Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

That people are basically decent human beings.
    Last edited by Puma; 07-29-2012 at 06:12 AM.
    What have I always believed? That, on the whole, and by and large, if a person lived properly, not according to what any priests said, but according to what seemed decent and honest inside, then it would, at the end, more or less, turn out ok.

"In 1996, I was 36. And you're still a frothing moonbat." ~Paradox

That if you work hard enough anyone can get ahead in the US.

My mom gave me the usual BS you give kids: religion, Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Algren View Post
    "Catch a tiger by the toe."

Didn't find out the original lyric until I was in my 30s.
    I assume you mean the naughty racist version? That's not the original either. It's been around since about the 1830s. In any event, that's not being taught something that's incorrect, it's being taught the current version.
    Last edited by dupersuper; 07-29-2012 at 01:23 AM.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

My parents were Communists so I had to spend most of my 20's and 30's unlearning most of what I thought I knew about politics, world affairs, economics and history.
    Visit the Ace Comics & Games Digital shopfront:
    http://www.acecomics.comicretailer.com

I went to school in Poland as a kid (in the eighties) and was told the russians were our friends etc, which of course was bullshit. No mention in school of the Nazi–Soviet Pact, the Soviet Union invading Poland in 1939, the Katyn massacre etc.
    Three armed cops and a writer makes four. You’re under arrest, so get on the floor.

Master Yoda on clubbing: "Always two there are, no more, no less: a hot chick and her fat friend."

Obviously, this blue part here is the land...

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    That if you work hard enough anyone can get ahead in the US.
    You must be one a them lazy Amurkins.

I was taught that Man was the most intelligent and adaptable being created by God, meant to take dominion over the Earth and all the animals therein.

Now I know by experience that the cockroach is the most intelligent and adaptable being created for domineering, making Man look like a dimwitted ninny with space to spare between the ears.

God,it seems, is an entomologist.
    Daredevil-Waid, and Hawkeye. (Or was before received cost of cheapest Unaffordable Health Care. At least someone (government insurance companies and congress?) get to enjoy product of my working.

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

You'll always be a planet to me, Pluto. Always. The 5-Second Rule has gotten me through 46 years.

Diamonds come from coal. Eh. Nope!

Pocahontas being a romantic story and... oh, about 1000 other lies about the Native Americans.

It wasn't that I was taught otherwise; it just wasn't mentioned, but... I have Roy Thomas to thank for first being told about the unjustified imprisonment of Asian Americans during WWII.

I think I might have believed that "10% of your brain" meme for a bit. How ludicrous!

I don't think any of the historical fairy tales, like Ben and the kite, George and the cherry tree, Newton's apple, etc., were ever presented to me in a factual way. They were always told to me in a tongue-in-cheek sort of way.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    I was taught that Man was the most intelligent and adaptable being created by God, meant to take dominion over the Earth and all the animals therein.

Now I know by experience that the cockroach is the most intelligent and adaptable being created for domineering, making Man look like a dimwitted ninny with space to spare between the ears.

God,it seems, is an entomologist.
    that's just a myth propogated by dolphin; to throw us off the scent.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Guardian View Post
    You'll always be a planet to me, Pluto. Always.
    It will be a cold day in hell before I recognize Missour-ah.

It wasn't that I was taught otherwise; it just wasn't mentioned, but... I have Roy Thomas to thank for first being told about the unjustified imprisonment of Asian Americans during WWII.
    Didn't learn a thing about it until I went to college. "Honors world history" my ASS - I had to go to a historically black university to learn about Asian-American history.

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

I thought fairy tales and the like were innocent and kid friendly like Disney movies... Boy was I fucking wrong.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Quote Originally Posted by Otchofriend View Post
    I thought fairy tales and the like were innocent and kid friendly like Disney movies... Boy was I fucking wrong.
    The problem with what people know about fairy tales is that they're always generalizing. First, they knew that fairy tales were innocent and kid friendly. Then, they knew that Grimm's Fairy Tales was some sort of source for pre-industrial horror stories and dark fantasy. The ultimate truth is that in a book of over 200 tales like Grimm and a field like folk lore that encompasses thousands of stories from thousands of cultures, you're going to get a lot of variety.
    Story By Story- Story Circle of the Capital Region.

My own Youtube account, stories and public library use tips.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    My mom gave me the usual BS you give kids: religion, Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, etc.
    Nothing wrong with telling kids about Santa or the Tooth Fairy. It makes Christmas and loose teeth funner.

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    People always talking shit about Santa.
    My mom gave my computer cancer.

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

I was taught in high school that muscle pain after a workout results from lactic acid build-up, but that has since been proven wrong.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/