View Poll Results: Is Polaris a changeling?

Voters
21. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Yes, she's a changeling!

13 61.90%
  • No, she's homo killcrop!

9 42.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

The idea that Jamie (mistakenly displayed as "Jaime" on the main page) might be a Changeling despite the fact that Changelings are a now-bypassed evolutionary transition is no more credible than the idea that there are exceptions to the rule that mutants' powers manifest at puberty - especially since the term "mutant" has, for some time, represented the evolutionary steps presented in offspring versus parent. Was every such step only verifiable at puberty? Mm... If mutations themselves are all about survival (a philosophical concept more than an evolutionary one, IMO, but one which seems to be shared by Marvel's general and PAD's particular evolutionary constructs) then it makes less sense for them to fail to manifest until puberty. After all, a child who makes to puberty likely has less need for an adaptive trait. If the traits are meant to increase the chances of survival, then being present at-birth is a must.
    Last edited by west3man; 08-01-2012 at 04:08 AM.
    Please pardon any aggressive auto-correct feature typos.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Mm... If mutations themselves are all about survival (a philosophical concept more than an evolutionary one, IMO, but one which seems to be shared by Marvel's general and PAD's particular evolutionary constructs) then it makes less sense for them to fail to manifest until puberty. After all, a child who makes to puberty likely has less need for an adaptive trait. If the traits are meant to increase the chances of survival, then being present at-birth is a must.
    Tryp explicitly mentions that the delayed manifestation of powers is necessarily an evolutionary trait predicated on upping the chances of survival. Powers that appear at birth incite terror, so defenceless babies were either left on dung heaps to die, or murdered in infancy. Postponing the presence of mutation till puberty allows homo superior the chance to at least defend themselves from prejudice. And nowhere is Jamie misspelled.

We're not here to debate the strength of Tryp's flawed theory, we're here to relish in the fact that Lorna Dane murdered her mother, no doubt making her Daddy's favourite.
    PAD's All-New, All-Different X-Factor: From The Beginning
    X-Poster of the Month & Year: (August) 2012 | March 2013
    Come to Deathstrike & .AČ: Mutant League Champions 2013

Quote Originally Posted by .AČ View Post
    We're not here to debate the strength of Tryp's flawed theory, we're here to relish in the fact that Lorna Dane murdered her mother, no doubt making her Daddy's favourite.
    Anya will always be Magneto's favorite.

Tryp explicitly mentions that the delayed manifestation of powers is necessarily an evolutionary trait predicated on upping the chances of survival. Powers that appear at birth incite terror, so defenceless babies were either left on dung heaps to die, or murdered in infancy. Postponing the presence of mutation till puberty allows homo superior the chance to at least defend themselves from prejudice. And nowhere is Jamie misspelled.

I read and addressed what Tryp said.

I also saw Jamie's name misspelled in two places (the "marquee" area at the top and the article summary further down the page) on CBR's main page. At the time I am posting this, both are still misspelled.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled murder relishing.

Retired

My apologies, I thought you meant either in this thread, or in the scans posted. None of us can be held responsible for CBR's poor copy-editing.

Is this the perfect opportunity for Polaris to make friends with Feral? Which other relatives might they murder together? Could they start a strike team together to take down Quicksilver, the Scarlet Witch and Thornn?
    PAD's All-New, All-Different X-Factor: From The Beginning
    X-Poster of the Month & Year: (August) 2012 | March 2013
    Come to Deathstrike & .AČ: Mutant League Champions 2013

Veteran Member Juggernaut Punch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peter F. View Post
    Anya will always be Magneto's favorite.
    This.

I initially scoffed at this theory but it based on what Peter David has said, it looks like it might happen.

My apologies, I thought you meant either in this thread, or in the scans posted. None of us can be held responsible for CBR's poor copy-editing.
    I said it was on the front page and I never said anyone here should be responsible for CBR's copy-editing. Good gravy.

I like the idea of killcrops. Makes sense to me that there is not one way for the x-gene to be expressed and that it by itself underwent evolutionary changes. It would be interesting to have a Changeling book in which a small group of killcrops try to survive the pre-mutant era. Maybe have them run into Apocalypse, Selene or others.
    Talking of Apocalypse, would he be a killcrop? He was born mutated if i recall correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro View Post
    I like the idea of killcrops. Makes sense to me that there is not one way for the x-gene to be expressed and that it by itself underwent evolutionary changes. It would be interesting to have a Changeling book in which a small group of killcrops try to survive the pre-mutant era. Maybe have them run into Apocalypse, Selene or others.
    Talking of Apocalypse, would he be a killcrop? He was born mutated if i recall correct.
    I wouldn't put money on the following, but I think Apocalypse's series showed that he was not born looking like he does, now.

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

Eileen Harsaw is Magneto's favorite child. Anya murdered her brother and sister in that What IF issue, specifically, because Magneto prefered the twins.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

BANNED

Is this the perfect opportunity for Polaris to make friends with Feral? Which other relatives might they murder together? Could they start a strike team together to take down Quicksilver, the Scarlet Witch and Thornn?
    Not unless she's suicidal. Which she may very well be.

I'd go with "changeling" over "killcrop"!

While Lorna possibly does have ties with Magneto, what with Zaladane’s ability to absorb Magneto’s powers in Uncanny X-Men #275 I don’t think the connection is as obvious as Austen made it out to be.

Had Claremont been allowed to play out his projected Neo epic, he might finally have revealed the mystery behind Zaladane’s claim that she is Lorna Dane’s sister!

Moira MacTaggart later claimed that for the power-switching procedure to work (cf. Uncanny X-Men #249-50), Zala and Lorna must have highly-related genetic structures.

However, while both have the same surname, sadly Lorna was adopted as a child and Dane was the name of her adoptive parents, so there must be more to it!

This is where I would posit the Neo as providing the “final solution.”

Readers of Claremont’s stories with these characters will recall power-switching was an ability attributed to leaders of their Warclan.

Did the fact that Zala initially showed up in the Savage Land suggest that Zala was once a chieftain of one such Warclan of the Neo, or at least her parents were, and both she and Lorna possessed the same ability due to this heritage?

As for how Lorna ended up with the Danes, perhaps she was originally a Neo child that they adopted. And recall the Neo were associated with "changelings"!!!

From Uncanny X-Men #52 we know that Lorna was adopted by her aunt, so had her and Zala’s uncle and aunt earlier taken up permanent residence in our dimension, and upon the death of Lorna and Zala’s parents through still unknown circumstances, Lorna ended up in their care while Zala ended up in the Savage Land to fend for herself, perhaps explaining the bitterness she holds towards Lorna, a reversal of the origin of Kevin Plunder and his brother, Parnival.

I will admit that I’m not particularly fond of the idea of Magnus as Lorna’s father, but if the sisters are of Neo origin, it might explain why it was the Savage Land of all locations that the Master of Magnetism chose to build his base of operations.

It might make further sense as to why, upon arriving at their fortress, Magneto commands the Neo to serve in his army, and why Domina submits to his demands.

Did Magneto perhaps set up base in the Savage Land, knowing the dimensional walls there were thin, and clues had led him to believe that Magda had fled to their dimension after giving birth to Wanda and Pietro?

Or was Zaladane perhaps a clone of Lorna Dane and both were created in a lab by none other than Mister Sinister in his early attempts to create a clone of Jean Grey before he created Madelyne Pryor?

Zaladane, for some reason, did not have any mutant genes, but Lorna Dane did possess the mutant genes which were also responsible for her green hair.

While Zaladane claims to be a Mutate she could have perpetuated this lie to serve her purpose of gaining leadership over the Savage Land Mutates.

Did Sinister engineer Lorna Dane to be adopted, like he did with Alex Summers? How interesting that the pair became a couple considering how their early fates were so similar.

What makes this even more likely is the suggestion that Lorna Dane’s parents were killed in a plane crash.

Recall in Classic X-Men #42 Mr. Sinister orchestrated a similar fate for Rick and Trish Bogart, the couple pegged to adopt young Scott Summers, their bodies lying in the wreck of the plane, undiscovered, somewhere in the mountains.

I would have thought that Magneto would have picked the Savage Land because it was close to one of the magnetic poles and he'd be more powerful there. Additionally there was no local government to oppose him.

It very well have been Claremont's intention for both Zala and Lorna to be Neo but I really hate the idea. I didn't like the Neo concept at all. I didn't see what differentiated them from regular mutants. They seemed pretty much the same except they liked to wear face paint. For anyone who doesn't like the Magneto/Polaris retcon read her introduction story. She was introduced as Magneto's daughter and both she and Magneto were extremely emphatic all the way through that they were related. They could sense they were family. She always knew that something was different. They could sense they shared blood. It was really over the top but it was drummed into the reader that she was his kid. Then Iceman comes in and says "Lorna, Magneto couldn't possibly be your father". "Why's that Bobby?" "Because your real parents disappearred in a mysterious plane crash and your adopted!".......it read as totally last minute and made no sense. I mean that's the most flimsy evidence I've ever heard. She didn't even check it out. She just took Iceman's word, a man who had been really sleezing onto her since the moment she met him.

Don't even get me started on the clone thing. I really don't see why people take such an issue with Polaris being the daughter of Magneto. He's not Wolverine but he gets around.
    http://blanchett.t15.org
    Please pledge only 5 days left for Kirsten Vangness' hilarious Kill Me Deadly movie!http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...lm-noir-comedy

It seems like soon we'll see that your theory is correct, interesting thread.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by jrnewto View Post
    I'd go with "changeling" over "killcrop"!

While Lorna possibly does have ties with Magneto, what with Zaladane’s ability to absorb Magneto’s powers in Uncanny X-Men #275 I don’t think the connection is as obvious as Austen made it out to be.

Had Claremont been allowed to play out his projected Neo epic, he might finally have revealed the mystery behind Zaladane’s claim that she is Lorna Dane’s sister!

Moira MacTaggart later claimed that for the power-switching procedure to work (cf. Uncanny X-Men #249-50), Zala and Lorna must have highly-related genetic structures.

However, while both have the same surname, sadly Lorna was adopted as a child and Dane was the name of her adoptive parents, so there must be more to it!

This is where I would posit the Neo as providing the “final solution.”

Readers of Claremont’s stories with these characters will recall power-switching was an ability attributed to leaders of their Warclan.

Did the fact that Zala initially showed up in the Savage Land suggest that Zala was once a chieftain of one such Warclan of the Neo, or at least her parents were, and both she and Lorna possessed the same ability due to this heritage?

As for how Lorna ended up with the Danes, perhaps she was originally a Neo child that they adopted. And recall the Neo were associated with "changelings"!!!

From Uncanny X-Men #52 we know that Lorna was adopted by her aunt, so had her and Zala’s uncle and aunt earlier taken up permanent residence in our dimension, and upon the death of Lorna and Zala’s parents through still unknown circumstances, Lorna ended up in their care while Zala ended up in the Savage Land to fend for herself, perhaps explaining the bitterness she holds towards Lorna, a reversal of the origin of Kevin Plunder and his brother, Parnival.

I will admit that I’m not particularly fond of the idea of Magnus as Lorna’s father, but if the sisters are of Neo origin, it might explain why it was the Savage Land of all locations that the Master of Magnetism chose to build his base of operations.

It might make further sense as to why, upon arriving at their fortress, Magneto commands the Neo to serve in his army, and why Domina submits to his demands.

Did Magneto perhaps set up base in the Savage Land, knowing the dimensional walls there were thin, and clues had led him to believe that Magda had fled to their dimension after giving birth to Wanda and Pietro?

Or was Zaladane perhaps a clone of Lorna Dane and both were created in a lab by none other than Mister Sinister in his early attempts to create a clone of Jean Grey before he created Madelyne Pryor?

Zaladane, for some reason, did not have any mutant genes, but Lorna Dane did possess the mutant genes which were also responsible for her green hair.

While Zaladane claims to be a Mutate she could have perpetuated this lie to serve her purpose of gaining leadership over the Savage Land Mutates.

Did Sinister engineer Lorna Dane to be adopted, like he did with Alex Summers? How interesting that the pair became a couple considering how their early fates were so similar.

What makes this even more likely is the suggestion that Lorna Dane’s parents were killed in a plane crash.

Recall in Classic X-Men #42 Mr. Sinister orchestrated a similar fate for Rick and Trish Bogart, the couple pegged to adopt young Scott Summers, their bodies lying in the wreck of the plane, undiscovered, somewhere in the mountains.
    Lorna being a female clone would make Brevoort happy and a few fans that want some sort of exotic birth for Lorna. But I would prefer Lorna had a flesh and blood mother.