Default Smithsonian Collection of Newspaper Comics

I'd been thinking of getting this massive late-'70s collection, and by chance I found a nice copy at my library's used bookstore!

It's an incredible book, and the reason I was interested in it is obvious: classic newspaper comic reprints are quite pricey, and this book offers a mixture of having just a few sample strips to reprinting entire, big storylines! I'll certainly be a more informed consumer after finishing this monster!

...Oh, and has there been any company interested in reprinting Alley Oop? There's only 3 Sunday strips included in this book and I was quite taken with it.

Get it! I bought my copy new and I've never regretted a penny of the cost.

Cei-U!
    I summon a bargain at twice the price!
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me

Don't ask, just buy it!

You'll revel in it. Sometimes I take it down from the shelf just to look at the Gasoline alley Sunday pages.

Fantastic book that I still look at from time to time. The reprints are first rate. My Mom gave it to me when i was a teen.

Sorry if I was unclear - I did buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Angilas-Man View Post
    I'd been thinking of getting this massive late-'70s collection, and by chance I found a nice copy at my library's used bookstore!

It's an incredible book, and the reason I was interested in it is obvious: classic newspaper comic reprints are quite pricey, and this book offers a mixture of having just a few sample strips to reprinting entire, big storylines! I'll certainly be a more informed consumer after finishing this monster!

...Oh, and has there been any company interested in reprinting Alley Oop? There's only 3 Sunday strips included in this book and I was quite taken with it.
    KSP actually did 3 collections of Alley Oop. But those were done a couple of decades ago.

Another small press did a further collection.

Be nice if someone who revisit them, in light of all the other classic strip reprints.

3rd of the way through the book, thinkin' I may have to invest in that big Polly and Her Pals Sundays hardcover.

3rd of the way through the book, thinkin' I may have to invest in that big Polly and Her Pals Sundays hardcover.
    In addition to the large edition for the Sundays, the Library of American Comics is also going to start up a small oblong series of daily reprints in January, starting with the 1933 strips.

http://www.libraryofamericancomics.c.../article/2290/

Spec Productions is doing the current Alley Oop reprints.

they did a volume 4, following the KSP strips, and have an Alley Oop magazine with further reprints.

All info here: http://www.specproductions.com/alley...oop_book4.html

^Only partial panels from the Sunday strips to make the continuity work? No thanks... and on further inspection: that book came out almost ten years ago and fetches high prices! I'd really like IDW or Fantagraphics or Drawn and Quarterly to give the strip deluxe treatment.

It's a great book. My parents had a copy when I was a kid. Good way to get a large overview of early comics and maybe even a sense of the times....
    Pulling for: HATE!; League of Extraordinary Gentlemen; Doktor Sleepless; S.H.I.E.L.D.; Sergio Aragones Funnies; The Manhattan Projects; MIND MGMT; Nightcrawler

Still making my way through this monster. Gee, that Wash Tubbs storyline was pretty brutal! Didn't like those selected Captain Easy Sundays as much, but then again, those were all pulled from different storylines so you don't really get a feel for 'em.

Still making my way through this monster. Gee, that Wash Tubbs storyline was pretty brutal! Didn't like those selected Captain Easy Sundays as much, but then again, those were all pulled from different storylines so you don't really get a feel for 'em.
    Both Wash Tubbs and Captain Easy are great strips.

Wash Tubbs was a daily, Captain Easy a Sunday strip by the same guy: the great Roy Crane. Years ago NBM reprinted all the Wash Tubbs & Captain Easy in an 18 (I think) volume series. Have all but one.

Fantagraphics is reprinting all the Captain Easy Sundays in 4 volumes. 2 are out so far. A pretty fun strip. The selections in that volume don't do them justice. Hopefully when they finish they'll move on to the Wash Tubbs dailies.

Crane later left Wash Tubbs/Easy to do his own strip: Buz Sawyer. FBI is now also reprinting the daily Buz Sawyer (the sundays largely had a separate continuity, so only a few select strips are being included). The first volume is out, the second is soon to come.

Both Wash Tubbs and Captain Easy are great strips.

Wash Tubbs was a daily, Captain Easy a Sunday strip by the same guy: the great Roy Crane. Years ago NBM reprinted all the Wash Tubbs & Captain Easy in an 18 (I think) volume series. Have all but one.

Fantagraphics is reprinting all the Captain Easy Sundays in 4 volumes. 2 are out so far. A pretty fun strip. The selections in that volume don't do them justice. Hopefully when they finish they'll move on to the Wash Tubbs dailies.

Crane later left Wash Tubbs/Easy to do his own strip: Buz Sawyer. FBI is now also reprinting the daily Buz Sawyer (the sundays largely had a separate continuity, so only a few select strips are being included). The first volume is out, the second is soon to come.

Finished this epic collection! I'm thinkin' now that the strips I really want to buy book collections of are:

Krazy Kat
    Barnaby
    Mickey Mouse
    King Aroo
    Polly and Her Pals

... and the maybes:

Barney Google
    Dick Tracy
    Terry and the Pirates
    Flash Gordon
    Wash Tubbs/Captain Easy

I'm already collecting Popeye and Pogo!