Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

There was also a fairly recent What if? that had Thunderbolt Ross become the Hulk, although in this version he was grey and kept the mustache.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    There was also a fairly recent What if? that had Thunderbolt Ross become the Hulk, although in this version he was grey and kept the mustache.
    Not so strange as the real continuity where he merged with Zzzax.

Quote Originally Posted by pakehafulla View Post
    I did enjoy the DD issue above, but in general find the series doesnt live up to the promise it has. As someone else already said, DC's Elseworlds titles are far better. For me the problem with these is they spend half the issue explaining in great detail where the timeline converges and what is wrong with the change(is too much exposition the right term?). At least DC had the decency to have faith in the intelligence of their readers.
    Eh, it depended on how involved the original story was. The "...Phoenix had not died" issue, with it's long Dark Phoenix set-up, took several pages to recount, while "...Doctor Doom became a hero" was done in one page. Either way, I was glad of it. I read many issues of the series where I was not familiar with the original story at all. How would I appreciate the new version otherwise?

Oddball Cartoonist! Scott Shaw!'s Avatar

Even if you can't stand my stuff, check out WHAT IF? No. 8 from the original run. I wrote and drew "What If A Radioactive Human Had Bitten A Spider?", that issue's back-up story, a funny animal tale featuring generally unacknowledged penciling and inking by the late Dave (ROCKETEER) Stevens.

Aloha,

Scott!
    http://www.shawcartoons.com
    -----------
    SCOTT SHAW! presents ODDBALL COMICS:
    http://www.scottshawsoddballcomics.com

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shaw! View Post
    Even if you can't stand my stuff, check out WHAT IF? No. 8 from the original run. I wrote and drew "What If A Radioactive Human Had Bitten A Spider?", that issue's back-up story, a funny animal tale featuring generally unacknowledged penciling and inking by the late Dave (ROCKETEER) Stevens.
    Since I've got all the originals, I don't own the Essential, but IIRC that one was omitted, for some odd reason.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shaw! View Post

Aloha,

Scott!
    Had no idea Dave was involved...!!
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Dave also worked a lot on the early WHAT IF? featuring Shang Chi and Fu Manchu. He laboriously gathered dozens of live action stills in a mostly successful to turn Rick Hoberg's pencils of Shang Chi into Bruce Lee.

Aloha,

Scott!
    -----------

Quote Originally Posted by dan bailey View Post
    Since I've got all the originals, I don't own the Essential, but IIRC that one was omitted, for some odd reason.
    I should get that - I didn't know any of this stuff had been collected. I own the first ten or eleven issues of the first series (and enjoyed 'em) but I've only read maybe three of the next couple hundred issues.

I generally preferred the less serious stories like S S!'s Man-Spider story and Kirby's bizarre Marvel Bullpen as Fantastic Four issue.
    MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas

I think they should do a "What if Namor couldn't swim." Would be hilarious.
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reptisaurus! View Post
    I should get that - I didn't know any of this stuff had been collected.
    What If ... Dan's Memory Betrayed Him?

Turns out there are no such Essentials; what I was thinking of instead was a series of color Classics TPBs, of which there appear to have been enough to collect the entire series, minus the Conan-centric issues (#s 13, 39 & 43) & a Shang-Chi ish (#16).
    Last edited by Dan B. in the Underworld; 08-02-2012 at 06:58 PM.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Reptisaurus!, it's funny that you should mention that Kirby Bullpen FF issue; I inked a fair amount of background elements on that issue, although without credit (Dave Stevens did some of those, too!!)

Aloha,

Scott!
    -----------

My all-time favourite issue is What If Captain America Was Elected President?

Some great back-ups in that one, too
    Check out my new Movie Podcast! Married With Clickers

Check Out My Blog: Seduction of the Indifferent at Seduction of the Indifferent

Look for Scott's Classic Comics Corner at Comics Should Be Good

"I'll tell you right out--I'm a man who likes talking to a man who likes to talk"

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I think they should do a "What if Namor couldn't swim." Would be hilarious.
    Might look something like this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JANSEAnorm.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	98256
    "Leviathans have tried and failed! You will not eat the true Sub-Mariner!"

Namor, Defenders #3

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Roquefort Raider View Post
    The first volume was based on classic Marvel stories, mostly, and often used creators associated with the characters depicted. Frank Miller did the "What if Elektra had lived?" story, Jack Kirby did the "What if the F.F. were the original Marvel Bulletin?" and the story "What if Conan walked the Earth today?" was made by the regular team of Thomas, Buscema and Chan. The series often had a classic feel to it. There are truly great issues in there ("What if Dr. Doom had been a hero?", "What if Shang Chi had not turned his back on Fu Manchu?", "What if Dr. Strange had been a disciple of Dormammu?" and so on).

The second volume relied more heavily on current Marvel stories, and because many stories of the 80s were pretty bad the result was less interesting. Who cares if the crossover Inferno had ended differently? And the art was rarely up to par with the first volume. There are a few good ones, but it doesn't compare with volume 1 IMO.
    You listed almost all the ones I remember enjoying from the first series. Never knew there was a 2nd one, but the "What If the Avengers Had Fought Galactus Instead of the FF" one that somebody mentioned sounds like it might have been fun.

The Kirby FF one I thought only worked at all because of the artwork. The whole idea of Kirby/Lee/Bullpen camaraderie didn't quite ring true to me by the time this came out. Although I didn't know anything about Kirby's disputes with Marvel management or why he'd moved to DC and then back to Marvel, it was obvious that he was more interested in working with his own ideas and his books didn't feel like they were in tune with the rest of Marvel's line-up. That sense of disconnection must have changed my view of the 60s era as well, so the premise didn't really work for me. Nice art, though.

I own the full Run for V.1 and what i remember is that Poor Ironman died many times in these stories. Issue #1 has a cameo of Supermans fist hitting Spider-man as an acknowledgement of their Crossover being an alternate universe.
    Life is what you make it.