Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

I suppose I may as well get this out of the way while I'm here.

Mod-Ruling

Given its general presentation throughout the series, its ability to destroy a soul fragment without harming the containing body and the obvious fact that it is stated to do so, the Avada Kedavra is attack that, when used on a living being, targets their soul and not their physical body
    Suffering is a fact of life. You survive if you find a reason to endure it.

Your Ice Cream Man Captain Morgan's Avatar

Man, the trolling.

Since that's over I still have a question about HP. Thinking about it I would agree that Dementors soul suck is different from their emotion draining. However, didn't it seem like that's all they were doing to Sirius? Or is it that if they keep sucking the good emotions out they eventually get your soul, but they can also just cut out the middle man and just decide to directly suck out the soul?
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    Since that's over I still have a question about HP. Thinking about it I would agree that Dementors soul suck is different from their emotion draining. However, didn't it seem like that's all they were doing to Sirius? Or is it that if they keep sucking the good emotions out they eventually get your soul, but they can also just cut out the middle man and just decide to directly suck out the soul?
    The emotional thing is a passive aura around them.

The soul-suck is specifically referenced to as a "kiss" (that never actually touches the victim) and requires them to be close to the victim.

I'd have to see the scene again to clarify beyond that.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snake-eyes View Post
    I never said it didn't attack the soul, I'm saying that if we are granting the Avengerverse people the same type of souls so that the spell will work, then we don't get to pick and choose what parts carry over and in the HPverse souls can be seen when not in the body.

Well, the magical attack that Thor tanked completely destroyed the Ice Giants body and as there was no visible ball of light(what souls look like the in HPverse) then the attack must have also destroyed his soul.
    Firstly, you were thread kicked on the last page so I advise you to stop posting.

Second, this is a really nonsensical argument. Just because Harry Potter movie-verse souls are visible (notably only when they are explicitly removed from their bodies or summoned and made visible by the Resurrection Stone) does not mean that attacks that destroy the body but don't display a soul left behind, made in another universe that has never displayed the notion that souls even can be visible, are therefore destroying the soul. The Avengers-verse characters have zero feats of resisting soul-based thus we cannot afford them any special resistance just for resisting shots that were in no way implicated to effect the soul in any way.
    Nik Hasta: "I'm not a ninja dammit!"

Respect the Mamudo Children!
    Follow me on Tumblr!

Snake-eyes, in case you missed it you were instructed not to post in this thread again.

I'll assume that you DID miss it, but best not to do that again.

About that, I lied. The Transient Guest's Avatar

Hmm...how can I put this.....

We see magic hit someone....and a soul comes out. That means that there was a soul in there.

We see magic hit someone....and they turn into a ferret. The ferret was in there the whole time!

And if we apply that to the Avengersverse then the Destroyer also disintegrated the ferret.

This thread just got morbid yo.
    Siriel:
    Transient just likes to do that.

Why he keeps picking up ridiculous arguments and then try to defend them, I will never know.

Quote Originally Posted by The Transient Guest View Post
    This thread just got morbid yo.
    I was under the impression that it has been morbid for a long time.
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
    - That is all.

thor wins this, a better thread would be thor vs voldemort or dumbledore

DOOM DEMANDS MORE NACHOS!

Quote Originally Posted by LordKhaos View Post
    thor wins this, a better thread would be thor vs voldemort or dumbledore
    Even then - he's at least as fast and has guaranteed one-shot kills (or 10-counts) against those dudes. And their best attacks against him are mostly blockable or require speaking, which takes a hell of a lot longer than Thor sending off lightning..

Your Ice Cream Man Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Even then - he's at least as fast and has guaranteed one-shot kills (or 10-counts) against those dudes. And their best attacks against him are mostly blockable or require speaking, which takes a hell of a lot longer than Thor sending off lightning..
    They do have teleportation though. That might keep them alive a bit.

DOOM DEMANDS MORE NACHOS!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    They do have teleportation though. That might keep them alive a bit.
    Book Harry Apparates as well. It's only in the movie where he had to count on Her-Mary Sue-mione.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Book Harry Apparates as well. It's only in the movie where he had to count on Her-Mary Sue-mione.
    Eh, I wouldn't call Hermione a Mary Sue.

A bit deus ex machina at times but she wasn't nearly ridiculous enough to be a Sue.
    Nik Hasta: "I'm not a ninja dammit!"

Respect the Mamudo Children!
    Follow me on Tumblr!

dont be so sure, i mean voldemort can brake a town level shield, can destroy buildings and bridges just by flying, can apparate silently in an instant (dumbledore and voldemort are the only ones who can apparate silently without anyone noticing) , can kill in oneshot, can use powerful shields, can create inferi, he is also indestructible with hocruxes, can become invisble, can mindrape, and can create fiendfyre that could consume anything in its way, and other things. Dumbledore can also apparate in an instant, his battle with grindlevolt(i think i spelled that wrong) was the greatest of all time, mindrape, can see the invisible, can create water, can summon a massive firestorm which hits specific targets, he also can control fire with a thought (as seen in tom riddle's flashback).

Thor caused a thunderstorm which wiped out 100s of frost giants, he also can control the weather(summon hurricanes), has immense strength and durability, can fly, and that's just it IIRC. so i think dumbledore or voldemort would win against thor (mindraping is their best option other than that it will be a lot harder and can go either way) but thor is defenitely winning against harry.

If we're talking books, both could just transmute the guy.
    Book Harry Apparates as well.
    Book Harry never really does it in a combat-useful way, is the thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Eh, I wouldn't call Hermione a Mary Sue.

A bit deus ex machina at times but she wasn't nearly ridiculous enough to be a Sue.
    People are bitter because they gave her almost all of Ron's good scenes or lines. And Ron was already not all that great.