Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I say forget having rules on how to bring Batman back. I mean, did Nolan start his trilogy with a checklist on what he didn't want or did want from the previous films? From my understanding, he went to the source material and pulled from that what he wanted. That's what a new film maker should do. Ignore what previous films did and pull from the source what works for you. Hopefully they'll get someone that wants to have things like Robin and other heroes in this world.

Peachy Keen Gabe De Los Muertos's Avatar

I don't think anyone needs to do an origin story so soon if you're going to reboot in 4 years, if anything have a quick flashback scene like the Incredible Hulk did. I think a story using Poison Ivy & Scarecrow would work in a universe gearing towards JLA, or a story with Professor Pyg & the Circus of the Strange, an expanded "Heart of Ice" adaptation, or a crime story with the Riddler and Penguin/Black Mask.

I really don't want any movie to focus on "why he's driven." That can sometimes be the most tiresome aspect of Batman comics and I don't want to watch a movie about that.

Showcase his detective prowess. One of the flaws of the Nolan film-franchise is that Batman does not appear to be the genius he is in the comics. Not that he came across as stupid, but the Batman that fits best on the JLA is the Morrison-esque great mind who outwits everyone.

Use Kate Kane as his love interest, but I wouldn't have her in a Batwoman costume (or any other character, Robin included) because IMO it's difficult to do that in any movie, let alone a first movie.

Actually I think I'd rather have Zatanna as his love interest.

Bruce makes his own devices. No Lucius, but Alfred is important.
    Formerly DetectiveDupin.
    Tumblr
    Twitter

Some of the things I would like to see:

1. As said above, no origin movie. At this point, Batman's origin is at least well known enough to cover in a brief prologue or flashback scene. I would actually like to see Batman movies take on the same format as James Bond films in terms of actors and storytelling models. As much as I loved Nolan's trilogy, Batman is one of those characters that is timeless, and a proven money maker. Cast an actor, tell a stand alone story, and make the movie. If an actor/director get tired of the franchise, recast. It's not like every artist has drawn Bruce Wayne to look the same in the comics, so I think audiences could wrap their heads around the idea of a different person playing Batman every forth or fifth movie.

In fact, I would even be okay with establishing AT LEAST Dick Grayson in the next/first film.

2. Make the movie fun to watch. Again, loved what Nolan did with the series, but maybe from here don't leave the audience jarred from having such disturbing villains or themes in the films. Look at the Marvel films. They have all pretty much been a blast to watch. DC needs to try and do that too. On the other hand.....

3. Don't make the movie stupid. The first Batman franchise fell apart because it got stupid. There is no other way to say it. Batman Forever and Batman & Robin were totally brainless. You can't sacrifice intelligence for the sake of making the movie more fun, but comic book movies have a history of doing just that.

4. Learn from previous movies if it is something that can be carried over easily. Examples? Things like Batman being able to turn his head, or having believable gadgets and vehicles in Batman's arsenal (or at least gadgets and vehicles that COULD actually exist). No Bat-skates, Bat-nipples, or Arnolds. I really appreciated how Nolan made certain aspects of Batman's costume make sense within the world of the movie, such as having a purpose for the ears, explaining the fins on the gloves, etc. This is a good example to follow, IMO.
    Writers before artists.
    Artists before concepts.
    Concepts before characters.

1) Abandon the idea of a JLA movie
    2) Don't try to emulate Marvel
    3) Don't reboot
    4) Batwoman
    5) Deadshot
    "Don't Reboot The Bat!" Keep Going!
    MoS is a PoS.
    Twitter
    The Facebook

I'd probably do a World's Finest movie with Batman and Superman before JLA.

As for a next Batman movie, I'd base it off Strange Apperitions and use The Penguin, Deadshot and Hugo Strange along with the whole Boss Thorne background in Gotham. You could expand it out and make it about a gang turf war and maybe even bring in the background with Lou Moxton, Joe Chill (a way to have a new movie, possibly tie to the origin with out making it an origin movie working for Moxton) and then use Killer Croc as the muscle either for The Penguin or Moxton. Or vice versa, you could use Black Mask/Roman Sionis in a similar fashion in a crime war.

I'd play up on Cobblepot being an old Gotham money person, maybe playing an angle like he is some kind of Donald Trump developer who is also a crime boss. You could also use the Iceburg Lounge as the "Trump tower" kind of place.

He might be getting too old before they film it, but I would use Ben Kingsley playing off his intensity in the movie Sexy Beast to be Hugo Strange. I'd definitely also use some of the creepy stuff that Doug Moench in his take on Hugo Strange in

I just want them to skip doing an origin movie. In fact I'd leave out his origin completely, everybody already knows it. Or do it as a short sequence during the opening credits and MOVE ON to the story.
    Life looks better in black and white.

Why are people listing "no reboot" before and after listing things they'd like to see in the reboot?

The Slender Man vampiric_cannibal's Avatar

1)Batfamily. All of them.
    2)Absolutely awesome villains. Over the top schemes and badassery. By everyone. Catman and Deadshot, or evil Red Hood and Black Mask. Supervillains fighting each other in epic battles, street level mercs and enforcers blowing everything up. GCPD outnumbered and outgunned.
    3)Batman as an idea > Batman as a character. I think I could have a decent jab at a Batman story only showing Batman in passing, in shadows and alleys and 10 second fightscenes. Like Gotham Central's approach, except with Bats, not cops. Make Batman enigmatic to everyone;
    4)Synergize above ideas. Have the viewpoint characters for the audience be, say, Tim Drake and Steph Brown, being maybe the only characters to appear in their civilian identities. Have them try organize the rest of the Batfamily to end the crisis as Batman pops up into random places to take out foes.
    5)Screw Gotham. I don't want to hear about how it needs to be saved or how much of a hole it is. Its the setting, not a character. I don't want film noir, I want superheroics.
    I would like to say for the record that this is the FIRST TIME I've withheld dong when someone was so desperately asking for some.
    Brian C Wood

Quote Originally Posted by vampiric_cannibal View Post
    5)Screw Gotham. I don't want to hear about how it needs to be saved or how much of a hole it is. Its the setting, not a character. I don't want film noir, I want superheroics.
    At the risk of being "that guy," it is pretty established that Gotham City IS basically a character in the Batman world.
    Writers before artists.
    Artists before concepts.
    Concepts before characters.

Posting a question asking for what the reboot must have, and then presenting a list that is 2/5 to 3/5 what it must not have seems a little backward to me, but here's my list.

1. Batman. (Batman family is probably best left alone. Too many heroes detract from the villain. Worked for Avengers, but not for a Batman series so much).
    2. Yellow oval bat emblem. (OK, not really, but I would prefer it. And absolutely not a rubber suit).
    3. Engaging story.
    4. Batman in costume for at least 40%-50% of the movie.
    5. Detective skills.
    In my opinion is implied in every post. Please make an effort to remember that.

1)Bruce's parents getting shot repeatedly throughout the movie
    2)Shark Repellant
    3)Prince Soundtrack
    4)Ice-related puns
    5)CONSTANT breaking of the fourth wall
    "We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, TWIRLING towards freedom!"
    -Clin-Ton (Kodos)

Most important feature: Make it awesome
    Facebook page dedicated to short films! - https://www.facebook.com/shortstuffmovies

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    4. Batman in costume for at least 40%-50% of the movie.
    I saw TDKR for the second time last night and it did stand out to me how little Batman is in the film in costume (albeit I love when we see him in the cave with his mask off). 40-50% might be too much in the end, but I would like him to have more screen time.
    http://www.fightlockdown.com/
    Come visit us for mma related news and conversation

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Goggindowner View Post
    At the risk of being "that guy," it is pretty established that Gotham City IS basically a character in the Batman world.
    And it's dumb and cliche. It's mostly Snyder who does this anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by earl View Post
    I'd play up on Cobblepot being an old Gotham money person, maybe playing an angle like he is some kind of Donald Trump developer who is also a crime boss.
    That's kind of what Geoff Johns just did with Batman: Earth One. Cobblepot (who is never directly referred to as "The Penguin") is the Mayor of Gotham, and this version of the character would easily fit into the Nolanverse, considering spoilers:
    he's very dirty, and keeps an on-the-lam serial killer in his employ.
    end of spoilers