Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Avengers VS X-Men #9 Review *SPOILERS*

So, AvX 9 is out and it went about as expected. Here's the bullet points.

-The Avengers are losing people left and right. Hope is once again convinced she can take 'em, but Spidey tells her she needs to train and her moment will come. Good scene, honestly, even if I'm tired of Hope's back-and-forth characterization in this series.

-Storm's "volume 3" X-men see Illyana and Colossus chucking Thor into into the Limbo-Volcano-Prison. They complain that for once they were in the right, fixing the world, but the Phoenix was screwing it all up.

-Cyclops finds Emma in an inhospitable part of the world, seeking solace. She admits she's starting to lose it and wants Scott to stay with her, to keep her in check. Unfortunately she also tells him that Hope is in K'un-Lun, and Scott goes running off to get her. Next page, Emma kills a man who ran over a 13yo mutant and didn't report it because "it was just a mutie" ... in front of his family at the dinner table. Whoops. Good scene honestly. This was one of the few good character moments in this series.

-Storm goes to Wakanda to talk to BP, who announces he's had their marriage annulled (does a little happy dance!). Giving up, she tells him to tell Cap she wants to help. Cut to Storm leading the Avengers into the mountain to free their teammmates.

-Peter and Illyana proceed to kick their asses, but for some reason, when Spidey sacrifices himself as a distraction *BOTH* feel the need to take him down. Really? One Phoenix can't handle Spiderman? TWO have to, and thus let ALL THE AVENGERS ESCAPE?! Weak McQueen, man.

-On the upshot, a battered and near-dying Petey sense Illyana's also losing it, while Peter's still wrestling with, and he basically manages to talk them into fighting each other. THe Phoenix then blows up the mountain. No idea who won, if anyone.

-Issue ends with Cyclops ripping his way through the dimensional barriers to K'un-Lun and telling Hope its time to come home.

A solid issue, all the way around, really. The highlight for me is the annulment of the Black Panther/Storm marriage. If I can't have Scott/Jean or Peter Parker/Mary Jane, then the least *stupidest* gimmick marriage I've seen in comics can do is fall apart too. Yes, I'm petty.

Unfortunately, this has continued the trend of "the Avengers were really right" line that I've seen building, dreading. Now just 3 issues left till the god-awful climax where the Phoenix will be resolved by some Deus Ex Machina asspull involving the Scarlet Witch and Iron Fist and the X-men are left a hollow shell of themselves, to be filled by the time-travelling Original Five, and Wolverine. *grunts* Please, God, let me be wrong.

BANNED

0 out of 10

BANNED

Not including that joke marriage being finished obvs.

why the x-men must be the bad guys and not the stupid avengers? they suck and marvel editors suck! they turned their most profitable comic book heroes into villains in hope that the Crapengers sales go up... i'm pretty sure this isn't going to happen.

The X-men aren't the bad guys. Some of them are. So far Cyclops hasn't done anything wrong.

I love Spidey beating he two worst X-men with nothing but words.
    XPOTM:September 2010

Gallifrey endures. blackphoenix's Avatar

This 'event' has totally gone off the rails. I wish they would've just given Hope the Phoenix Force and not bothered with this P5 nonsense. Now, as usual in these versus stories, the fighting heroes have to team up against a common foe. WEAK.
    Thus do I write the first chapter of my new scripture. And the first verse is "Let it all burn."

PHOENIX INVICTUS!

I should be upset, but this event as played as everyone thought it would… There is no even a reason to shock or bother, just let’s be done with this already.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Washout View Post
    The X-men aren't the bad guys. Some of them are. So far Cyclops hasn't done anything wrong.

4 out of 5 of the Phoenix 5(who are basically the only starring X-Men in the story, not including Logan) have been acting OOC/Psychotic. Only Cyclops has managed to be fine so far because he's so obsessed/careful. It's blatantly a one sided story.

-2 out of 100

Spiderman is that omega-level???? i'm dunzo, like rpatz/kstew.

Blackphoenix, I agree with you. This shit has fallen off the tracks. This really should have been Hope getting the g-d Phoenix and then blowing the world up. This P5 nonsense is Zzzzzzzzz.

Indeed, that was an awesome scene.

Provided you ignore the "Why did BOTH Of you need to take him out while letting the prisoners escape?" aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by Graconius View Post
    I should be upset, but this event as played as everyone thought it would… There is no even a reason to shock or bother, just let’s be done with this already.

What's making you throw up your hands? I'm of two minds in the event. I like it, but I'm really bothered by the treatment of Emma in the event. A lot of it is "turn your brain off" popcorn stuff, but it is what it is right?

peter and illyana are 2 of the best x-men...

Quote Originally Posted by Barachiel View Post
    Indeed, that was an awesome scene.

Provided you ignore the "Why did BOTH Of you need to take him out while letting the prisoners escape?" aspect.
    Well the Rasputins aren't very smart.
    XPOTM:September 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie_Solanas View Post
    -2 out of 100

Spiderman is that omega-level???? i'm dunzo, like rpatz/kstew.
    The two of them were arguing over the Phoenix Force. Colossus thought Magick was falling to the dark side, while Magick thought Colossus wasn't using his powers properly. Spider-Man pointed out one of them could just take the power from the other if they really cared that much.

Elder Member

I thought Emma would be more discreet.
    X-Poster of the Month: July 2013
    The Best There Is At What I Do