Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by peopleofpaper View Post
    this was better
    How does that even work? Shouldn't she be immune to her own psychic knife.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOff View Post
    Is Kwannon really the daughter of Tom Cruise? Does this make Betsy the real Last Samurai?
    I am pretty sure the intent was for the Last Samurai to be a reference to the character played by Ken Watanabe as the character was based vaguely on the real life of Saigō Takamori. Takamori was a samurai who fought and was instrumental in the Meiji Restoration that ended Shogunal and by extension samurai rule. He then became disillusioned with the Meiji government he helped bring to power and returned to his home in Satsuma and set up academies for other disillusioned samurai. This lead to the government sending forces to quash them which is essentially the plot of the movie. His death is suppose to be the death of the last true samurai as he believed in his ideals enough to fight against the Shogun ie bring an end to the samurai rule and by extension his rule but then opposed what he saw as the corruption and betrayal of the ideals that the Meiji Restoration was suppose to adhere to (sonnoi joi).

Not that the guy was some great saint. Like anyone of that time, he was a man of contradiction. He at one point in supporting war with Korea offered to visit Korea and basically act like a douche so that they would be forced to kill him which his death could then be used as a justification for war. The Meiju Government refused his request.
    Last edited by remydat; 07-30-2012 at 02:44 PM.
    It's hard for me to listen to people not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

"Let me go first Lorna. I'm their freaking King!"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    It is amusing that people are chastising Psylocke for being inauthentic or too white by basically exposing their inauthenticness and/or whiteness by completely misapplying the concept of the samurai code to a ninja who anyone with a passing knowledge of Japanese history and culture should know ninjas were not subject to the samurai code. Not to mention such code was effectively abolished with the Meiji Restoration and thus someone living in the 21st century like Psylocke is not subject to it. So you are wrong no matter how you choose to analyze it.
    so you're saying she didn't kill herself like a ninja or a samurai. she's doubly inauthentic. choose a side, Psylocke!

Call me Ollie or OJ OJSlaughter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by remydat View Post
    I am pretty sure the intent was for the Last Samurai to be a reference to the character played by Ken Watanabe as the character was based vaguely on the real life of Saigō Takamori. Takamori was a samurai who fought and was instrumental in the Meiji Restoration that ended Shogunal and by extension samurai rule. He then became disillusioned with the Meiji government he helped bring to power and returned to his home in Satsuma and set up academies for other disillusioned samurai. This lead to the government sending forces to quash them which is essentially the plot of the movie. His death is suppose to be the death of the last true samurai as he believed in his ideals enough to fight against the Shogun ie bring an end to the samurai rule and by extension his rule but then opposed what he saw as the corruption and betrayal of the ideals that the Meiji Restoration was suppose to adhere to (sonnoi joi).

Not that the guy was some great saint. Like anyone of that time, he was a man of contradiction. He at one point in supporting war with Korea offered to visit Korea and basically act like a douche so that they would be forced to kill him which his death could then be used as a justification for war. The Meiju Government refused his request.
    The Last Samurai, roughly based around the Satsuma Rebellion is basically an action film set in Feudal Japan which emulates the plot of various films and books such as Shogun and Pocahontas. Any correlation to real people is just to make it seem like it is historical. The film doesn't in anyway want to be historically accurate and this is shown in the way the Japanese Behave, the inclusion of Ninjas and the large amount of American Forces in Japan (believe it or not but Britain/Netherlands/France/Russia would not allow that to happen).
    Arrogant Opinionist

Quote Originally Posted by OJSlaughter View Post
    The Last Samurai, roughly based around the Satsuma Rebellion is basically an action film set in Feudal Japan which emulates the plot of various films and books such as Shogun and Pocahontas. Any correlation to real people is just to make it seem like it is historical. The film doesn't in anyway want to be historically accurate and this is shown in the way the Japanese Behave, the inclusion of Ninjas and the large amount of American Forces in Japan (believe it or not but Britain/Netherlands/France/Russia would not allow that to happen).
    Agreed, hence my use of the term vaguely. The Ken Watanabe character was a rough approximation of Takamori but of course they butchered everything else in a way only hollywood can.
    It's hard for me to listen to people not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

This thread should have ended with the first Buffy wanking herself gif.
    PaperArt
    XPOTM, 6/12

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sonic View Post
    Lets try again

/thread
    Last edited by OJSlaughter; 07-30-2012 at 03:10 PM.
    Arrogant Opinionist

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnhop View Post
    so you're saying she didn't kill herself like a ninja or a samurai. she's doubly inauthentic. choose a side, Psylocke!
    No, I am saying there are no sides. The whole point of the Meiji Restoration was to eliminate the concept of a samurai and with it their code and customs including this idea of seppeku as a death befitting an honorable samurai. Thus the argument as put forward in the OP is a non-starter as the premise is wrong to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sonic View Post
    she isn't topless so who cares what she is doing?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flameworthy View Post
    How does that even work? Shouldn't she be immune to her own psychic knife.
    Nope. Her psychic katana hurt her when the Goth used it against her.

Quote Originally Posted by darknessatnoon View Post
    Nope. Her psychic katana hurt her when the Goth used it against her.
    Interesting how her powers don't work on her brother but they work on herself.

BANNED

She's in a foreign body!

That has been ignored now, at least by Remender. Although someone made a valid argument that Brian no longer has his original body (it was incinerated by Skrulls: his current is a Merlin construct). Thinking of it: Brian didn't have a crises about being remade by Merlin, even though Merlin has actively manipulated him in the past and also been a villain at times. Take that Betsy, you whiny little Otaku!

Quote Originally Posted by darknessatnoon View Post
    She's in a foreign body!
    She is in her original body at that point... Although you could argue that her Psychic Knife was actually Kwannon's power.
    Arrogant Opinionist

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by OJSlaughter View Post

She is in her original body at that point... Although you could argue that her Psychic Knife was actually Kwannon's power.
    It's stopped being her body, though. And yes, the knife was Kwannon's ability powered by Betsy's psyche.

Quote Originally Posted by mikekerrIII View Post
    Becasue it is a way to kill yourself. Neither She nor Logan can be a Samurai since the only way to become one is to be born one, the rules come from blood not training.

Parts of it are much older, the Idea is that it applies to anyone not born a Samurai is what Changed in the pre-WWII days

The Samurai codes were followed as rigorously as the rules of Chivalry were followed in Europe, that is rarely.

Anys every one in Asian knows the Japanese were very good at talking about Honor.
    In history samurai is a CLASS of status, which at the time many just called them selves samurai's just because... that was during war time. After wars that's where the ground rules of being born into one started applying