Page 5 of 334 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Global Honored View Post
    Per Marvel Forum policy, all threads are restarted around the 10,000 post range.

And here are the previous iterations of one of CBR's most popular discussions:

I: http://forums.comicbookresources.com...d.php?t=206920
    II: http://forums.comicbookresources.com...d.php?t=309677
    III: http://forums.comicbookresources.com...d.php?t=337813
    IV: http://forums.comicbookresources.com...d.php?t=357611
    V: http://forums.comicbookresources.com...d.php?t=371528
    VI: http://forums.comicbookresources.com...d.php?t=387451
    VII: http://forums.comicbookresources.com...-the-King-quot

Repowered and reinvigorated, we return to Wakanda as Kings and Queens once more....
    Oooo! Another Black Panther Appreciation thread.
    Brother Chaos Bringer

Professional TROLL killer

Awww! YoU caught my logic slug. Did it hurt your brain?

Willy Wonka Swagger! FLEX HECTIC's Avatar

Okay you had your fun in this new thread now back to business...

Dear MykhaelKhan,

That list is the entire reason why we have the Black Panther character.

This is comic books where every single thing is a gimmick.

No one is reading about Steve Rogers, Dr. Banner or some guy named Tony Stark playing with a modified Palystation.

This is not the Hallmark channel or the Lifetime channel this about men with the ability to shoot lasers out of their eyes and the ability to fly at mach speeds.

In fact Hickman's entire Fantastic Four story arc contradicts your entire argument because it is full of gimmicks that are about everything but T'challa... Read it again and come back harder next time.

Comic-con is full of people dressed up as their favorite hero not some average joes.

"Ooooh... The man called T'challa has some deep inner conflict and can overcome not being a king and..."

Marvel: "Cancelled! Sorry to interrupt your retrospect but we are ceasing the ongoing comic and the movie is placed back on development hack! Have a nice day!"

You were saying...

Hallmark channel, Lifetime channel, soap operas and B movie action flicks for you my friend... We buy and sell super hero comics in this genre you might be in the wrong place!

Flex Hectic - Puts on primary colored spandex with matching cape and highly advanced tech utility belt and becomes a multi-billion dollar franchise.

MikhaelKhan - Puts on True Value Hardware Store tool belt with last years model Tim boots and deeply broods over the inner conflict of fixing a rusty 57 Chevy in his backyard full of unmowed lawn until cancelation, limbo and disgruntled viewers move on to more "Fantastic" and "Epic" tales of pure escapism.

Are you sure special effects, smoke and mirrors and exotic settings don't matter because Lucas, Cameron, Spielberg and a few other billion dollar franchises might disagree.

Soooo... Is Bast a racist or not?
    Kanye West: "Marvel Comics does not like Black Panther!"

I am a T.R.O.L.L.... Totally Ruling On Line Linguistics!

You're so vain... I bet you think this post is about you don't you!

Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MykhaelKhan View Post

I don't really get what all the Bast hatred is about. The Panther clan IS the Panther clan because of the Panther god.

The concept of the Panther god adds that Balance to his knowledge of science, I like T'Challa being well rounded and not just depending on one thing.
    The other part of that is that it honors the rich spiritualism and that Africa has; it wouldn't seem as genuine if there wasn't that mystical aspect to T'Challa and Wankanda
    I'm beginning to understand what the issue is with Bast. It's similar to the Wonder Woman issue of having to deal with gods all the time.

The concept of the panther god is fine. Praying to the panther god is fine. And BP utilizing magic and mystisim is fine.

The issue is having Bast quite literally around. Advising, fighting, being an integral part of Wakanda's history instead of Wakanda having that spirituality, but essentially building themselves up from scratch. It makes you wonder why they didnt just ask for Bast's help more often, it allows plenty of questions towards Bast and the Wakandans for praying to her.

And worst of all, it makes the all powerful christian/jewish/muslim god, who is never seen but controls everything, more omnipotent. The problem with copreal gods is that by concept, they are inferior to the incopreal ones. If you have a body, you can be defeated/destroyed. Incorpreal ones invoke the idea of omnipotency, an all-knowing all seeing enigmatic mystique. Bast doesn't.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com

Gone

\
    Quote Originally Posted by taozen View Post
    The concept I like about Bast is that it can link T'Challa to mythological based stories. That sort of makes him unique. T'Challa is already linked to an advanced scientific society that is warrior based in concept. I know it can be awkward but tying T'Challa to myth opens up even more stories that talented writers can create. The best blend of combining the scientific, martial techniques, and spirituality was Jason Aaron's story, "See Wakanda and Die." The key is to keep Bast in the back ground connected to T'Challa through dreams or waking dreams through ingesting the heart shaped herb. In comics you are able to create a greater array of stories. Movies would be more limiting. Just looking at something as simple of Captain Americas costume. It works in comics but it look silly in the Avengers movie, especially the helmet. The bright colors looked cheesy but it looked less out of place once the it got dirty. In a movie I do not think we will see bast walking around but in comics it opens up many other mythological story ideas.
    Donīt get me wrong, I LIKE the mythical aspect of BP.

