Page 23 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

I saw the video and i have some remarks on the subject.
    1) Parts 1 and 2 were not pointless, there were the build up that forces Peter to the corner making him desperate enough so he can accept the deal.
    2) Peter is the most irresponsible guy in the comic universe. Well...the only time Peter acted without thinking was during the Civil War.
    3) Peter's life as Spider-Man has a negative impact on his supporting cast (partially right) and Peter should stop being Spidey. All right Linkara, we got the picture. You don;t like Spider-Man. Gee... did Batman did any better? let's see....Barbara got shot by the Joker, Jason Tod was killed by the Joker and broght back as a psyciotic vigilante.
    4) Peter is a failure when it comes to love life. Romantic relationships are quite a delicate issue even in the real life. How many relationships and marriages have we saw going down the drain Linky? Just set an eye on Jennifer Aniston for the sake of love!
    I sent a message to Linkara with almost the exact remarks...i am still waiting for a reply!
    Now, can you make a review of Batman RIP?

I wanna hear you scream Kevinroc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    1) Parts 1 and 2 were not pointless, there were the build up that forces Peter to the corner making him desperate enough so he can accept the deal.
    2) Peter is the most irresponsible guy in the comic universe. Well...the only time Peter acted without thinking was during the Civil War.
    3) Peter's life as Spider-Man has a negative impact on his supporting cast (partially right) and Peter should stop being Spidey. All right Linkara, we got the picture. You don;t like Spider-Man. Gee... did Batman did any better? let's see....Barbara got shot by the Joker, Jason Tod was killed by the Joker and broght back as a psyciotic vigilante.
    4) Peter is a failure when it comes to love life. Romantic relationships are quite a delicate issue even in the real life. How many relationships and marriages have we saw going down the drain Linky? Just set an eye on Jennifer Aniston for the sake of love!
    I sent a message to Linkara with almost the exact remarks...i am still waiting for a reply!
    Now, can you make a review of Batman RIP?
    1: Parts 1 and 2 were pointless because we knew Peter was desperate to find some way to save Aunt May. All it did was make the rest of the Marvel Universe look pathetic and stupid. Dr. Doom could have solved the problem with the greatest of ease but doesn't because Marvel needed the deal with Mephisto to undo the marriage. So at the ends of part 1 and 2, Peter is still desperate and Aunt May is still dying. (This is without getting into how desperate Peter was in the stories leading up to OMD.)

2: Except when he touched Dr. Strange's magical thing and was dragged into the Astral plane. In the pages of OMD part 2. (As for how irresponsible he actually is, that is another discussion. But he was certainly irresponsible here.)

3: He said he likes Spider-Man a whole bunch. But if you want to apply realism to Spider-Man, Peter would have hung up the webs a long time ago.

4: Irrelevant. Once you get into magical demon deals, you lose all semblance of "reality."
    The monster saved them all. And in their fear, they betrayed him. As they always have. As they always will.

My Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    1: Parts 1 and 2 were pointless because we knew Peter was desperate to find some way to save Aunt May. All it did was make the rest of the Marvel Universe look pathetic and stupid. Dr. Doom could have solved the problem with the greatest of ease but doesn't because Marvel needed the deal with Mephisto to undo the marriage. So at the ends of part 1 and 2, Peter is still desperate and Aunt May is still dying. (This is without getting into how desperate Peter was in the stories leading up to OMD.)

2: Except when he touched Dr. Strange's magical thing and was dragged into the Astral plane. In the pages of OMD part 2. (As for how irresponsible he actually is, that is another discussion. But he was certainly irresponsible here.)

3: He said he likes Spider-Man a whole bunch. But if you want to apply realism to Spider-Man, Peter would have hung up the webs a long time ago.

4: Irrelevant. Once you get into magical demon deals, you lose all semblance of "reality."
    1) Even dr Doom is not a god. The woman was...is of a certain age and she had a very serious injury and lost a lot of blood. The only plothole i saw is this was the fact that Dr Strange with all these mystical powers at his command was unable to help.
    2)That doesn;t mean that Peter is the most irrespossible guy. He was desperate to save his aunt and yes i admit it he acted on impulse. But acting irresponsbly for an entire career of 50 years...no...i think Link overexaggerated quite a bit.
    3) In a world were people can control magnetic forces, have black holes in their heads and stuff, realism is somewhat a relative aspect. I do not think that it would be realistic if Spidey had retired. Superman and Batman should have retired and go into a nursing home or something decades ago.
    4) Again, in the world of comics, reality becomes a subject of extensive discussion. In the real world we are witnessing couples seperating (without of course the help of a demon) for stupid reasons and forgetting that not only they were married but they also had children (ahem JLO do you hear that?). It is not irrelavant if you take a moment to think about it.

The problem is the Marvel Universe bends over backwards in order to get Spider-Man and Mary Jane to make a deal with Mephisto. There is no logical reason why any of the guys asked couldn't have helped beyond "the marriage needs to be wiped out." If, as Linkara had suggested, Dr. Strange had been out of town and Spidey had no time to contact anyone else, a major problem with OMD vanishes.
    There is no logical reason for almost anything that happens in a dramatic story. Sure, someone from the Marvel U should have been able to help, but then there would be no story. Almost any book you read or movie you watch, there is a simple solution that is completely obvious to everyone but the characters.

Most complaints about the story are based on one of three arguments:

1.) They didn't like that Pete and MJ were unmarried. (Sorry, it's just your opinion. Other opinions may differ, doesn't make it a bad story.)
    2.) They made a deal with "the devil". (Again, just your opinion. Doesn't make it a bad story.)
    3.) It's unrealistic/illogical. (What is realistic/logical about almost any fictional work?)

I consider Charles Dickens to be one of the two greatest writers of all time, the other being Mark Twain. Both of these writers, and Dickens in particular, wrote completely unrealistic and completely contrived stories. The amount of coincidences it takes to get from the begining to the end of Oliver Twist is staggering. The coincidence at the end of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn boarders on the absurd. And yet both of these stories are considered MASTERPIECES. I don't see why we can't cut a four-issue comic book story a bit of slack for being contrived/illogical/unrealistic.
    "Women... they come and go, but the Jonah is eternal." - ViewtifulJC

BANNED

They were pointless because they weren't focusing on May or Mary Jane. They were focusing on Peter trying really hard and nothing happening. If they wanted to have points, reminisce. Or even better, have MJ go along with Peter during those scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    They were pointless because they weren't focusing on May or Mary Jane. They were focusing on Peter trying really hard and nothing happening. If they wanted to have points, reminisce. Or even better, have MJ go along with Peter during those scenes.
    May was in a coma and MJ tried to do the only thing she could have done, supporting Peter. And besides Peter taking his wife to Dr Doom or to Dr Ock? Where exactly is the point in this? Would that be irresponsible? I am pretty sure that after the events of the issues prior to OMD, the last thing Peter would have wanted is to endanger the life of his wife one more time.
    Last edited by Minerboh; 08-04-2012 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Nichols View Post
    There is no logical reason for almost anything that happens in a dramatic story. Sure, someone from the Marvel U should have been able to help, but then there would be no story. Almost any book you read or movie you watch, there is a simple solution that is completely obvious to everyone but the characters.

Most complaints about the story are based on one of three arguments:

1.) They didn't like that Pete and MJ were unmarried. (Sorry, it's just your opinion. Other opinions may differ, doesn't make it a bad story.)
    2.) They made a deal with "the devil". (Again, just your opinion. Doesn't make it a bad story.)
    3.) It's unrealistic/illogical. (What is realistic/logical about almost any fictional work?)

I consider Charles Dickens to be one of the two greatest writers of all time, the other being Mark Twain. Both of these writers, and Dickens in particular, wrote completely unrealistic and completely contrived stories. The amount of coincidences it takes to get from the begining to the end of Oliver Twist is staggering. The coincidence at the end of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn boarders on the absurd. And yet both of these stories are considered MASTERPIECES. I don't see why we can't cut a four-issue comic book story a bit of slack for being contrived/illogical/unrealistic.
    C'mon, you're really gonna compare One More Day to the works of Charles Dickens or Mark Twain?
    The monster saved them all. And in their fear, they betrayed him. As they always have. As they always will.

My Facebook page

1- chp 1 and 2 are completely useless, why? because of something you actually put right in your post, It is set up to increase the desperation of Peter to take the deal, the problem is HE DOESNT TAKE THE DEAL!
    at least not the first time
    he is approach by Mephisto and he says no, Mary Jane appears out of nowhere and convinces Peter to do it

so all that set up to increase the desperation of the situation is unnecessary, specially cause none of that happens to Mary Jane

you can pretty much remove chps 1, 2 and 3 from the story and chp 4 will remain exactly as it is

2- there are more examples than that
    Last edited by ArnoldoAAD; 08-05-2012 at 12:35 AM.
    Check out the Comicfrontline
    The Self-destruction of New 52 FINAL PART
    Click here
    Check out Batwatchhttp://batwatch.net/

BANNED

May was in a coma and MJ tried to do the only thing she could have done, supporting Peter. And besides Peter taking his wife to Dr Doom or to Dr Ock? Where exactly is the point in this? Would that be irresponsible? I am pretty sure that after the events of the issues prior to OMD, the last thing Peter would have wanted is to endanger the life of his wife one more time.
    You're missing the point. The major character developments were happening to those two characters. So why was Iron Man and Dr. Strange brought into this as "BIG GUEST STARS!!!" when the story should have been focused on May and MJ?

But I guess people can only side with Peter because he has a penis. "Focusing on someone who isn't a man? What's that?"

Everything from May being shot Was Mephesto manipulating the universe around Pete and MJ.
    That's reed Skrull pym Strange and Doom could not help them.

Where's my no prize?
    Cyclops ad portas

You're missing the point. The major character developments were happening to those two characters. So why was Iron Man and Dr. Strange brought into this as "BIG GUEST STARS!!!" when the story should have been focused on May and MJ?

But I guess people can only side with Peter because he has a penis. "Focusing on someone who isn't a man? What's that?"
    Damn stright! Now get back to kitchen!! ;p
    Cyclops ad portas

Oh please, spare me the feminist outburst!
    And how May who was in a coma with almost zero brain functions or MJ who had very little access to the super hero-supernatural community could have possibly do something?
    Are you suggesting that May should rise up from the dead, transform into the Golden Hug or something and say ''oh look Pete i am shining'' or MJ hook up with Mephisto, erase the marriage so they can live their untold forbidden passion into the endless pits of Inferno and live happily ever after?
    I am siding with Peter not because he has a penis but in case you haven't noticed the story was called Spider-Man: One More Day and not The Parkers.

Oh please, spare me the feminist outburst!
    And how May who was in a coma with almost zero brain functions or MJ who had very little access to the super hero-supernatural community could have possibly do something?
    Are you suggesting that May should rise up from the dead, transform into the Golden Hug or something and say ''oh look Pete i am shining'' or MJ hook up with Mephisto, erase the marriage so they can live their untold forbidden passion into the endless pits of Inferno and live happily ever after?
    I am siding with Peter not because he has a penis but in case you haven't noticed the story was called Spider-Man: One More Day and not The Parkers.
    Okay... maybe you need to ask yourself these questions....

If One More Day is about the dissolution of Peter and Mary Jane's marriage, wouldn't the story be strongest if we had Mary Jane's thoughts and perspectives to go along with Peter's?

Wouldn't it make sense to give her a fair amount of panel time so we can ratchet up the dramatic tension to it's highest point?

If the goal of those scenes is to show the reader the hopelessness of the situation, couldn't all of that be accomplished by making it that no one could reach Aunt May in time to save her in 3 pages or less, still leaving more than enough room to give the true main characters of the story the attention they deserve?

Simply put, Marvel never took that into account and released a story that not only trite, but a failure on a fundamental story-telling level, and if wanting a more intelligent story from the house of ideas is a feminist stance, then maybe it's you who needs to expand his or her myopic perspective.
    Those who refuse to learn from History, will repeat History as they wonder "What the F*ck happened?"

C'mon, you're really gonna compare One More Day to the works of Charles Dickens or Mark Twain?
    Nope, that's not what I said at all. If those great works can get away with being unbelievably contrived, then why can't a clearly lesser work? Why does OMD get nitpicked for not being realistic/logical when it's not supposed to be? If you don't like the Dickens or Twain examples, take almost any other piece of fiction.

In The Firm wouldn't it have been logical for Mitch to just go to the FBI?
    In The Departed why didn't Leonardo DiCaprio just turn in Matt Damon when he figured it out?
    In Misery why didn't Paul just burn the damn house down when he got the matches?

You could literally do that with ANY piece of fiction. So when someone says that OMD is "objectively bad" or "lazily written" because it's contrived, I say try again. If you don't like the story, you don't like the story. Whatever. But just say so instead of trying to convince the world that it is "objectively bad".
    "Women... they come and go, but the Jonah is eternal." - ViewtifulJC

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Nichols View Post
    Nope, that's not what I said at all. If those great works can get away with being unbelievably contrived, then why can't a clearly lesser work? Why does OMD get nitpicked for not being realistic/logical when it's not supposed to be? If you don't like the Dickens or Twain examples, take almost any other piece of fiction.

In The Firm wouldn't it have been logical for Mitch to just go to the FBI?
    In The Departed why didn't Leonardo DiCaprio just turn in Matt Damon when he figured it out?
    In Misery why didn't Paul just burn the damn house down when he got the matches?

You could literally do that with ANY piece of fiction. So when someone says that OMD is "objectively bad" or "lazily written" because it's contrived, I say try again. If you don't like the story, you don't like the story. Whatever. But just say so instead of trying to convince the world that it is "objectively bad".
    As had been stated, it would have been so much better if Dr. Strange were out. If Strange were out and the scene where Peter contacted all of the super geniuses were not in the story, it would have removed one of the biggest plot holes with this work.

There's a difference between this scene and (to use a comic book example) nearly any Flash story ever published. Because a Flash story really can't be broken down as such because Flash is so fast he could punch out most of his enemies 1000x over before the villain has a chance to blink.

Because this story isn't "the death of Captain Marvel," where the fantastic can't do anything for something that should be mundane to them. It doesn't work that way when Mephisto shows up and solves the problem with his demon maigc. It's "deus ex machina" (or maybe we should say "diabolus ex machina") of the highest order.

If you're feeling defensive of the Brand New Day or Big Time era, I'm not talking about them. Those stories can be judged on their own merits. And this story can be judged on its own merits. And objectively speaking, OMD is "objectively bad." (And there are people who enjoy things that are "objectively bad." I've enjoyed things that are "objectively bad.")

My Facebook page