View Poll Results: Who is Antman?

Voters
98. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Hank Pym

    42 42.86%
  • Scott Lang

    45 45.92%
  • Eric O’Grady

    7 7.14%
  • Garrett Morris

    0 0%
  • Someone new

    4 4.08%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 204
  1. #31
    Anarchist Cat Owner pryde15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    28,950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    ..........gpitxbt
    Hey! That's awful!
    I actually don't know what that means but I'm sure it was just filthy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    and why wouldn't i take it personally? don't you, personally, want Hank to succeed? i, personally, want to read about my favorite character. i can't very well do that if Hank steals his identity. this isn't rocket science.
    I don't think it qualifies as theft if Pym originated the role.

  2. #32
    Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    46,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ogre U AHole View Post


    Not sure if serious.
    Scott is Ant-Man. Hank handed him the costume and told him that he was Ant-man. that was in the 80s. Hank was Yellowjacket at the time; had given up on being Ant-man. Scott, as Ant-Man, was part of the Fantastic Four, Heroes for Hire, and Avengers. he's as official as it gets. unless he hands the costume back to Hank, it's theft. Eric isn't even Ant-Man. he's G.I.Ant-Man. his costumed identity was created by a skrull. Hank made a point of saying that he hadn't chosen him. he specifically told Eric that he had chosen Scott as his successor. why would i have to explain this to you?
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

  3. #33
    Pure Hellcatnip Lady_Alternate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Over Here
    Posts
    15,144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    and why wouldn't i take it personally?
    Because you are neither Pym, Lang or O'Grady, who are the people being discussed here. If you interpret someone's positive expression of interest in a character as a personal attack on yourself, then the issue lays with you.

    The discussion is about the characters and the book, not the posters.
    Women are beautiful. But we're not here for your goddamn titillation.- junesdisco

  4. #34
    Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    46,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pryde15 View Post
    Hey! That's awful!
    I actually don't know what that means but I'm sure it was just filthy.



    I don't think it qualifies as theft if Pym originated the role.
    i'm sure that you put a lot of thought into this.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

  5. #35
    Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    46,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Alternate View Post
    Because you are neither Pym, Lang or O'Grady, who are the people being discussed here. If you interpret someone's positive expression of interest in a character as a personal attack on yourself, then the issue lays with you.

    The discussion is about the characters and the book, not the posters.
    actually it isn't. it's about what posters want to see. the characters have no say in it. and there was nothing positive about his expression. and it's not a discussion until someone provides a counter-argument.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

  6. #36
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    9,237

    Default

    Can we agree that the .1 teaser is just misdirection? They just didn't want to spoil the real flagship book of Marvel Now - Wasp and the Ant-Men!

  7. #37
    Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    46,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOff View Post
    Can we agree that the .1 teaser is just misdirection? They just didn't want to spoil the real flagship book of Marvel Now - Wasp and the Ant-Men!
    i can agree that this would be the best outcome, for me.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

  8. #38
    Anarchist Cat Owner pryde15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    28,950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    i'm sure that you put a lot of thought into this.
    About as much as you have into this increasingly childish rant of yours.
    Is it really an issue for you that someone wants Hank Pym to be Antman just as vehemently as you want Scott Lang to have control of it?

  9. #39
    Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    46,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pryde15 View Post
    About as much as you have into this increasingly childish rant of yours.
    Is it really an issue for you that someone wants Hank Pym to be Antman just as vehemently as you want Scott Lang to have control of it?
    why are we talking?
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

  10. #40
    C'est kinky Seresecros's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    20,837

    Default

    Monty Cristo is always right regarding Ant Man so stop ganging up against him, y'jerks. Pay attention and you might learn

  11. #41
    Senior Member Legion_Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    3,353

    Default

    Monty Cristo is right in regards that Lang was the Pym endorsed Ant Man.

    However, the key thing there is that he was Pym endorsed. You cant have Ant Man without Pym, but Pym isn't the current Ant Man.

    If Pym was to take back the Ant Man role, he would have to deal with Scott saying that was alright as it isnt his identity to just take up any more, and if Scott was written to say no, he'd be within his right and it would certainly be an interesting storyline.
    I Will Raise my Throne above the Stars of your Gods

  12. #42
    Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    46,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Quest View Post
    Monty Cristo is right in regards that Lang was the Pym endorsed Ant Man.

    However, the key thing there is that he was Pym endorsed. You cant have Ant Man without Pym, but Pym isn't the current Ant Man.
    true. but you can't have Doctor Erskine without Captain America either. you can't have Jim Hammond without Phineas Horton. Wendell Vaughn didn't create his quantum bands. Thor didn't create mjolnir. etc. Pym, and this is important, moved on from being Ant-man. he became Giant-Man because Ant-Man wasn't enough. he became Goliath. he became Yellowjacket. he was two degrees removed from Ant-Man when he passed the torch to Scott. at that point, it became Scott's legacy; one that continues through Cassie.

    and, at this point, Scott doesn't need Hank. his body has absorbed the pym particles (same with Jan and Cassie). Scott has repaired his own helmet before. he's a top notch electrical engineer; skilled enough that Stark hired him from prison. he can build pretty anything with a schematic (repair a time machine, build a nuclear powered pace maker, reprogram a sophisticated android, reverse engineer doom tech). he and Hank are friends. but Scott has been Ant-Man long enough that it's part of who he is. the endorsement is irrelevant now that other heroes have accepted Scott as ant-man.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

  13. #43
    Senior Member Legion_Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    3,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    true. but you can't have Doctor Erskine without Captain America either. you can't have Jim Hammond without Phineas Horton. Wendell Vaughn didn't create his quantum bands. Thor didn't create mjolnir. etc. Pym, and this is important, moved on from being Ant-man. he became Giant-Man because Ant-Man wasn't enough. he became Goliath. he became Yellowjacket. he was two degrees removed from Ant-Man when he passed the torch to Scott. at that point, it became Scott's legacy; one that continues through Cassie.

    and, at this point, Scott doesn't need Hank. his body has absorbed the pym particles (same with Jan and Cassie). Scott has repaired his own helmet before. he's a top notch electrical engineer; skilled enough that Stark hired him from prison. he can build pretty anything with a schematic (repair a time machine, build a nuclear powered pace maker, reprogram a sophisticated android, reverse engineer doom tech). he and Hank are friends. but Scott has been Ant-Man long enough that it's part of who he is. the endorsement is irrelevant now that other heroes have accepted Scott as ant-man.
    Yeah, but he's been dead, and then left to stay MIA after CC, where as Pym has been out and about doing things.

    Out of sight, out of mind is a huge thing in comics, and with Lang not even being the most recent Ant Man because of that, if you take away the importance of the original blessing to boost Lang's claim, you equally damage the fact that his death allowed someone else to move in and take that away.

    Add in the fact that his legacy, in Cassie, is now also dead and you have a character whose entire purpose for being a hero, or being important, is gone.

    Him finding a new reason, or trying to find a way to being Cassie back is a compelling story for sure, but equally, the adjustment to a world where he died, and a world where his daughter died in an adventure that he got to live through, could have turned him off hero'ing all together.

    It'll definitely be interesting to see who that Ant Man is.
    I Will Raise my Throne above the Stars of your Gods

  14. #44
    Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    46,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Quest View Post
    Yeah, but he's been dead, and then left to stay MIA after CC, where as Pym has been out and about doing things.

    as the Wasp. as Giant-Man. and the Scott that is walking around right now did not die. he hasn't been missing in action. he was pulled into the future.

    Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Quest View Post
    Out of sight, out of mind is a huge thing in comics, and with Lang not even being the most recent Ant Man because of that, if you take away the importance of the original blessing to boost Lang's claim, you equally damage the fact that his death allowed someone else to move in and take that away.

    you say that while forgetting that Hank had been kidnapped by a skrull. before MIghty Avengers, he was missing in action. the skrull made a g.i.ant-man armor based on pym's old science. and that suit was stole before eventually being awarded to Eric O'Grady by Tony Stark. it has nothing to do with any of this. Cassie kept Scott's name alive during that period.

    Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Quest View Post
    Add in the fact that his legacy, in Cassie, is now also dead and you have a character whose entire purpose for being a hero, or being important, is gone.
    that wasn't his entire purpose any more than Maria was Pym's. Scott became Ant-Man because he's an action junkie. it took the place of him breaking into expensive homes. read the last page of his marvel premiere intro. he spells out his motivations for the audience. the point of that marvel premiere story was the resurrection of an abandoned identity. Hank didn't want to be Ant-Man. that costume was collecting dust. to accentuate that point, hank allowed Scott to steal the identity before deciding that it suited Scott better (hank's words were that the identity seemed to fit Scott). Hank was comfortable as Yellowjacket. that right there makes Scott more worthy of the identity. it's like comparing Peter Parker's ownership of the venom symbiote to Brock.

    Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Quest View Post
    Him finding a new reason, or trying to find a way to being Cassie back is a compelling story for sure, but equally, the adjustment to a world where he died, and a world where his daughter died in an adventure that he got to live through, could have turned him off hero'ing all together.
    Cassie started out as a stage prop. if you look at their history in total, they are rarely in the same room. you'll see Scott name drop her to remind the readers that he's a single father. you'll see him talking to her over the phone. but mainly it was his story as a costumed adventurer. Cassie became important because Scott died (not the other way around). you mentioned there being no ant-man without pym. there's no cassie without scott.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

  15. #45
    Senior Member Legion_Quest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    3,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    as the Wasp. as Giant-Man. and the Scott that is walking around right now did not die. he hasn't been missing in action. he was pulled into the future.
    It seems that not that many people bothered to read CC, so to the audience, he was dead. To him, he was alive, but the world considers him dead. As such, simple things like an apartment, any family or assets will have moved on etc. Just because that specific version of Lang didnt die doesnt erase the consequences of his death in real terms. He's got a lot of cleaning up to do.


    Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    you say that while forgetting that Hank had been kidnapped by a skrull. before MIghty Avengers, he was missing in action. the skrull made a g.i.ant-man armor based on pym's old science. and that suit was stole before eventually being awarded to Eric O'Grady by Tony Stark. it has nothing to do with any of this. Cassie kept Scott's name alive during that period.
    Sure, it wasn't Pym, but it was Pym until they came up with the story, and even then, a character called Hank Pym was there in the public eye and getting name dropped all over events. So while it wasn't the real Pym, the character was not out of sight or out of mind. Cassie was Stature and, as a Young Avenger certainly did keep the Lang name out there, but the majority of the YA was focussed on Patriot and his drugs and Wiccan and his family. Cassie was an important cast member, but her story was the whole synthezoid relationship, it wasnt about her family until Mighty Avengers or the one issue of YA Presents that focussed on her.

    Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    that wasn't his entire purpose any more than Maria was Pym's. Scott became Ant-Man because he's an action junkie. it took the place of him breaking into expensive homes. read the last page of his marvel premiere intro. he spells out his motivations for the audience. the point of that marvel premiere story was the resurrection of an abandoned identity. Hank didn't want to be Ant-Man. that costume was collecting dust. to accentuate that point, hank allowed Scott to steal the identity before deciding that it suited Scott better (hank's words were that the identity seemed to fit Scott). Hank was comfortable as Yellowjacket. that right there makes Scott more worthy of the identity. it's like comparing Peter Parker's ownership of the venom symbiote to Brock.
    His reason for using the Ant Man tech was her. While he may have continued on to become Ant Man due to the rush, his most important runs as a character in big books was when he was in FF, where his story was very much of the single dad who worried he wasnt good enough and should devote more time to her, and in Avengers, where it was mentioned a lot he was a single father. Yes, he has other reasons, and yes he has had further development, but the fact is that he's a relatively minor character in the grand scheme of things and his previous big time appearances have focussed a lot more on his role as a father, not as a super adventurer/thrill junkie. His worthiness of the role isn't in question for me, he has as much right to the name as Pym does, but as a character, he isn't as well known and without his daughter, he doesnt have that connection to the wider audience who are only going to know his as 'that single dad who hung with the FF in the 90s?' or 'the guy Wanda killed right?'

    Quote Originally Posted by Monty_Cristo View Post
    Cassie started out as a stage prop. if you look at their history in total, they are rarely in the same room. you'll see Scott name drop her to remind the readers that he's a single father. you'll see him talking to her over the phone. but mainly it was his story as a costumed adventurer. Cassie became important because Scott died (not the other way around). you mentioned there being no ant-man without pym. there's no cassie without scott.
    Cassie was a stage prop, but like all good props, she was key to the role that was written for that character. Whether it was issue with his ex wife, issues with time or issues with dying and leaving her, he never strayed for from reminding everyone she was around. They came as a package (and one that really worked in FF, and that I really enjoyed (granted more so for Cassie/Kristoff, but still), His story as a costumed adventurer generally revolved around her in books that people are going to have read, or that they would likely be able to read.

    You are right, there is no Cassie without Scott, but there isnt much of a Scott without her either, and while that story is one that we really could get in this new Ant Man series (and one I would read, because I do like the character even if I prefer Pym), it would make an equal amount of sense if he wanted to retire and grieve or get his life in order after the world thought him dead, or even that he might do a 'Wonder Man' and turn villainous because he feels the established super heroes do more harm than good because of said grief. We wont know until the series gets proper publicity, but I do think there is just as much chance he'd give the identity back as keep it, all things considered.
    I Will Raise my Throne above the Stars of your Gods

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •