Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Hawkeye #1 *Spoilers*

Wow.
    This was awesome, the story was great but that art...wow.

It was alright.

Four and a half stars is far too much.

Eh, I can see where she got the Nice Guys Finish Last idea.

SPOILERS BELOW:

That said, I'm still very much unsure whether I'll have a long-term future with this title. You think they'd have learned from the last Hawkeye series, but apparently not. There's literally one page with Hawkeye with a bow and arrow, and that's the first one. Seriously, he's the avenging archer, not Bullseye or someone. Use a damn bow and arrow, not playing cards and coins (though at least there were no guns, so thank goodness for small favors). Not to mention never being in costume (not even that horrible Ultimates/movie costume, much less the real Hawkeye costume), which was one of the main (editorially mandated) failures of the last Hawkeye series.

Still, I don't know that Fraction really got his personality. Yeah, he's a bit dick-ish, but I don't see Hawkeye as whining about not having powers all the time. He's cocky enough that he knows he's the equal of Thor and Cap and Co. despite not having powers. That's the entire point of the character. He's faced down Elders of the Universe on his own, why is he running away from a couple of two-bit hoods with guns? That scene made no sense. He sees the two guys pulls guns, so he runs for cover 30 yards away, even though from the art it sure looked like he was far closer to them, i.e. it would have been far more effective to go toward them. Then, the dog attacks and even though he's now farther away than he was when he started, he decides to turn around and lays out the two guys. I just don't see Hawkeye running away there in the first place.

It was solid enough (no guns or idiotic ninja shit) that I'll come back for issue two, but if Hawkeye's never in costume or using a bow and arrow, I'm not going to stick around that long.

Thread split for those wondering.

that is the problem with Hawkeye being the focus vs part of a team. A bow is a distance weapon and most people want their characters face to face.

It was an ok book not sure were all the money is coming from when did he get rich?

"This is what he does when he is not being an Avenger."

That's all you need to know about this title. Get on board or get out.

Interesting take on Clint. The structure was a bit overly ambitious but I see where Fraction is going here.

Quote Originally Posted by celticguy View Post
    that is the problem with Hawkeye being the focus vs part of a team. A bow is a distance weapon and most people want their characters face to face.

It was an ok book not sure were all the money is coming from when did he get rich?
    I presume that will be revealed. Interesting take on the distance thing...that would be a great aspect to play up thematically.

How is Aja for keeping on a monthly schedule? because i would really like to see this run with as much of his art as possible.

BANNED

they have interim arcs planned for Aja to stay on schedule. I can't remember who's doing them, though.

that said, I loved this. but I don't care about his costume or his bow and arrows being front an center as much as I care about character and story.

This was excellent, the lots of money makes me think Robin Hood (rob from the unworthy rich and give to the poor), although I am not sure if Clint follows that mind set. I do like what he said about Cap and how he put the main baddie in his place.

Definitely, a 70s crime book vibe and very, very strong creative team - but I am not a crime/noir fan so if I do continue with this, it will be in trade format. Matt is really impressing me writing wise lately (The Mighty Thor not withstanding), but I prefer his wonky, trippy material (Defenders) to the more realistic street material covered here.

I hope it proves to be great for Hawkeye fans and a success.
    This signature will self-destruct in five seconds...

BANNED

if you dug the writing here check out Casanova. this is the Matt that writes Casanova and Iron Fist.

wow surprised by this one "bro"! really good book " bro"! art was wow "bro"!! lol

I figure Clint actually probably saves most of his money from the Avengers stipend (at least after the disaster that was working for Cross Enterprises), since he's usually lived in the mansion and thus wouldn't need to pay for room and board. He's spent so much time on the team (or TBolts) that he probably doesn't really have much of a real life.

Now I'm wondering if anyone would have sold super heroes a life insurance. Probably not, but if so, he could probably have collected a lot from when Bobbi died.

I loved it. One of the best single issues this year IMO. The art was gorgeous and the colors were perfect.
    It was a wonderful character set up, building Clint as a true every man with real world problems. Here is the real world Avenger and the man behind the mask. I hope it sells b/c I want to keep reading.

Quote Originally Posted by motteditor View Post
    I figure Clint actually probably saves most of his money from the Avengers stipend (at least after the disaster that was working for Cross Enterprises), since he's usually lived in the mansion and thus wouldn't need to pay for room and board. He's spent so much time on the team (or TBolts) that he probably doesn't really have much of a real life.

Now I'm wondering if anyone would have sold super heroes a life insurance. Probably not, but if so, he could probably have collected a lot from when Bobbi died.

I thought of the salary but still it would be a long way from enough to buy a NYC apartment building even in a poorer area. Maybe it is just comic exageration with the money.

I did not think of the insurance that is possible I guess.

I hope it is explained.