Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 126
  1. #106
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Imnottelling!
    Posts
    24,941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Quest View Post
    Iron Lad was ALWAYS going to go evil, he was Kang.

    And while yeah, it might be a little bit cliche to have the Academy fail, it will be just as, if not more cliche for me, to have one survive and mope about it. There's more to do with a villain who who knows the team and knows how they think and can constantly remind them they failed them, than one who tries to put a brave face on or whatever.

    Unless it leads to them having sessions with Trauma. I miss him (but then I also miss Baron von Blitzschlag)
    Honestly, if they become a villain, I think they will be massively misused. Like become another Hood henchman and get beaten up every other story.

  2. #107
    Senior Member Legion_Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    3,345

    Default

    It would depend. All villains are never used well unless their name is Doom, and even he gets jobbed occasionally.

    I suppose it depends what the point of Avengers Academy is as a book - are they going to finish the book and is it cancelled, and if no, are these characters going elsewhere? If so, is it more interesting to use the opportunity to set up a villain for the teachers, as they are more likely to be used elsewhere, or keep them hero but sad, and then we never actually see that story told because the book is canned.

    It's annoying not knowing for sure, unless I've missed it somewhere, what the status of this book and it's cast will be come Marvel Now. Will it continue with a cast shake up, or is this it?
    I Will Raise my Throne above the Stars of your Gods

  3. #108
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Imnottelling!
    Posts
    24,941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Quest View Post
    It would depend. All villains are never used well unless their name is Doom, and even he gets jobbed occasionally.

    I suppose it depends what the point of Avengers Academy is as a book - are they going to finish the book and is it cancelled, and if no, are these characters going elsewhere? If so, is it more interesting to use the opportunity to set up a villain for the teachers, as they are more likely to be used elsewhere, or keep them hero but sad, and then we never actually see that story told because the book is canned.

    It's annoying not knowing for sure, unless I've missed it somewhere, what the status of this book and it's cast will be come Marvel Now. Will it continue with a cast shake up, or is this it?
    I would not be surprised if the book ends in November and becomes something else in December. (Like say that Teen book hinted at so much?)

  4. #109
    Senior Member Legion_Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    3,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    I would not be surprised if the book ends in November and becomes something else in December. (Like say that Teen book hinted at so much?)
    If it does that, these characters are dead in the water unless their name is Reptil imo (or X-23, but that goes without saying, bub).

    Best result would be this book survives and that book starts up, with occasional cross overs.
    I Will Raise my Throne above the Stars of your Gods

  5. #110
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Imnottelling!
    Posts
    24,941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Quest View Post
    If it does that, these characters are dead in the water unless their name is Reptil imo (or X-23, but that goes without saying, bub).

    Best result would be this book survives and that book starts up, with occasional cross overs.
    We'll see where it goes. Shame if we lose either Hazmat or Mettle or both of them. They were the ones I would have liked seen interact with other teams.

  6. #111
    Senior Member Legion_Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    3,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    We'll see where it goes. Shame if we lose either Hazmat or Mettle or both of them. They were the ones I would have liked seen interact with other teams.
    I just cant see the interest being there. Reptil has the bonus of being known from that cartoon, Finesse has the potential Taskmaster connection and Striker and....Julie (gone blank on her code name) have the gay thing.

    Mettle and Hazmat have each other, and that's about it. I can't see another writer or an editor mandating them in to a book as heroes, but could if one went villain.

    But like you say, it is all about waiting to see where it goes
    I Will Raise my Throne above the Stars of your Gods

  7. #112
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Imnottelling!
    Posts
    24,941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Quest View Post
    I just cant see the interest being there. Reptil has the bonus of being known from that cartoon, Finesse has the potential Taskmaster connection and Striker and....Julie (gone blank on her code name) have the gay thing.

    Mettle and Hazmat have each other, and that's about it. I can't see another writer or an editor mandating them in to a book as heroes, but could if one went villain.

    But like you say, it is all about waiting to see where it goes
    Thing is, Reptil is pretty generic with personality. If he showed up with say, Wiccan, they would pretty much be the same character (Minus the gay thing.)

    Finesse would be interesting with others.

    Striker and Julie, now, I think Julie might be the thing that's hindered Striker. Before, he would associate with other characters really well as the show off/jerk. Now he barely leaves Julie's side, and it's mostly about him being gay than it is his fame hunt or things like that. It could work, but I think Striker has been reduced as a character. I'm not saying it was bad that he was revealed to be gay. That's perfectly fine. I'm saying that it sort of became his character and is starting to overshadow the fun interactions he once had.

    Thing is, sure, Mettle and Hazmat have each other, but Mettle and Hazmat do bounce well with other characters. Hazmat is pretty bitter and its very palpable, and Mettle is very sweet and chill. They can have scenes where they are appart and talking to other characters and don't HAVE to be next to each other to have fun interactions. I see those two as the most versatile of the cast.

  8. #113
    Senior Member Legion_Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    3,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Thing is, Reptil is pretty generic with personality. If he showed up with say, Wiccan, they would pretty much be the same character (Minus the gay thing.)

    Finesse would be interesting with others.

    Striker and Julie, now, I think Julie might be the thing that's hindered Striker. Before, he would associate with other characters really well as the show off/jerk. Now he barely leaves Julie's side, and it's mostly about him being gay than it is his fame hunt or things like that. It could work, but I think Striker has been reduced as a character. I'm not saying it was bad that he was revealed to be gay. That's perfectly fine. I'm saying that it sort of became his character and is starting to overshadow the fun interactions he once had.

