Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strange Defects

Default Strange Defects

I have an Amazing Spider-Man #37 (1st app. Norman Osborn) that only has one staple at the bottom. The second staple isn't "lost"; it was never applied. A printing defect. I don't think it effects the grade, but I'm not certain.

We've talked about ink-spray. Does anybody else have any weird production/distribution defects worth mentioning?
    "Leviathans have tried and failed! You will not eat the true Sub-Mariner!"

Namor, Defenders #3

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Maurice View Post
    I have an Amazing Spider-Man #37 (1st app. Norman Osborn) that only has one staple at the bottom. The second staple isn't "lost"; it was never applied. A printing defect. I don't think it effects the grade, but I'm not certain.
    It might get the 'qualified' treatment if submitted for grading as it's technically incomplete.

I recently held back from bidding on a Wolverine 145 that was printed without the foil meaning his claws on the cover are bone-white. It makes for a very interesting 'variant' although it's not actually an official one and would be penalized for the flaw.

The only other distribution flaws I have are a couple of vintage silver-age books which got the grease-pencil treatment with 3/4 inch hand-scribbled font. I kept both though, as it was common (albeit maybe unsightly) to write distribution dates on covers.

Of course, if I was producing covers now, I'd use fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating like that on my iPad.
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

I don't know if it's considered a defect or not, but I loves me some double covers. I only have a few in my collection, but I think they're very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2739 View Post
    I don't know if it's considered a defect or not, but I loves me some double covers. I only have a few in my collection, but I think they're very cool.
    They're considered bonuses, not defects...they also get the blue-label treatment from CGC for those who are interested in the latter. I also have a few double-covers in my collection with the prize of the lot being my DC Special Series Jonah Hex Spectacular. I am, however, wary of those who might try to just staple on an additional cover and pass it off as a production gaffe.

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezebel Bond View Post
    They're considered bonuses, not defects...they also get the blue-label treatment from CGC for those who are interested in the latter. I also have a few double-covers in my collection with the prize of the lot being my DC Special Series Jonah Hex Spectacular. I am, however, wary of those who might try to just staple on an additional cover and pass it off as a production gaffe.
    My favorite double cover in my collection is Detective Comics 404. I think it's also the oldest double cover I own.
    Sorry if this is off topic.

Here's one of my grease-pencil 'defects'. Would you kick this book out of bed? The seller initially thought the writing was '6 B' but when I got it, it seemed more like '6 13' or June 13. Mike's comics has the original street date as June 11 http://www.dcindexes.com/database/co...&comicid=43828

What do you think? Looks much better than this shitty cellphone pic
    Last edited by Jezebel Bond; 07-29-2012 at 10:05 AM.

You're right. That's the newsstand date. Nice Spidey 4, by the way.
    Last edited by Dave2739; 07-31-2012 at 01:45 PM.

It might get the 'qualified' treatment if submitted for grading as it's technically incomplete.
    Yeah, I keep forgetting about the green label since I see so few of them. Maybe I'll submit it with my next batch just to see. And no, there's not one thing I don't like about your ASM #4 (well, except that it's yours and not mine).

Namor, Defenders #3

Lunatic On The Grass pinkfloydsound17's Avatar
    Dark side of the moon (Ontario, Canada to be exact)

I would nab up that Spidey in a heartbeat! I dont seem to mind a date stamp, pen mark, name, etc on my comic, provided it isnt covering the entire front. Sure it may not be the prettiest but it part of that books history that makes it unique.

Lunatic On The Grass pinkfloydsound17's Avatar
    Dark side of the moon (Ontario, Canada to be exact)

As for strange defects, here are a few:

Ripples in pages, usually from mid to late 80's Marvel books (or at least some of the Spec Spidey issues I have) from #150-200. I have heard that its from humidity but also that its a paper thing where, over time no matter how they stored, they get slight ripple to the top edges (not the cover though).

I also have a Fantastic Four book where the interior inks seem to have bled. It is fine and readable but there are certain colours that stain other panels and such (mostly reds). It is a little weird.

My copy of Skywald's Nightmare #1, the first thing Skywald ever published, was not trimmed correctly - the pages were connected at the top, so you couldn't read them. In other words, the first page and the last page were connected, with a fold at the top, and the next pages in were similarly connected, and so on all the way to the middle. I had to use a sharp knife to cut thru at the fold so I could read it. Took me a few years to get up the nerve to do it.
    --
    Rob Allen

Here's one of my grease-pencil 'defects'. Would you kick this book out of bed? The seller initially thought the writing was '6 B' but when I got it, it seemed more like '6 13' or June 13. Mike's comics has the original street date as June 11 http://www.dcindexes.com/database/co...&comicid=43828

What do you think? Looks much better than this shitty cellphone pic
    I'm not a fan of grease pencils, but I would be very happy and content to have that comic as a part of my collection. Other than the writing on it, the comic presents really well, and the colors are vibrant. I have seen a number of this issue, and issue 2, that are really faded.

In fact, it's still on my list... :-)

Best wishes,
    Tom
    My Favorites: Daredevil, Hawkeye, Superior Spider-Man, Ultimate Spider-Man

Almost Done Collecting ASM: Want issues 1, 3, 4, 8, 11, and 18 - Ann. 1 & 2

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    My copy of Skywald's Nightmare #1, the first thing Skywald ever published, was not trimmed correctly - the pages were connected at the top, so you couldn't read them. In other words, the first page and the last page were connected, with a fold at the top, and the next pages in were similarly connected, and so on all the way to the middle. I had to use a sharp knife to cut thru at the fold so I could read it. Took me a few years to get up the nerve to do it.
    Can't remember any titles or issue numbers, but I know I've run into this a few times with color comics, though never with a b&w (Like Nightmare).
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Went back and read through my Defenders run this week (#2 - 50) since I just picked up Giant-Size #4 & 5 the other day, and was appalled by the scissor-damage done by readers collecting those accursed Marvel "Value" Stamps. Really, people? Stan Lee tells you to go to town on your comics like the Barber of Seville, and you do it? You bunch of callow, unthinking automatons!

Namor, Defenders #3

Heh, I have horror stories about a shop near the town I grew up in and missing value stamps.

I also have a bunch of Bronze DCs where a previous owner removed all the ad pages and left the story pages intact. One is Secret Society of Super Villains #10 and the other the First Issue Special issue featuring the return of the New Gods. The funny thing is, I picked up one when I was living in CT and the other recently here in Ohio, so it looks like it was a practice of a few purchasers of the books. I wonder how badly this takes down an official grade, doesn't matter to me I only read the things not collect for value or resale, but am always curious. The sad thing is the First Issue Special is a beautiful book otherwise, milk white pages, nary a cover defect to be found, except its missing the add pages. The SSOSV issue is a beat reading copy anyways.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco