Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Confused by custom titles

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    It's a maybe with Aaron, but I don't like Ribic's artwork, based on his time on Ultimates.
    Have to disagree with you there, mate. Ribic's art is beautiful and his rendering of Asgard and Thor in Ultimates was very good. I hope Dean White comes on board too.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    I like the choice for artist, though I'm not exactly sure how well he can do action scenes. I don't know who the writer is and what he's done, I'm just hoping he can come up with an interesting story. And I hope he gets some time to tell a good one before another mindless crossover event happens. Thor definitely needs a major injection of epic characterization. Fraction's run started off very strong for the first six issues, but faded slowly after the "Fear Itself" nonsense. Thor really needs a strong showing. I'd like to see a lengthy storyline.
    Are you referring to Fraction's run with the Silver Surfer story? His run actually started earlier than that with World Eaters arc (this was after Gillen/Billy Tan's run when Thor went back to its classic numbering in the 600's) and the wheels were already coming off then. I think the 1st six issues of the later Thor series was good only because Coipel was illustrating it -- his art tends to turn stuff that's chicken poop into chicken salad.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk_Is View Post
    I cannot wait to see Thor take on Russian-speaking, doped-up mutant dogs in space while fighting humpback bears underwater all to the sounds of diamond-encrusted baseball bats cracking skulls! Can't. Wait.
    That is why I think the ideal artist for this should have been Simon Bisley. And just make it MAX. I want to see Thor impale a Frost Giant with the teeth of Fin Fan Foom.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk_Is View Post
    I cannot wait to see Thor take on Russian-speaking, doped-up mutant dogs in space while fighting humpback bears underwater all to the sounds of diamond-encrusted baseball bats cracking skulls! Can't. Wait.
    Haha! This is exactly why Thor fans should be afraid. Hulk has been very interesting because of the constant mystery about what's been going on during Aaron's run. It's almost like Hulk and Banner are taking turns screwing with each other. The same thing happened in Wolverine when he got sent to hell -- it was literally, what the hell just happened?? It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Thor # 1 had him wake up bald, missing one leg and tethered to the bottom of the ocean

Quote Originally Posted by jpbl1976 View Post
    Are you referring to Fraction's run with the Silver Surfer story? His run actually started earlier than that with World Eaters arc (this was after Gillen/Billy Tan's run when Thor went back to its classic numbering in the 600's) and the wheels were already coming off then. I think the 1st six issues of the later Thor series was good only because Coipel was illustrating it -- his art tends to turn stuff that's chicken poop into chicken salad.
    LOL! QFT! This is exactly what I thought as that story was unfolding: that without Coipel's pretty art to slide through on (and Morales' inks, and Martin's colours) it would have been mostly a waste of the money.
    Mostly moved on to fanfiction.net...

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Haha! This is exactly why Thor fans should be afraid. Hulk has been very interesting because of the constant mystery about what's been going on during Aaron's run. It's almost like Hulk and Banner are taking turns screwing with each other. The same thing happened in Wolverine when he got sent to hell -- it was literally, what the hell just happened?? It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Thor # 1 had him wake up bald, missing one leg and tethered to the bottom of the ocean
    This I would love to read.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by plushbug View Post
    LOL! QFT! This is exactly what I thought as that story was unfolding: that without Coipel's pretty art to slide through on (and Morales' inks, and Martin's colours) it would have been mostly a waste of the money.
    I agree with this, as well.
    Olivier Coipel - The best damned artist on the planet!

Shout out to Kev Walker! You're doing a hell of a job!

Find & follow me on Twitter & Instagram. Check out arfguy

We at least did get Thor brawling with the Surfer, attacking Galactus and Loki sneaking into Sif's bedroom. Those were solid moments. However, the conclusion was never realized to that story thanks to "Fear Itself." Coipel's art is of obvious beauty (best Thor artist since 07) so I agree that his presence on the title greatly elevated its status.

I'm hearing mixed reviews on Jason Aaron's work, so I'll reserve judgement until November at the very least. I'm just yearning for a Thor title to be epic once more.

We at least did get Thor brawling with the Surfer, attacking Galactus and Loki sneaking into Sif's bedroom. Those were solid moments. However, the conclusion was never realized to that story thanks to "Fear Itself." Coipel's art is of obvious beauty (best Thor artist since 07) so I agree that his presence on the title greatly elevated its status.

I'm hearing mixed reviews on Jason Aaron's work, so I'll reserve judgement until November at the very least. I'm just yearning for a Thor title to be epic once more.
    Agreed, there were some good moments there, made fine by the artwork. My personal fave will probably always be the panel from the first round with the Surfer, where we get Thor coming up out of the dust after being knocked down, telling the Surfer this is another in a string of bad days he's been having, and he is 100% in a mood to take it out on somebody. That was basically so credible, so strong as an expressive 'character' moment, that I was fine with it despite thinking at the time that it was a bit "say what?" given these two had been mostly friends since the '70s, and that we'd definitely moved a long way on from the Thor who used to lay it down regularly that it was against his code to ever raise a hand to a friend. Which then got escalated to the "I can kill you on Mars" bit in their second round--glorious artwork, and I know plenty of people who adored that moment, but by then I was just shaking my head and thinking no, this was just waaay too thuggish. Not nearly enough 'character' writing going on, for me to have a sense of this being anybody even remotely related to JMS' Thor (who, in terms of continuity, it seemed this still should be) never mind previous incarnations. Too much brutish threat, from a character for whom it had always been keynotes that he wasn't a killer, and that he'd such terrific power going on, but it was always topped by his principles and dignity as a warrior. Someone you just couldn't get to do anything against his principles without extreme provocation, or stop, once they were offended enough to get him after anybody! I think my willingness to imagine this version as Thor went down in flames in around MT #3 or #4, and I wouldn't say there were more than a handful panels any time between MT #4-6, or anywhere through the whole of Fear Itself, where I could even feel there was any hope of a recognizable character re-emerging.

I wish I could believe there were any hope of it happening now! but as previous posts indicate, it sounds as though this'll be a trade-wait-at-least-the-first-arc situation.

In the meantime, back to Jurgens' run, which has indeed been highly underrated.
    Mostly moved on to fanfiction.net...

Esad Ribic is a great artist,and his art style works really well with the Thor stories.
    Aaron had a great run in the Wolverine stories,and i am looking forward to see his take of Thor.
    Will at least get the first issue of Thor.
    Pull List:New Avengers,Thor,Superior Spider-Man,Mighty Avengers,Swamp Thing,Daredevil,Uncanny Avengers,Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

I'll definitely check this out, I really like Aaron's Wolverine run but this is a very different book; I hope he can adapt and give us a great run.
    I'd love to have Thor back in my pull list.
    KingConan|Hellboy|BlackScience|EastOfWest|Fatale|L azarus|Prophet|Saga|Umbral|Velvet|Harbinger|Rai|Unity|XO
    ASW|Batman|GL+C|JL+U|RL|SwampThing|WonderWoman
    _ N U Avengers|Cap|DD|MK|Thor

It will be way cool to have art like that cover by Ribic on Thor.
    Pull List:New Avengers,Thor,Superior Spider-Man,Mighty Avengers,Swamp Thing,Daredevil,Uncanny Avengers,Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

I'd be surprised if you were hearing mixed reviews of Aaron's work, as I think he's been almost universally praised.

I think the issue at hand is more of his particular style is appropriate for a Thor book. It turned out, for instance, not to be very appropriate for "Hulk".

It strikes me that Aaron's stuff tends to be grounded in the mundane.

Not to say he doesn't do high concept work, but I think Thor tends to work best when there is a feeling of high stakes, when he's part of an almost Wagnerian epic. Or at least that was the strength of Simonson and JMS's runs.

Aaron's stuff tends to be whacky, with tongue firmly planted in cheek (outside of genuinely serious stuff like Scalped, and even that has a lot of Ennis humor). There is an almost ironic, cheesy self awareness to what he does in the superhero universes.

Again, I'm not saying it won't work for Thor, and while he's better than Fraction I think they are both similarly modern style writers, and I think that was to the detriment of the Thor book in Fraction's case.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

I think Aaron will do a great job on Thor (I like his Hulk run).

Maybe now Thor's fight with space rednecks will enter continuity.

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix2/dingalinghostess.htm

Hindsight lad

Well, I have to say, our standards have really fallen if we're now reduced to appreciating only "moments" of a few issues as opposed to whole series -- especially if one of the "highlights" is Kid Loki's Mrs. Robinson moment.

Also, as another fan has pointed out, the fight with the Surfer -- generally regarded as one of the most noble characters in the 616 -- devolved into near-thuggery on Thor's part as the arc progressed. He was having a bad day? Having Daddy issues? Seriously? A decade ago, Thor would have held back or even avoided a fight with the Surfer -- probably even stopping it himself -- considering their mutual love for Earth and shared history as heroes. Now, it's "I'll Kill You."

For that alone, Fraction is the worst-ever Thor writer. I don't know what to expect from Aaron but Fraction's departure from the title can't happen soon enough, as far as I'm concerned.