Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Comic book magazines

Every time I see a comic book magazine at the edges of my LCS I feel a little saddened (though not terribly so). I don't think it was just the internet that hurt these publications so I think the lack of extras hurt a lot too. I still have a small collection of previews and ashcans and what not I got from Wizard and Hero back in the day and chances are I'd buy a monthly mag about comics if It was done right and had the kinda extras they used to pack into them when I was a kid. What're your thoughts?

I hate 'em, in the UK theres a big one which is £8, you get a free poster or summit but its too pricey.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

A poster wouldn't really be worth it for me. It'd have to be some kinda content.

Quote Originally Posted by Prisoner 6655321 View Post
    A poster wouldn't really be worth it for me. It'd have to be some kinda content.
    The content is poor too, it isn't even official.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Comic book news magazines are useless at this point. Wizard didn't help anything being the kind of mag they were, but it's unlikely some new one will come along. Print is slowly dying.
    'Dox out.

"But I think the difference is, when Democrats go crazy, they get shown the door. When Republicans go crazy they get appointed to the Science committee. " - Shawn Hopkins

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

Champions: The Conclave
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

For me there a total waste.

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    For me there a total waste.
    Why am I not surprised?
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    Why am I not surprised?
    Is that a insult? ;l

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Comic book news magazines are useless at this point. Wizard didn't help anything being the kind of mag they were, but it's unlikely some new one will come along. Print is slowly dying.
    If a magazine like Starlog for example can fall after 3 decades then you know its going down slowly.

One of the saddest things was me and a friend walked by a Fangoria magazine on a rack. Its still being printed and has for years. Well I suggested since he's a horror fan he should pick it up. As he told me he had some and I should look at a price for it now. They wanted $10 bucks for just an issue of it. As he told me its a big turn off with the price of it.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Too expensive.

Not sure how long it will last, but the new Bleeding Cool magazine preview issue was pretty good.

I used to love Wizard as a kid, more than a lot of the comics I bought back then. I'd probably still subscribe if it was around.

DebkoX doesn't recognize it:

Is that a insult? ;l
    He's probably making fun of the fact that you don't know "there" from "they're" indicating an illiteracy that would have little use for a magazine.
    'Dox out.

"But I think the difference is, when Democrats go crazy, they get shown the door. When Republicans go crazy they get appointed to the Science committee. " - Shawn Hopkins

BlackagarBoltagon has me thinking Rich must not be in charge of this:

Not sure how long it will last, but the new Bleeding Cool magazine preview issue was pretty good.

I used to love Wizard as a kid, more than a lot of the comics I bought back then. I'd probably still subscribe if it was around.
    Oy. Anyone that's STARTING a print magazine in this era likely has rocks in their head. Wizard didn't leave a hole that needs to be filled, it failed because it couldn't keep up with the 'net (and Garub's a tool, and the people he had working for him were infantile, but that stuff still sold when it did).
    'Dox out.

He's probably making fun of the fact that you don't know "there" from "they're" indicating an illiteracy that would have little use for a magazine.
    Oh thanks. Pretty sad tbh.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Oy. Anyone that's STARTING a print magazine in this era likely has rocks in their head. Wizard didn't leave a hole that needs to be filled, it failed because it couldn't keep up with the 'net (and Garub's a tool, and the people he had working for him were infantile, but that stuff still sold when it did).
    Well the stuff sold for awhile but Garub's failures was keeping a good staff of writers and all. Rumors were rampant he was going with the most in-expensive writers he could get there . Also what hurt was when Wizard decided it needed a revamp and tried to become a Men's Pop Culture Magazine. And spending most of its pages showing off its Conventions and people there. (Basically Wizard became an advertisement for the Conventions)
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.