    Thing is, sure, Mettle and Hazmat have each other, but Mettle and Hazmat do bounce well with other characters. Hazmat is pretty bitter and its very palpable, and Mettle is very sweet and chill. They can have scenes where they are appart and talking to other characters and don't HAVE to be next to each other to have fun interactions. I see those two as the most versatile of the cast.
    I agree in regards Reptil, I don't like the character that much, but he does have an interesting and marketable power, and one that is likely fun to draw.

    Finesse is X-23 without claws, and I'd imagine X-23 would be the character more likely to show up elsewhere.

    Striker, Id agree that he has been reduced a bit to being the gay character, with Julie as his hag, but the fact he is gay, and so is Wiccan, could lead to drama in regards Wiccan and Teddy and what if Striker makes moves on one or the other, or both? So again, there is more to write for there in terms of a story going forward.

    With MetMat, notice even you note how they bounce off each other and those around them, but one without the other.....can they still maintain that? Mettle mopping takes away the sweetness and the chill, Hazmat mopping without Mettle to allow her to show a nicer side, just become a bitter bitch, and that is a villainous character trait, not so much a hero one.

    Plus, if Wiccan is in the book, and likely a focus, he's lost a team mate (as you well know) and will be mopping about that, will they want another character in the same book with the same story, but even more connected to the person they've lost?
    I Will Raise my Throne above the Stars of your Gods

  9. #114
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Imnottelling!
    Posts
    24,941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Quest View Post
    I agree in regards Reptil, I don't like the character that much, but he does have an interesting and marketable power, and one that is likely fun to draw.

    Finesse is X-23 without claws, and I'd imagine X-23 would be the character more likely to show up elsewhere.

    Striker, Id agree that he has been reduced a bit to being the gay character, with Julie as his hag, but the fact he is gay, and so is Wiccan, could lead to drama in regards Wiccan and Teddy and what if Striker makes moves on one or the other, or both? So again, there is more to write for there in terms of a story going forward.

    With MetMat, notice even you note how they bounce off each other and those around them, but one without the other.....can they still maintain that? Mettle mopping takes away the sweetness and the chill, Hazmat mopping without Mettle to allow her to show a nicer side, just become a bitter bitch, and that is a villainous character trait, not so much a hero one.

    Plus, if Wiccan is in the book, and likely a focus, he's lost a team mate (as you well know) and will be mopping about that, will they want another character in the same book with the same story, but even more connected to the person they've lost?
    We seen down Mettle during Fear Itself. We seen down Hazmat.

    Just saying, those two characters are really a major force.

  10. #115
    Senior Member Legion_Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    3,345

    Default

    I dont disagree, in this book, I just don't know how much impact they would have outside of this book, especially with Wiccan, Kid Loki and various other characters being much stronger in terms of presence and fan following.
    I Will Raise my Throne above the Stars of your Gods

  11. #116
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Imnottelling!
    Posts
    24,941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Quest View Post
    I dont disagree, in this book, I just don't know how much impact they would have outside of this book, especially with Wiccan, Kid Loki and various other characters being much stronger in terms of presence and fan following.
    Doesn't mean that mixing the kids from the other books won't hurt them! Gillen on Kid Loki and Wiccan would be a Tumblr fangirl orgasm!

  12. #117
    Senior Member Legion_Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    3,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Doesn't mean that mixing the kids from the other books won't hurt them! Gillen on Kid Loki and Wiccan would be a Tumblr fangirl orgasm!
    Lol, screw the girls on Tumblr, I'm fanboying over the possibilities presented by those two together (although granted probably minus the fanart/slash)!
    I Will Raise my Throne above the Stars of your Gods

  13. #118
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Imnottelling!
    Posts
    24,941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Quest View Post
    Lol, screw the girls on Tumblr, I'm fanboying over the possibilities presented by those two together (although granted probably minus the fanart/slash)!
    It will be EVERYWHERE!!!!

    ...you know, why haven't we gotten AA cosplayers yet?

  14. #119
    Gamebreaker Wellman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,610

    Default

    Honestly, I always wanted Mettle to go a little bit darker, like how his first focus issue showed he was capable of and I really wished they would have expanded his powers somehow, to be more then just scary look and super strength.

    Frankly, it would be a shame if the Marvel universe lost any of the promising young people in this series such as Hazmat, Mettle, Finesse or Reptil. But if I had to choose, Mettle would be the one I see go, there are a number of scary but fun loving big strong guys out there, he unfortunately if this is the last arc is expendable and honestly not nearly developed enough that I can see another writer care to use him for much besides muscle.

  15. #120
    Senior Member Bookem Danno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Starleafgirl View Post



    If you take First X-Men to be canon (and I think everyone is trying really, really hard not to), there's supposedly going to be some event that causes humans to hate mutants. I think that's bullsh*t and I really, really hate that Marvel is thinking that way (giving humanity a "real" reason to hate & fear mutants).
    This cannot be agreed upon enough and repost on every forum and bulletin board on every internet before it is too late. The same was never done when secondary mutations were made canon and that was hated retcon. Hopefully a mutant clone like X-23 doesn't have a secondary mutation or a trace memory of First X-men.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •