Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 87
  1. #1
    Pixar Rocket Raccoon!!! Jaded Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,296

    Default The Ranger's Marvel's most diverse team?

    There’s a constant flow (deservedly so) of threads and topics discussing diversity in the Marvel Universe, particularly on their teams. So while reading the most recent issue of Scarlet Spider, which featured a last-page appearance of some of the Rangers, a thought occurred to me: with only eight members in the team’s history, are the Rangers the most diverse team in the Marvel Universe? Here’s the entire team line-up:

    Texas Twister – white heterosexual male
    Shooting Star – white heterosexual female
    Phantom Rider – white heterosexual male (deceased)
    Red Wolf – Native American heterosexual male
    Firebird – Native American/Hispanic heterosexual female
    Living Lightning – Hispanic homosexual male
    Armadillo – Hispanic heterosexual male (quit)
    51 – Alien

    Obviously, there are a few races not represented here, but in terms of the number of characters on the team (eight throughout history, currently six), the Rangers seem to be pretty diverse. It’s easy to write it off as “well, that’s just because of location,” but NYC is just as diverse as Texas, if not more so, yet the line-ups of the Avengers (and their multiple teams) tend to skew pretty traditionally “white heterosexual”. The X-Men are better, obviously, but if you look at the main casts of the current books (culled from over 40 years of publishing), they tend to skew the same “white heterosexual” route as well.

    So is there another team that, in terms of the diversity-to-number-of-members ratio, has a leg up on the Rangers? I’m not trying to make some grandiose statement on diversity at Marvel and I’m not saying that “The Rangers are better than this team or that team or DAMN YOU BENDIS!!!” or anything like that; as I said, it was just a thought that crossed my mind and I thought I’d put it out there and see what everyone thought.
    There's no sense in nonsense when the heat's hot.

  2. #2
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Imnottelling!
    Posts
    24,941

    Default

    Avengers Academy is more diverse.

  3. #3
    Senior Member protege's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,514

    Default

    Who's 51, and shouldn't he be on new mexico team?

  4. #4
    Pixar Rocket Raccoon!!! Jaded Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Avengers Academy is more diverse.
    They're not really a team, though, are they? Not like New Warriors, New Mutants, Young Avengers, or even the Runaways are.
    Last edited by Jaded Devil; 07-30-2012 at 04:18 PM.
    There's no sense in nonsense when the heat's hot.

  5. #5
    Pixar Rocket Raccoon!!! Jaded Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Who's 51, and shouldn't he be on new mexico team?
    51 is the alien member who first appeared in the most recent Scarlet Spider. Christopher Yost identified him in his Twitter feed. And to be fair, the Rangers patrol the Southwest, not just Texas...they were just the official Texas team within the Initiative.
    There's no sense in nonsense when the heat's hot.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Push You Down's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,524

    Default

    The answer is "no."

  7. #7
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,013

    Default

    Living Lightning isn't gay. That's just internet fanwank like Wolverine being bi or Cyclops not being Rachel Summers' father.

    The New Mutants were more diverse

    Cannonball= white American male.
    Psyche= Native America female.
    Sunspot= Afro-Brazilian male.
    Wolfsbane= white Scots female.
    Karma= Vietnamese lesbian female.
    Magma= Nova Scotian female.
    Magik= white Russian demon female.
    Cypher= white American male.
    Warlock= alien male.
    Last edited by Rasputin9977; 07-30-2012 at 05:12 PM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Legion_Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    3,346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin9977 View Post
    Living Lightning isn't gay. That's just internet fanwank like Wolverine being bi or Cyclops not being Rachel Summers' father.


    Nope, he's gay.

    This is what GLA writer Dan Slott had to say on the subject in an interview: “He’s gay. Get over it. Previous girlfriends? Beards. Or relationships that just didn’t work – because Miguel hadn’t come to terms yet with who he really is. Miguel is a gay superhero and a wonderful role model.”
    I Will Raise my Throne above the Stars of your Gods

  9. #9
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    5,013

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Quest View Post


    Nope, he's gay.

    This is what GLA writer Dan Slott had to say on the subject in an interview: “He’s gay. Get over it. Previous girlfriends? Beards. Or relationships that just didn’t work – because Miguel hadn’t come to terms yet with who he really is. Miguel is a gay superhero and a wonderful role model.”
    I stand corrected. I even read that issue when it came out

  10. #10
    Senior Member Legion_Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    3,346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin9977 View Post
    I stand corrected. I even read that issue when it came out
    I didnt even know he was gay until I read this thread, then saw your post, so googled to see which it was.

    We both got to learn something new
    I Will Raise my Throne above the Stars of your Gods

  11. #11
    Elder Member Blade X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    10,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Quest View Post


    Nope, he's gay.

    This is what GLA writer Dan Slott had to say on the subject in an interview: “He’s gay. Get over it. Previous girlfriends? Beards. Or relationships that just didn’t work – because Miguel hadn’t come to terms yet with who he really is. Miguel is a gay superhero and a wonderful role model.”
    Slott retconned him into being gay. I'm a huge fan of Slott as both a writer and as a person (based solely on my limited interactions with him on this site), but him retconning LL into being gay was (IMO) lazy writing (and for the record, I don't think that Dan is a lazy writer). If Dan wanted to include more gay heroic characters in the MU then he should have created a brand new gay superhero character.

  12. #12
    Senior Member protege's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded Devil View Post
    51 is the alien member who first appeared in the most recent Scarlet Spider. Christopher Yost identified him in his Twitter feed. And to be fair, the Rangers patrol the Southwest, not just Texas...they were just the official Texas team within the Initiative.
    So- are red Wolf and night Rider gone?And shouldn't shooting Star be?

  13. #13
    Pixar Rocket Raccoon!!! Jaded Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    So- are red Wolf and night Rider gone?And shouldn't shooting Star be?
    I think Red Wolf is still around, as is Shooting Star. The Night Rider/Phantom Rider (can't remember what he was going by) who was part of the Rangers died in the first storyline of the Hawkeye/Mockingbird series.
    There's no sense in nonsense when the heat's hot.

  14. #14
    Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Staten Island
    Posts
    13,769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
    Slott retconned him into being gay. I'm a huge fan of Slott as both a writer and as a person (based solely on my limited interactions with him on this site), but him retconning LL into being gay was (IMO) lazy writing (and for the record, I don't think that Dan is a lazy writer). If Dan wanted to include more gay heroic characters in the MU then he should have created a brand new gay superhero character.
    I'm sorry you have to be the target for this, but I feel like this needs to be said.

    To say that a character is "retconned" into being gay, unless it's a complete revision of a character like Alan Scott, just seems insulting to the many men and women who realize their non-heterosexuality later in life. It happens, pretty often to due to the hetero-dominant culture we live in. And it happens for numerous reasons.

    So, I side with Dan on this.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."


    - Stanisław Jerzy Lec

    http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com

  15. #15
    Senior Member chastmastr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,916

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin9977 View Post
    internet fanwank like Wolverine being bi
    Oh. Oh, the possibilities. And no reason he couldn't be... ;)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •