Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    This. A thousand times this. Nolan took Year One and made it a million times better, not to mention that he told us about Bruce's training as well, something we dont see in YO.
    for Batman: Year One to go through Bruce's training wouldn't have worked for me. It was Batman: Year One, not Bruce Wayne: Year 18.

Quote Originally Posted by net06 View Post
    Perhaps Ironically Batman begins began as an attempt to make a live action version of Batman Year one. It was going to have been directed by Darren Aronofsky and scripted by Frank Miller.
    Yeah, but did you ever read about Frank Millers script? Lets just say Batman Begins was more faithful to Miller than Miller was. LOL.

I'll have to pick this up since I love me some Ben McKenzie (only $5?). I also liked the "Year One" comic but I think Nolan/Goyer new what to take and what to leave from it, not to mention what to add to it.

This movie is definitely a great buy for $5. Batman: Year One is one of my favorite Batman films.

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post
    Yeah, but did you ever read about Frank Millers script? Lets just say Batman Begins was more faithful to Miller than Miller was. LOL.

I'll have to pick this up since I love me some Ben McKenzie (only $5?). I also liked the "Year One" comic but I think Nolan/Goyer new what to take and what to leave from it, not to mention what to add to it.
    Funny, I actually make it a point to reference Miller's Year One script as one of the reasons I don't think he should be writing movies. How can you take your own story and screw it up so horribly?

Big Al's Auto Repair? REALLY?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by flamemasterelan View Post
    Funny, I actually make it a point to reference Miller's Year One script as one of the reasons I don't think he should be writing movies. How can you take your own story and screw it up so horribly?
    Probably because 80s Miller and recent Miller are basically different people.

I loved this movie... it is one of the best animated Batman I like. My favorite scene in Year One was when the bat came through the window and landed on the bust of Thomas Wayne... I loved seeing that on film!

Miller's ELEKTRA screenplay was fantastic (although I thought that suffered from a typical Miller-ism in that the story became too epic for that character). But yeah, some of the drastic changes he wanted to make with that movie were crazy. So far removed from Batman that it could be an original character (hey!) - The Fixer!
    EAT GLASS, LAWMAN!

Quote Originally Posted by Seattle Freeze View Post
    ^The art in the movie was far better than the art of the comic.
    Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Woah there - that's crazy talk.

Batman Year One has some of the finest art ever to grace a comic. The movie doesn't come close.
    Definitely crazy talk. I mean, I know art appreciation is subjective but I just never thought I see any one put down David Mazzucchelli's art.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Perhaps. I'll be honest and say I haven't been the biggest Miller fan, so I'm not quite sure how his writing compares over time. I mean, I enjoyed the film adaptation of Sin City(never read the original comic), but really disliked 300. And while I have some issues with Year One(usually the general Miller-isms of trying to be offensive or controversial just for the sake of being offensive/controversial), I genuinely enjoyed the story. So it's just surprising to me that a guy who sought to do nearly exact adaptations of two of his works(from what I've heard), would pretty much tear down everything he did in Year One.

Quote Originally Posted by Congo Jack View Post
    Miller's ELEKTRA screenplay was fantastic (although I thought that suffered from a typical Miller-ism in that the story became too epic for that character). But yeah, some of the drastic changes he wanted to make with that movie were crazy. So far removed from Batman that it could be an original character (hey!) - The Fixer!
    Pretty much, yeah. When you take away the rich boy/butler from Bruce Wayne, it's pretty much the same as taking away Super Strength from Superman, or Wall-Crawling from Spider-man.

BANNED

Perhaps. I'll be honest and say I haven't been the biggest Miller fan, so I'm not quite sure how his writing compares over time. I mean, I enjoyed the film adaptation of Sin City(never read the original comic), but really disliked 300. And while I have some issues with Year One(usually the general Miller-isms of trying to be offensive or controversial just for the sake of being offensive/controversial), I genuinely enjoyed the story. So it's just surprising to me that a guy who sought to do nearly exact adaptations of two of his works(from what I've heard), would pretty much tear down everything he did in Year One.
    Miller just became a completely different writer around the late 90s, which is why as baffling as it sounds, it doesn't completely surprise me he would butcher his own work for a film adaptation. I love Dark Knight Returns, Batman Year One, Daredevil, Ronin, Martha Washington, etc. But since then his work has been horrible, and I'm not even going to bother with Holy Terror, his most recent work, based on what I've heard.

But then again, he's praised Batman Begins a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post

Big Al's Auto Repair? REALLY?
    Quote Originally Posted by Congo Jack View Post

Pretty much, yeah. When you take away the rich boy/butler from Bruce Wayne, it's pretty much the same as taking away Super Strength from Superman, or Wall-Crawling from Spider-man.
    Miller just became a completely different writer around the late 90s, which is why as baffling as it sounds, it doesn't completely surprise me he would butcher his own work for a film adaptation. I love Dark Knight Returns, Batman Year One, Daredevil, Ronin, Martha Washington, etc. But since then his work has been horrible, and I'm not even going to bother with Holy Terror, his most recent work, based on what I've heard.

But then again, he's praised Batman Begins a lot.

Most of the changes were Darren Aronofsky(You know, the guy who actually knew how to write movie scripts at the time and taught Miller how to do it) and Miller approved and helped with the dialogue and some plot points, but those radical plot points were Aronofsky's. And Honestly the script wasn't nearly as aweful as you guys are saying. It could have been an AWESOME Eleseworlds and as a Film, I seriously think that Aronofsky could have made it work, there are few who could, probably one, but Aronofsky? Yeah. Definitely.
    ...And does Mr. Goddanm Batman says so much as ''Thanks''? OF COURSE not. That'd hardly be GRIM AND GRITTY, would it?

The jerk...

-DKU's Jim Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    Most of the changes were Darren Aronofsky(You know, the guy who actually knew how to write movie scripts at the time and taught Miller how to do it)
    Frank Miller wrote the screenplay for ROBOCOP 2 at least eight years before Darren Aronofsky made a feature film.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    And Honestly the script wasn't nearly as aweful as you guys are saying. It could have been an AWESOME Eleseworlds and as a Film, I seriously think that Aronofsky could have made it work, there are few who could, probably one, but Aronofsky? Yeah. Definitely. )
    I didn’t say it was awful, though I do think that if a film treatment could only be done as an ‘Elseworlds’ take then at some point it stops being Batman; and becomes more suitable to an original character.
    EAT GLASS, LAWMAN!

It was a fine movie but I really would have preferred a DCAU version of Batman's origins. The bits we get from TAS and Phantasm were really interesting.

NEW VALIANT blog is up! Manga4life's Avatar

If this movie was 10-15 minutes longer than I think it would have been absolutely perfect. I truly loved the storytelling and the smooth animation and this movie looks great in blu-ray, I just hope DC animation keeps making animated movies on Batman because as it stands I've read that this movie is the lowest selling DC animated film they've done yet. That could be because some stores were giving this away for free with the latest Batman video game and that could have altered the numbers for Year One due to the individual SKU not being rung through POS in retail.

Your Hero's Favorite Hero Jay Dogg's Avatar

I enjoyed it...much better than Gotham Knight, but slightly below Under the Red Hood.

I wish DC would reconsider doing The Judas Contract (Teen Titans). I want something other than another Batman, Superman, or Justice League film.

I know about Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and the upcoming Flashpoint...but still. There's another Superman coming (Brainiac), and I'm sure another Batman is not far behind.