Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Emma. Kirsten's Mary Jane is one of the reasons I dont like her as a charater

I believe the only fair way to decide this is oil wrestling.

May the best actress win.

Emma Stone for sure! It's not even a competition really. Emma stole the show, while Kirsten was just another character to me.

I would have preferred a potted plant to Kirstin Dunst, so it's not at all fair.

I prefer Emma Stone's character but Kirsten Dunst is the better actress in my opinion.

Elder Member

Dunst in every single way.

Emma Stone by a country mile. Her depiction of Gwen was on par with J.K. Simmons's portrayal of Jonah. Perfect casting and just cute as a button!
    "Women... they come and go, but the Jonah is eternal." - ViewtifulJC

That aside, my opinion on this thread. You're comparing actresses who played two different characters in two different spider-man series. If the question is who's hotter, then obviously emma stone. But I take the question as who fits their character better, and I gotta say it's emma stone once again. Regardless of whether you think Kirsten Dunst is pretty or not, she does not come close to resembling Mary Jane as drawn by any artist ever. Her personality? Way off. So was Peter Parker in that awful trilogy but that's another topic.

Who played a better spidey girlfriend? Emma Stone. But she was in a much better movie and her character was written well. The first trilogy wrote MJ like a moody, self absorbed drama queen. At least this new movie's Gwen seemed like the type of person a guy would feel comfortable revealing his secret identity to.

Quote Originally Posted by Trallis View Post
    That aside, my opinion on this thread. You're comparing actresses who played two different characters in two different spider-man series. If the question is who's hotter, then obviously emma stone. But I take the question as who fits their character better, and I gotta say it's emma stone once again. Regardless of whether you think Kirsten Dunst is pretty or not, she does not come close to resembling Mary Jane as drawn by any artist ever. Her personality? Way off. So was Peter Parker in that awful trilogy but that's another topic.

Who played a better spidey girlfriend? Emma Stone. But she was in a much better movie and her character was written well. The first trilogy wrote MJ like a moody, self absorbed drama queen. At least this new movie's Gwen seemed like the type of person a guy would feel comfortable revealing his secret identity to.
    You know what's kinda funny? MJ was written as pretty flaky in her early years, right? And I thought Kirsten Dunst's portrayal was pretty flaky (whether by her acting or the writing). But it was a different kind of flaky. I can't put my finger on exactly how it was different, but it totally didn't work for me at all.
    "Women... they come and go, but the Jonah is eternal." - ViewtifulJC

No time for white drama Ballard Blues's Avatar

Personally, while I'm not the biggest fan of Dunst's portrayal (or rather the characterization) of Mary Jane in the Raimi films, I got the impression she understood the history of character through what she knew of her via the script. I thought she nailed the part of Mary Jane's character that's not a huge focus in other things I've seen her in; the troubled and disappointed young woman with a lousy family life who unfortunately has the lousiest luck with men (with the exception, of course, being Peter Parker/Spider-Man). The other parts of the character, the more upbeat, flirty, positive and "happy-go-lucky" bits of MJ's personality, were utterly unexplored or simply misdirected by either Dunst or Raimi.

The films focused more on the troubled aspects of the character, shook up the relationship between herself and Peter for no reason after Spider-Man II. They made MJ a walking angst magnet, emotionally wrecked by the fact that her boyfriend was being insensitive to the fact that his showing off and absorption into his alter ego was bugging the crap out of her. It doesn't help matters that she never properly conveyed her frustrations to Peter all that well either.

Emma Stone, on the other hand, is Emma Stone. That's all I see her as whenever she's in a film (and that's simply saying she's a one-note actresses regardless of the genre).
    “For the natural born smartass, nine times out of ten
    the "smartass impulse" is acted upon before the brain
    has even engaged in first gear.”
    - Stephen King?

Emma Stone, by far
    Amazing Spider-Man, Iron Man, Scarlet Spider, Thor: God of Thunder, Ultimate Spider-Man, The Ultimates, Ultimate X-Men, Uncanny Avengers, Venom

Emma Stone.
    Don't get me wrong, Dunst played a pretty good MJ; speaking of shouldn't this be a question of Emma Stone vs Bryce Dallas Howard? (Who Stone also beats btw).

Emma Stone was just amazing: Attractive, Shy, Strong and yet Emotional, Expressive and yet Oh-so-socially-awkward (that scene in the hallway?!?!?!). No question.

I like both.

Emma Stone was one of only two good things about ASM (the other being Martin Sheen). She completely outshone the rest of the cast in every scene she was in. She made the most out of what little she was given and overcame all of the flaws in the script and the poor dialogue she was given. Basically, she made a terrible film bearable to watch.

Kirsten Dunst didn't stand out as much as Stone did, but the quality of the script and actors she was working with ensured that she wouldn't.

Bump. Have no idea why. Bored I guess.

I like Emma Stone quite a bit in other movies, but I can barely recall her in TASM. She was just...there, with little to no personality. Kirsten Dunst on the hand was sweet, funny, and had better chemistry with her Peter Parker. Sure, she was a damsel in distress, but it made sense for her to be that way. TASM's Gwen didn't feel like a character with natural reactions. She was a stock character who bore little resemblance to her comic book counterpart.

Emma Stone all day every day and twice on Sunday.
    "What oldschool said"
    The Shadow, 2008