Default For Sam Glanzman Fans!

I'm beginning an interview with the great Sam Glanzman and thought his fans might like to know that several brand new U.S.S. Stevens stories will begin appearing in Joe Kubert Presents (from DC Comics) in October and that his Jungle Tales of Tarzan will be appearing in a reprint volume from Dark Horse. Sam just sent in a cover for the Jungle Tales book.

I've also got a personal request. If you are interested in writing something on this forum about Sam and his over 70 years working in comics, I'd like to gather it up and present it to him. I think he'd get a kick out of it.

Hope to hear from folks & have a great day!
    Last edited by rarndt; 07-21-2012 at 11:14 AM.

Great news Richard!

Since Kubert first announced (so along ago now it seems) the appearance of new U.S.S Stevens stories in the nebulous future I was very excited indeed. It doesn't get much better for this fan that to be told that there is going to be Sam Glanzman comics showing up. October will be a sweet month. I've got some of that Tarzan material already, but it will be great to have it all collected. Any chance of a "Lonely War of Willie Schultz" collection?

Sam Glanzman to me was a guy who always seemed to occupy and command his own sphere of comics. He didn't just do comics he did Sam Glanzman comics. And that really means something.

I don't know whether it was by luck or design, but somehow Glanzman ever got away with doing his own thing. Editorial fiat either stayed clear or was plain scared of the man's authenticity. Likely it just didn't know what to do with him. I think a fellow practitioner of the art, Jack "King" Kirby himself, might have envied Glanzman for the singular vision he brought to comics and above all for the fortitude with which he towed his own line. Whether it be Stevens, Kona, Hercules, Attu (you name it) the pictures or words or both, the result was stellar work from a creator who always gave a damn and gave his best. Again like Kirby the lines he put down were never imitative, they were raw and true and came from a place of vision directly within himself. And they were lovely to behold. Furthermore, has there ever been a Glanzman comic that he didn't ink himself. That would almost seem unthinkable.

My favourite piece SG ever did? That would be "On the Job: Cooks Tour". This is a story not just by Sam Glanzman but of Sam Glanzman. When I first read it in Twomorrows publication it brought a few tears to by eyes. It's as personal work as ever from Sam, but like most of his work its so very evocative of the world we all share.

Quote Originally Posted by rarndt View Post
    I'm beginning an interview with the great Sam Glanzman and thought his fans might like to know that several brand new U.S.S. Stevens stories will begin appearing in Joe Kubert Presents (from DC Comics) in October
    I'll be there! Great news!

'U. S. S. Stevens' is one of the comics I'd show a non-fan if (s)he wanted to know what is so great about comics.

Quote Originally Posted by benday-dot View Post
    Sam Glanzman to me was a guy who always seemed to occupy and command his own sphere of comics. He didn't just do comics he did Sam Glanzman comics. And that really means something.
    Absolutely. If only all comics were like that. I was just thinking of one creator who managed it apart from all the interference by editors and publishers, when lo and behold...

I don't know whether it was by luck or design, but somehow Glanzman ever got away with doing his own thing. Editorial fiat either stayed clear or was plain scared of the man's authenticity. Likely it just didn't know what to do with him. I think a fellow practitioner of the art, Jack "King" Kirby himself, might have envied Glanzman for the singular vision he brought to comics and above all for the fortitude with which he towed his own line.
    Well said. Except Kirby did bring his singular vision; however, you are right to say that he found himself in circumstances wherein he could not tow his own line.

Whether it be Stevens, Kona, Hercules, Attu (you name it) the pictures or words or both, the result was stellar work from a creator who always gave a damn and gave his best. Again like Kirby the lines he put down were never imitative, they were raw and true and came from a place of vision directly within himself. And they were lovely to behold. Furthermore, has there ever been a Glanzman comic that he didn't ink himself. That would almost seem unthinkable.

My favourite piece SG ever did? That would be "On the Job: Cooks Tour". This is a story not just by Sam Glanzman but of Sam Glanzman. When I first read it in Twomorrows publication it brought a few tears to by eyes. It's as personal work as ever from Sam, but like most of his work its so very evocative of the world we all share.
    I'd forgotten that - I heard a rumour the other year. Where was this piece published?

Hopefully some day DC will reprint all the U.S.S. Stevens stories.

Quote Originally Posted by rarndt View Post
    I'm beginning an interview with the great Sam Glanzman and thought his fans might like to know that several brand new U.S.S. Stevens stories will begin appearing in Joe Kubert Presents (from DC Comics) in October and that his Jungle Tales of Tarzan will be appearing in a reprint volume from Dark Horse. Sam just sent in a cover for the Jungle Tales book.
    Interesting.

For those not aware, "Jungle Tales of Tarzan" was an unauthorized comic done by Charlton Comics that ran 4 issues. They thought the stories they were adapting were in the public domain. Not so, and they got in trouble. So interesting that DH is reprinting them, but understandable considering their reprints of Kubert and Marsh Tarzan, and the upcoming Manning reprints.

Quote Originally Posted by T GUy View Post

I'd forgotten that - I heard a rumour the other year. Where was this piece published?
    It was first (and perhaps only published in) Tomorrows' "Streetwise" anthology magazine from some years back. It featured autobiographical takes on creator's lives in comic form. The book is mostly known for its inclusion of the amazing Kirby story "Streetcode", which first appeared in Argosy .

"Streetwise" is awesome and well worth it to track down.

Quote Originally Posted by benday-dot View Post
    It was first (and perhaps only published in) Tomorrows' "Streetwise" anthology magazine from some years back. It featured autobiographical takes on creator's lives in comic form. The book is mostly known for its inclusion of the amazing Kirby story "Streetcode", which first appeared in Argosy .

"Streetwise" is awesome and well worth it to track down.
    Thank you, Ben. Off to ebaY for me...

Quote Originally Posted by T GUy View Post
    Thank you, Ben. Off to ebaY for me...
    You can buy it direct from the publisher, too http://twomorrows.com/index.php?main...o=&dfrom=&dto=

but maybe it's cheaper on ebay.
    Landis: You Cherokee Jack?
    Cherokee Jack: Yah. Ah'm Cherokee Jack.