Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Pixar Rocket Raccoon!!! Jaded Devil's Avatar

Default The Ranger's Marvel's most diverse team?

There’s a constant flow (deservedly so) of threads and topics discussing diversity in the Marvel Universe, particularly on their teams. So while reading the most recent issue of Scarlet Spider, which featured a last-page appearance of some of the Rangers, a thought occurred to me: with only eight members in the team’s history, are the Rangers the most diverse team in the Marvel Universe? Here’s the entire team line-up:

Texas Twister – white heterosexual male
    Shooting Star – white heterosexual female
    Phantom Rider – white heterosexual male (deceased)
    Red Wolf – Native American heterosexual male
    Firebird – Native American/Hispanic heterosexual female
    Living Lightning – Hispanic homosexual male
    Armadillo – Hispanic heterosexual male (quit)
    51 – Alien

Obviously, there are a few races not represented here, but in terms of the number of characters on the team (eight throughout history, currently six), the Rangers seem to be pretty diverse. It’s easy to write it off as “well, that’s just because of location,” but NYC is just as diverse as Texas, if not more so, yet the line-ups of the Avengers (and their multiple teams) tend to skew pretty traditionally “white heterosexual”. The X-Men are better, obviously, but if you look at the main casts of the current books (culled from over 40 years of publishing), they tend to skew the same “white heterosexual” route as well.

So is there another team that, in terms of the diversity-to-number-of-members ratio, has a leg up on the Rangers? I’m not trying to make some grandiose statement on diversity at Marvel and I’m not saying that “The Rangers are better than this team or that team or DAMN YOU BENDIS!!!” or anything like that; as I said, it was just a thought that crossed my mind and I thought I’d put it out there and see what everyone thought.
    There's no sense in nonsense when the heat's hot.

BANNED

Avengers Academy is more diverse.

Who's 51, and shouldn't he be on new mexico team?

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Avengers Academy is more diverse.
    They're not really a team, though, are they? Not like New Warriors, New Mutants, Young Avengers, or even the Runaways are.
    Last edited by Jaded Devil; 07-30-2012 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Who's 51, and shouldn't he be on new mexico team?
    51 is the alien member who first appeared in the most recent Scarlet Spider. Christopher Yost identified him in his Twitter feed. And to be fair, the Rangers patrol the Southwest, not just Texas...they were just the official Texas team within the Initiative.

The answer is "no."

BANNED

Living Lightning isn't gay. That's just internet fanwank like Wolverine being bi or Cyclops not being Rachel Summers' father.

The New Mutants were more diverse

Cannonball= white American male.
    Psyche= Native America female.
    Sunspot= Afro-Brazilian male.
    Wolfsbane= white Scots female.
    Karma= Vietnamese lesbian female.
    Magma= Nova Scotian female.
    Magik= white Russian demon female.
    Cypher= white American male.
    Warlock= alien male.
    Last edited by Rasputin9977; 07-30-2012 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin9977 View Post
    Living Lightning isn't gay. That's just internet fanwank like Wolverine being bi or Cyclops not being Rachel Summers' father.

Nope, he's gay.

This is what GLA writer Dan Slott had to say on the subject in an interview: “He’s gay. Get over it. Previous girlfriends? Beards. Or relationships that just didn’t work – because Miguel hadn’t come to terms yet with who he really is. Miguel is a gay superhero and a wonderful role model.”
    I Will Raise my Throne above the Stars of your Gods

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Quest View Post

Nope, he's gay.

This is what GLA writer Dan Slott had to say on the subject in an interview: “He’s gay. Get over it. Previous girlfriends? Beards. Or relationships that just didn’t work – because Miguel hadn’t come to terms yet with who he really is. Miguel is a gay superhero and a wonderful role model.”
    I stand corrected. I even read that issue when it came out

I stand corrected. I even read that issue when it came out
    I didnt even know he was gay until I read this thread, then saw your post, so googled to see which it was.

We both got to learn something new
    I Will Raise my Throne above the Stars of your Gods

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Quest View Post

Nope, he's gay.

Slott retconned him into being gay. I'm a huge fan of Slott as both a writer and as a person (based solely on my limited interactions with him on this site), but him retconning LL into being gay was (IMO) lazy writing (and for the record, I don't think that Dan is a lazy writer). If Dan wanted to include more gay heroic characters in the MU then he should have created a brand new gay superhero character.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded Devil View Post
    51 is the alien member who first appeared in the most recent Scarlet Spider. Christopher Yost identified him in his Twitter feed. And to be fair, the Rangers patrol the Southwest, not just Texas...they were just the official Texas team within the Initiative.
    So- are red Wolf and night Rider gone?And shouldn't shooting Star be?

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    So- are red Wolf and night Rider gone?And shouldn't shooting Star be?
    I think Red Wolf is still around, as is Shooting Star. The Night Rider/Phantom Rider (can't remember what he was going by) who was part of the Rangers died in the first storyline of the Hawkeye/Mockingbird series.

Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
    Slott retconned him into being gay. I'm a huge fan of Slott as both a writer and as a person (based solely on my limited interactions with him on this site), but him retconning LL into being gay was (IMO) lazy writing (and for the record, I don't think that Dan is a lazy writer). If Dan wanted to include more gay heroic characters in the MU then he should have created a brand new gay superhero character.
    I'm sorry you have to be the target for this, but I feel like this needs to be said.

To say that a character is "retconned" into being gay, unless it's a complete revision of a character like Alan Scott, just seems insulting to the many men and women who realize their non-heterosexuality later in life. It happens, pretty often to due to the hetero-dominant culture we live in. And it happens for numerous reasons.

So, I side with Dan on this.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com

internet fanwank like Wolverine being bi
    Oh. Oh, the possibilities. And no reason he couldn't be... ;)