Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Are Comicbook resource reviewers giving Marvel comics better reviews than DC

Mods, please delete or move if you feel this topic is an inappropriate area or of an inappropriate nature.
    It seems from a purely observational mode, Marvel comics on a whole receive 3, 4, 5 star reviews quite often and seem to be the norm. Meanwhile DC titles seem to garner poorer reviews more frequently. Now, granted, I have not quantified months of reviews to test this little theory of mine, so perhaps my perceptions are off. But suppose, my perception is accurate, what is the cause of this discrepancy? Does Marvel really turn out higher quality comics or is some sort of bias occurring among the reviewers. Bias can be caused simply because one has grown up reading Marvel or DC. I know that if I attempted to review comic books, I'd have a definitive lean in favor-ability towards DC comics because that's what I've grown up on. I know way wish to impugn people who review for this site and perhaps no bias occurs in regards to their reviews and the company they prefer. There just seems to be an interesting question here. So to paraphrase, my question is this: Does anyone else think DC garners less favorable reviews and if so, what is the cause?

Well, if you look at the monthly comic book sales charts, DC has a stronghold on the Top 10 very often and the books that make it there probably get stellar reviews. But, if you'll notice also that alot of DC books outside of the Top 10 tend to slide and becoming middling titles. I think CBR reviews are just reflecting the content of those sliding titles. Marvel tends to do well with their books overall in comparison to DC. I definitely don't think there's much bias (or any at all) on the part of CBR reviewers. DC books are high-profile and everybody can judge the content for themselves. I know I have as I'm only down to one DC title anymore. I find alot of DC titles to be flatout boring. That's not a biased view, but it's just what I've experienced.
    Marvel : Moon Knight, Savage Hulk (6/25), Original Sin (5/7)

DC : Aquaman, Aquaman & the Others

Well, maybe you should consider the possibility that Marvel's writers are simply doing a fine job right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Castel View Post
    Well, maybe you should consider the possibility that Marvel's writers are simply doing a fine job right now.
    LOL have you read Avengers vs X-men #8? They gave that 4 1/2 stars.. Really?
    D-Deadman! You killed Deadman!!

Are Comicbook resource reviewers giving Marvel comics better reviews than DC
    you know, i think they kinda are. i've noticed it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadenewt View Post
    LOL have you read Avengers vs X-men #8? They gave that 4 1/2 stars.. Really?
    Nah, from Marvel right now i just read Spider-man and the FF.

Didn't say that Marvel was doing amazingly right now by the way, the hell if i know how good the other titles are, just that maybe those praises are deserved.

Maybe.

I don't see why Marvel would garner any special favors. I would think that with all of the hubbub surrounding the New 52 that if anyone was going to recieve largely glowing reviews (although perhaps biased) would be DC.
    Marvel : Moon Knight, Savage Hulk (6/25), Original Sin (5/7)

DC : Aquaman, Aquaman & the Others

Quote Originally Posted by Castel View Post
    Nah, from Marvel right now i just read Spider-man and the FF.

Didn't say that Marvel was doing amazingly right now by the way, the hell if i know how good the other titles are, just that maybe those praises are deserved.

Maybe.
    Don't count on it.
    D-Deadman! You killed Deadman!!

I've not really noticed that to be honest, though even if it were true it wouldn't really bother me. I know what I like and I'll continue to buy it, when it comes down to a Marvel vs DC comparison on my own personal purchases I'm overwhelmingly more likely to buy DC these days.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by crossbones View Post
    you know, i think they kinda are. i've noticed it too.
    Golly jee, I never quite looked at things that way.

So what if they are?

The only medium I've found where reviewers aren't 90% full of crap is maybe cinema.
    Same Day: Batgirl, Supergirl, WW, DemonK, JLD, Dial H, Earth 2, SoS
    Maybe Later: Action, GL, Aqua, DCUP, Titans, Firestorm, Animal, Swampy, Batwoman, Worlds F, JL, Flash, PhantomS, BoP, GL: NG

Quote Originally Posted by Famousringo View Post
    So what if they are?

The only medium I've found where reviewers aren't 90% full of crap is maybe cinema.
    Wow, really? I consider that the medium most associated with dodgy reviewers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Golly jee, I never quite looked at things that way.
    Wow. That was totally helpful.

I've thought the same about the reviews here (not the golly "gee" part tho). How Marvel reviewers can't scream how awful 75% of the art is shows they are being way too charitable - half a comic's worth in my opinion.
    "Love is the bane of honor, the death of duty." - Maester Aemon Targaryen, of Castle Black (Game of Thrones)

Quote Originally Posted by ropeburn39 View Post
    Wow. That was totally helpful.

I've thought the same about the reviews here (not the golly "gee" part tho). How Marvel reviewers can't scream how awful 75% of the art is shows they are being way too charitable - half a comic's worth in my opinion.
    For some of the books on my shelf, it's all they're worth...Though still worth every penny. I find a comic's art can be stunning and a dodgy story and I'll still get something out of it, but turn that on its head and have the story stunning and crappy art and I'll struggle a lot more. The artwork to me is often crucial.

Who cares? They praise shit from Bendis and other horrible creators, while lambasting some really great comics.
    X-Poster of the Month: May 2013
    The Best There Is At What I Do

Top Ten Magic Bitches