View Poll Results: Which story do fans hate more?

Voters
214. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Sins Past

96 44.86%
  • One More Day

118 55.14%
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_Legend View Post
    It's all about an opinion, for me Ultimate never was superior to 616.
    I think the vast majority of fans would disagree with you. During Mackie's relaunch the Ultimate book was the better read. Bendis and Begley were putting out superb stuff.
    Founder and member of the Spidey 500 Club: Class of 2013.

Come join the club!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
    I think the vast majority of fans would disagree with you. During Mackie's relaunch the Ultimate book was the better read. Bendis and Begley were putting out superb stuff.
    Exactly what I said. Thanks for support my statement.

Exactly what I said. Thanks for support my statement.
    Wait what? Where did you say that? Sorry...

Come join the club!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
    Wait what? Where did you say that? Sorry...
    Doesn't matter, I was joking with you.

Doesn't matter, I was joking with you.
    Went over my head- clearly.

Come join the club!

OMD the most because we lost continuity. Trying to read them differently in some instances don't even make sense anymore.

OMD is like the Clone Saga in such that much of what you knew was wiped out. The only difference is OMD has stuck.

Although both stories were horrible for what they did to spiderman I can't say I didnt laugh when Sins Past described how Osborn won over Gwens panties with his "Animal Magnetism". I laughed for 10 whole minutes on that line.

Harsh takedown of Sins Past from the Chasing Amazing blog...

http://www.chasingamazingblog.com/20...l-straczynski/
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Sins Past destroyed a beautiful first love story about Peter and Gwen and was totally unnecessary but as bad as it was, it was just a story and we can forget that it ever happened since it currently has no effect on the title or character.

OMD destroyed continuity and has stuck around (also for me totally unnecessary). It was a bad idea as it sought to semi-re-start a title that could have progressed along a different road but the editors decided on a lazy and non-creative cop out instead of looking forward to a totally different future for our wall-crawler.

So for me OMD was a lot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    It's not just the Faustian Pact. It's how forced the Faustian Pact actually is. It drags down the entire Marvel Universe into being pathetic.
    And how non-Faustian it actually is.

(Seriously, Joe. If you're going to name-drop a famous work of literature, READ the damn thing first.)
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

That blog article reads like a semi-fan's vomitous, inarticulate rant. Writing off and disbelieving things JMS actually said about the story and his intentions, for no reason, and rife with inconsistent arguments.

If, for instance, JMS had intended Sins Past to ratchet up the blood feud with Osborn how does it make sense that he did absolutely no Osborn-related stories as a follow up? Its clearly a self-contained story that was intended to go exactly nowhere. Except to Sins Remembered, maybe, which is a worse story than Sins Past to me.

And the Gwen/MJ rivalry wouldn't have stopped them from having honor. Stating that MJ would have told Peter about the affair out of spite due to some kind of long-dead rivalry over his dead ex-girlfriend is pretty ridiculous. Thats like worst person on earth kind of cruelty. MJ never did anything remotely like that, not in any comic. Neither did Gwen.

The guy obviously has irrational hatred towards JMS, in spite of his little passive-aggressive pats on the back about his work like Babylon 5. He's free to hate the story, there are plenty of reasons to do that. That panel showing Osborn's O-face is pretty much the only reason anyone needs.

The best thing about Sins Past is that it essentially doesn't exist. Its a great, big who cares story that has no relevance to anything past or present unless you make it have relevance.
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Harsh takedown of Sins Past from the Chasing Amazing blog...

http://www.chasingamazingblog.com/20...l-straczynski/
    Mmmmmmm. It always makes me feel good to see that thing publicly ripped to pieces for the abomination that it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    That blog article reads like a semi-fan's vomitous, inarticulate rant. Writing off and disbelieving things JMS actually said about the story and his intentions, for no reason, and rife with inconsistent arguments.

If, for instance, JMS had intended Sins Past to ratchet up the blood feud with Osborn how does it make sense that he did absolutely no Osborn-related stories as a follow up? Its clearly a self-contained story that was intended to go exactly nowhere. Except to Sins Remembered, maybe, which is a worse story than Sins Past to me.

And the Gwen/MJ rivalry wouldn't have stopped them from having honor. Stating that MJ would have told Peter about the affair out of spite due to some kind of long-dead rivalry over his dead ex-girlfriend is pretty ridiculous. Thats like worst person on earth kind of cruelty. MJ never did anything remotely like that, not in any comic. Neither did Gwen.

The guy obviously has irrational hatred towards JMS, in spite of his little passive-aggressive pats on the back about his work like Babylon 5. He's free to hate the story, there are plenty of reasons to do that. That panel showing Osborn's O-face is pretty much the only reason anyone needs.

The best thing about Sins Past is that it essentially doesn't exist. Its a great, big who cares story that has no relevance to anything past or present unless you make it have relevance.
    I don't really think that's fair. He has an extreme hatred of Sins Past as all right-minded people should, but just because you don't believe someone's statements doesn't mean you hate them.

To the other points.....

1) In fairness, JMS pretty much lost all control of the title after Sins Past, as right after that we start to get into civil war stuff. But the story inherently ratchets up the rivalry. I mean, it would it it wasn't so poorly executed as to make Twilight seem like War and Peace.
    2) Mary Jane in the Romita run had little use for "honor" with regards to trying to nab Peter Parker. She tells him to his face that he should dump Gwen and get with her, and while Gwen was in London, she's coming on to Peter....right in front of her then-boyfriend Harry. Teenage Mary Jane had a lot of growing up to do still.

BUT, even ignoring that, the point that he's trying to make there has more to do with the time when they were married, and it's hard to believe the at times vindictive (Peter wont' talk to me about it so I'll let this guy take these near-nude calendar photos) wouldn't have slipped this out at some point when she was irritated by his pining.
    When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.-C.S.Lewis

Sits on the shelf! President Kang's Avatar

Sin's Past. At it's core, OMD is a tragedy wherein Pete and MJ sacrifice their happiness to save someone they love. That works with their characters, way moreso than Gwen getting it on with Osborn.

Maybe I was a little harsh. The guy probably doesn't deserve that. I just didn't see a reason to disbelieve JMS statements or call him out as some sort of pattern excuser for his controversial stories.

As to MJ's secret, it all depends on how you view MJ. But I can see your point about the marriage years. Heck, MJ was so inconsistently portrayed during many of those years that it might be possible to think her capable of almost anything.
    Perfect humility dispenses with modesty.