Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Superhero Novels and Non-Fiction

I am currently reading Enemies and Allies by Kevin J. Anderson and I have the new Batman book Wayne of Gotham next on my list. Anyone else read many superhero novels or Non-Fiction books (such as Our Hero: Superman on Earth by Tom De Haven or Batman: The Complete History by Les Daniels)?

Any suggestions on titles either fiction or non-fiction?

The power of the rainbow. jade_nova's Avatar

Captain Freedom : a superhero's quest for truth, justice, and the celebrity he so richly deserves is good. It is about the superhero as a celebrity. It follows the career of a superhero from his highs and lows and his search along the way for an archenemy.
    "Here's to me and here's to you. If we should ever disagree, then here's to me and to hell with you," William O. Astle 1905-2002

"Damn you, Harlot! Science and I know what we're doing," Reed Richards

http://captain-smiley.livejournal.com/-Here be Countdown summaries.

Quote Originally Posted by jade_nova View Post
    Captain Freedom : a superhero's quest for truth, justice, and the celebrity he so richly deserves is good. It is about the superhero as a celebrity. It follows the career of a superhero from his highs and lows and his search along the way for an archenemy.
    I did a search for that book and I like it even more now. I will certainly check it out. Thanks for the heads up on it.

Prepare to Die by Paul Tobin.

You may want to check out some of the other titles on this blog post: http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2012/07/serious-comics-8/

Quote Originally Posted by BigJeff View Post
    Prepare to Die by Paul Tobin.

You may want to check out some of the other titles on this blog post: http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2012/07/serious-comics-8/
    Thanks!

I just finished reading "Enemies and Allies" by Kevin J. Anderson and I am now reading "Wayne of Gotham" by Tracy Hickman. Good books.

Supergods by Grant Morrison and The Kid Who Loved Batman by Michael Uslan - both are accused of being colossal ego trips, but that does not mean they don't deserve a look.

As for fiction, I've read a few things:

Batgirl: To Stalk a Spectre by Doug Moench - this is a tie-in to Batman and Robin, but Moench ignores the silly in favor of an interesting original story that pits the Barbara Wilson Batgirl against Black Mask.

Green Lantern:Hero's Quest by Dennis O'Neil : Denny retells Kyle Rayner's Green Lantern origin his way. I liked it.

Batman: The Doomsday Prophecy : a which way adventure that I read around the time of the 1989 film. I still like it.
    "I just want to get paid to do stupid crap."

- http://www.twitter.com/comicbookrehab

Visit my blog: http://www.comicbookrehab.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Joe no Sleep View Post
    Supergods by Grant Morrison
    I managed to make it about 40% of the way through before I happily took it back to the library. The "history" portions I'd read before a dozen times from better sources. The info about Morrison's life simply wasn't interesting. I found the book to be an utter waste of time.

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

I liked Austin Grossman's superhero novel from 2008, Soon I Will be Invincible, a lot. Offhand, I think that's the only one I've read, though I've accumulated a few others (Nobody Gets the Girl, Playing for Keeps, From the Notebooks of Dr. Brain, etc.) that I haven't yet gotten around to, having been in an almost strictly nonfiction mood for quite some while now.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

I just finished reading Wayne of Gotham byTracy Hickman. Pretty good book, but the constant switching from Batman/Bruce to Thomas Wayne (circa 1958) kind of slowed the book down. Also, the book has a section where Bruce is listening to some recordings Thomas made about Thomas having TWO sons and it was almost mentioned in passing, rather than being a major plot point (although maybe I missed something?). Does anyone know what I am missing? In Batman cannon, I thought Bruce was an only child. Maybe this was an Elseworlds novel or something.

A Once Crowded Sky

Its a book about Super-Heroes that to save the Earth have to give up their powers.

That one is on my reading list, too. It sounds like a very interesting novel.

I am currently reading Superman: The High-Flying History of America's Most Enduring Hero by Larry Tye. I just started reading it last night and I already have a few small issues with it, but overall it's not bad. I am going to continue with it.

Veteran Member

I might as well mention it since it hasn't come up yet: Robert Mayer's Superfolks, the novel that reportedly influenced Alan Moore's re-imagining of Marvelman, is well worth a read.

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

Of course, the Wild Cards series, by various noted scifi authors and usually edited by GRRMartin. It started back in the 80s, which might date the first books some, but they were great. It was on hiatus for a while in the late-90s, but restarted in 2002. The 22nd book is supposed to be coming out sometime this year.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Guardian View Post
    Of course, the Wild Cards series, by various noted scifi authors and usually edited by GRRMartin. It started back in the 80s, which might date the first books some, but they were great. It was on hiatus for a while in the late-90s, but restarted in 2002. The 22nd book is supposed to be coming out sometime this year.
    The first six or so are the best. I've also heard some good things about some of the newer installments, since Tor revised the series.

There was a long fallow patch between the two, though. The early '90s were especially dire, with writers trying to outdo each other in terms of pointlessly extreme content.
    Expletive Deleted

So the Wild Card books are short stories written by different authors featuring the same characters?