for what it is, I think it's a good issue. It just probably would be a little better if it came after DWF.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trallis View Post
    I disagree.. kind of. The web shooters ARE a part of his origin.. it's just that his origin, when we look back on it, will include the fact that he did NOT have web shooters. Because he's Spider-Man, the question of where he gets his webs from is important. When his origin story is told, it will be mentioned that he was given them by Aunt May(At least I hope this happens).
    You could say that everything that happens to a characters is a part of his origin, though. Part of Peter's origin was learning about his dad's Venom experiments and then taking care of that problem. And that was over 30 issues into the book.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

    I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

  14. #44

    Default

    This is easily the best issue featuring Miles to date. It's still not going to make it to my pull list, but at least something is happening now. (I just hate that it's picking up the tone of the rest of the Ultimate U. I don't understand why they have to destroy the country every year in the UU. This level of destruction has become trite. I don't care what cities are destroyed because the cities in the UU don't matter. Marvel -- even the UU in the early days -- used to focus on trying to provide a "real world" feel for its comics. The real world doesn't get destroyed every six months. I wish they would just blow the whole freaking UU Earth to bits and have done with it. It's boring.) But I digress. This is the best issue of New Replacement Ultimate Spider-man yet. Miles still doesn't have much personality, but he's showing some gumption in this issue. And it still needs a new writer. Bendis just isn't as sharp as he used to be.

  15. #45
    Senior Member Trallis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Providence
    Posts
    1,203

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    You could say that everything that happens to a characters is a part of his origin, though. Part of Peter's origin was learning about his dad's Venom experiments and then taking care of that problem. And that was over 30 issues into the book.
    To me it's only the things that happen early on that have a permanent effect on the character's abilities, or the way he conducts his super hero game for the rest of the history of the comic. There are origins and there are new developments. I guess it really doesn't matter what part you call the origin.. it's all part of his story.. and one thing I like about Ultimate Spider-Man is each story matters. Any time in the series a change can happen that permanently effects the character. I guess when some people say origin they mean how did he originally get powers.. but others mean how did he get where he is now

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •