Default I'm thinking of submitting something to Image Comics.

Someone has spoken to me about getting a creative team together. Can anyone tell me anything about submitting to Image Comics? As in what they're like to do business with.

I cant comment on what its like to do business with them (although the vast majority of those creators that do seem to have nothing but good things to say), but apparently your much better off presenting a pitch to them at a con or something as opposed to online submissions.

Some current Image creators frequent this board such as Eric Larsen, Joe Keatinge, Kurtis Weabe, Tim Seeley. Even Top Cow president Matt Hawkins.
    Maybe try PM'ing one of them for advice. And for the love of god, be polite ;)

BANNED

Enrique Carrion (co-creator of Image's Vescell) said he had to push out an online submission every week for 6 months before getting a response. I guess you could start there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    I cant comment on what its like to do business with them (although the vast majority of those creators that do seem to have nothing but good things to say), but apparently your much better off presenting a pitch to them at a con or something as opposed to online submissions.

Some current Image creators frequent this board such as Eric Larsen, Joe Keatinge, Kurtis Weabe, Tim Seeley. Even Top Cow president Matt Hawkins.
    Maybe try PM'ing one of them for advice. And for the love of god, be polite ;)
    I'll be very polite. But do they have different screen names here? And, if any of them are reading this, could they PM me? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lantern wannabe View Post
    Someone has spoken to me about getting a creative team together. Can anyone tell me anything about submitting to Image Comics? As in what they're like to do business with.
    Everything you need to know is on their submissions page:

http://www.imagecomics.com/submissions/

They're great to do business with, and they're open to online submissions.

-- Jay

Good luck with everything and keep us posted on the status of your submission. I'd also submit your finished work(s) to the U.S. Copyright office, just to be extra safe. It costs $35 to file online. Although whatever you write that is original, creative, and in a fixed (i.e. permanent) medium is subject to copyright protection, it's much easier to protect your work, if need be, if it's registered.

http://www.copyright.gov/

Thanks for the encouragement. I was at a local comic con - a small one - and the artists said that steady income was their dream. How is it for established artists and writers? I hear even they usually have low incomes.

Thanks for the encouragement. I was at a local comic con - a small one - and the artists said that steady income was their dream. How is it for established artists and writers? I hear even they usually have low incomes.
    There's pretty much no such thing as "steady income" in the entertainment field -- whether you're a singer or an actor or a comic book writer or artist, if you want job security and a steady income, get into some other line of work. Yes, there are many artists and writers who make a good living and don't worry about where their next paycheck is coming from. But there are more who bounce from gig to gig, living paycheck to paycheck. It's just the nature of the business.

-- Jay

Thanks for the input, everyone. Yes, I know a few prominent SF writers, and they've said the same thing.

How about doing this as a sideline business or hobby?
    Last edited by Green Lantern wannabe; 08-01-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Thanks for the input, everyone. Yes, I know a few prominent SF writers, and they've said the same thing.

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. You can do comics for whatever reason you want, but I'd go in expecting to make very little -- if any -- money, and then if you DO make money, it's gravy. Most people who work in comics do so because they love this medium and they have stories they feel compelled to tell.

-- Jay

See their reaction then think about it, to be honest, when your names on my subscriptions THEN it should be a business, good luck and keep trying.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Faerber View Post
    I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. You can do comics for whatever reason you want, but I'd go in expecting to make very little -- if any -- money, and then if you DO make money, it's gravy. Most people who work in comics do so because they love this medium and they have stories they feel compelled to tell.

-- Jay
    I was trying to get your thoughts of doing it as a hobby or sideline business, and you've given them. Thanks, Jay. :)

I don't draw, but I would like to be a story teller.

I can't draw either ;D Good luck.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Interested in doing the same, thanks for starting up the thread!
    I support Danny LuVisi's Last Man Standing.

Don't know how much this will help but you may also wanna check out Tony C. Caputo's book "How to Self Publish Your Own Comic Book." Seeing as it was published in '97 some of the info may be a little dated but self proclaimed entrepreneurs (on amazon) say that it's helped them out a lot.