I LIKE the idea of a panther god.
    In my mind, it looks somewhat smilar to Moro, the giant beast from the Miyazaki movie Princess Mononoke (only a giant talking panther instead of a giant talking wolf).

I just have a problem with it being Bast, an egyptian divinity.
    It would take 10 minutes of internet research to find a sub-saharian divinity that looks somewhat similar and extrapolate from there.
    Or MAKE one up, really.

I just got back from talking to my mom & dad.
    Look! Took me FIVE minutex.
    Well, 1 minute because the other 4 were spend with them reminiscing about Africa and joking about the differences between their dialects:

"- Mom, how do you say lion in your native language?"
    "- Phondoro." (Pronounced Pondoro)
    "Dad, what about yours?"
    "- Kalamo." (Pronounced nkalamo)

I don't really get bogged down in pointless debate but I have to say that a lot of what MykhaelKhan see's as being "gimmicks" are anything but.

Priest created a lively collection of supporting characters around T'Challa as well as solid Wakandan tech to broaden T'Challa's horizons.

I wouldn't describe any of that as being gimmicky.
    Brother Chaos Bringer

Professional TROLL killer

Awww! YoU caught my logic slug. Did it hurt your brain?

Quote Originally Posted by L_Kimbo View Post
    I'm geeked up! never got a chance to reads preist run and i won an auction on EBAY for 1-62 for 72.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whose jealous?
    I own roughly 42% of the run in physical format. So yes, I am jealous.

Finally...B. MACK has come back.....to the Panther thread!

LOL. Man I've been gone all weekend and come back to find myself five pages deep into the new thread.
    Black Panther eats pizza, we eat pizza!

I'm geeked up! never got a chance to reads preist run and i won an auction on EBAY for 1-62 for 72.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whose jealous?
    Black Panther eats pizza, we eat pizza!

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon McKinnis View Post
    Finally...B. MACK has come back.....to the Panther thread!

LOL. Man I've been gone all weekend and come back to find myself five pages deep into the new thread.
    lol your not the only i am always late, to every topic by the time i want to put in my two cents the subject is already over.

DD & BP: secret BFF's FriendRoss's Avatar

ive got 1-33

i conservatively estimate my total expenses to be around 75- 100 (cover price and shipping where applicable)

very jealous... except... hunting the things down like a scavenger hunt is kinda fun.... but not as much fun as being able to read through like you will

Quote Originally Posted by FriendRoss View Post
    ive got 1-33

i conservatively estimate my total expenses to be around 75- 100 (cover price and shipping where applicable)

very jealous... except... hunting the things down like a scavenger hunt is kinda fun.... but not as much fun as being able to read through like you will
    Unfortunately i live in a rural area which make comics collecting online only for me, i spent a good year waiting for a good deal on the web. EBAY is awesome if you've never tried finding some cheap sets on there i would chec it out. I'm currently hunting down FF #52!

DD & BP: secret BFF's FriendRoss's Avatar

i was close on f4 52…. bailed out when the bidding went over $30….. i like buying old books… but the smell really turns me off when reading them… i prefer buying old books in digital format for pennies on the dollar

i just picked this buety up on ebay though… the bidding hit $35 and i had to ask myself… if i let this go for $10.. how much am i going to regret this? ended up getting it $42 shipping included

its the staff of Bashinga that sold it

I seriously need to just buckle down and find #17 of Priest's run. It's the only issue I'm missing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kimoyo_Card.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	97608

Quote Originally Posted by Eliseu Gouveia View Post
    \

Donīt get me wrong, I LIKE the mythical aspect of BP.

I LIKE the idea of a panther god.
    In my mind, it looks somewhat smilar to Moro, the giant beast from the Miyazaki movie Princess Mononoke (only a giant talking panther instead of a giant talking wolf).

I just have a problem with it being Bast, an egyptian divinity.
    It would take 10 minutes of internet research to find a sub-saharian divinity that looks somewhat similar and extrapolate from there.
    Or MAKE one up, really.

I just got back from talking to my mom & dad.
    Look! Took me FIVE minutex.
    Well, 1 minute because the other 4 were spend with them reminiscing about Africa and joking about the differences between their dialects:

"- Mom, how do you say lion in your native language?"
    "- Phondoro." (Pronounced Pondoro)
    "Dad, what about yours?"
    "- Kalamo." (Pronounced nkalamo)
    I agree with the bold. I like the concept of the Panther God, but I don't like it being Bast of the Egyptian pantheon. There is more to Africa then just Egypt. I would have liked for the Panther God to be an ancient Wakandan deity, unrelated to any other pantheon. Maybe it can be the last of its own pantheon, with the other gods having died off or something. But just not Bast.
    "With Knowledge we built a city to rival heaven."

I am! Although, my local comic shop had most of the issues I still had to track down others.