Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 55
  1. #1
    Star Blazer Will.S's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    21,912

    Default Extremis vs Bleeding Edge: Which Iron Man armor do you prefer?

    Personally, I'm still undecided.

    On one hand the Extremis armor gave Tony a lot of advantages like tech jacking, a kind of healing factor, and an overall sleek and visually appealing armor compared to his previous armors (collage comic images taken from Newsarama):





    On the other hand, his overall power level had eclipsed pretty much his entire rogues gallery and only a select few super-villains really gave him any sort of challenge. Still, it's amongst Tony's most iconic suits in comics given that his character really blew up during Civil War with this armor and in Iron Man 2 we saw a very close approximation to this with the Mark 6:


  2. #2
    Star Blazer Will.S's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    21,912

    Default

    Then there's the Bleeding Edge armor:





    The armor system has become even more compact, can be manipulated to form different weapons, has 360 degree cameras, and as show recently non-susceptible to Magneto's powers. However it doesn't have the same abilities as the Extremis armor in being able to tech jack and the healing factor so it's become a bit less of a hurdle for tech villains like Crimson Dynamo and Ghost to overcome. Visually it looks even more streamlined but a little too busy as well so it's become something of a nightmare for artists/colorists to keep consistent.

    Interestingly the Iron Man 3 movie seems to be mixing Extremis with Bleeding Edge with the capabilities of the armor and the visual look of it despite it looking more gold:


  3. #3
    BAMF!!!!! KurtW95's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    14,606

    Default

    I'm not really into the "armor under the skin" thing.
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

  4. #4
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    28,428

    Default

    I'm not a fan of either one. I guess I just don't care for the idea of Tony's armor being a "part" of him. It made his armor into a power, and part of Tony's appeal was that he was a guy in a powerful suit, not a superpowered hero. I felt it made his battles a little more interesting, as the stakes were higher and he was more susceptible to danger when he was shielded by his armor rather than when the armor was a part of his body.

    I'd just rather he go back to wearing a suit rather than the suit being a biological part of his body.

  5. #5
    Star Blazer Will.S's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    21,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I'm not really into the "armor under the skin" thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by RDMacQ View Post
    I'm not a fan of either one. I guess I just don't care for the idea of Tony's armor being a "part" of him. It made his armor into a power, and part of Tony's appeal was that he was a guy in a powerful suit, not a superpowered hero. I felt it made his battles a little more interesting, as the stakes were higher and he was more susceptible to danger when he was shielded by his armor rather than when the armor was a part of his body.

    I'd just rather he go back to wearing a suit rather than the suit being a biological part of his body.
    I understand that point of view but I see it more as the next evolutionary step given that the tech of his armors have outpaced his ability to interface with them so he evolves himself into a "post-human".

    It's all still under his own intelligence and designs so it doesn't really detract from his intelligence or his "self made man" appeal although I can see why people have problems with him not wearing the armor like regular armor since it removes some of his limitations.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,046

    Default

    I think the Extremis armor looks better.

    I don't like all the little lights on the armor on the new one.

  7. #7
    Splendiferous Spider Hero ImmortalIronFist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    3,718

    Default

    Big fan of the Bleeding Edge armor...but I think the movie one has way too much gold.
    Hey, that tiger is flying a spaceship.

  8. #8
    rich hypocrites Exo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,593

    Default

    Don't mind the bleeding edge, but none of the artists I've seen have been able to capture the original concept-art. Is it really that difficult to draw skin-tight armor?
    [Level 1 antagonism]
    Homer: Ned Flanders, I mock your value system. You also appear foolish to the eyes of others.
    Ned: Well howdy, Homer! Thanks for dropping by!
    [Level 2 antagonism]
    Homer: Past instances in which I professed to like you, were fraudulent.
    Ned: Oh well. I'll just have to try harder. Thanks for dropping by!
    [Maximum hostility factor]
    Homer: I engaged in intercourse with your spouse or significant other. Now that's psychiatry!

  9. #9

    Default

    I prefer Extremis over bleeding edge. I think it is the natural progression of the character to have his armor integrated with his body and whatnot. I really don't like that movie armor though.

  10. #10
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    28,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Will.S View Post
    I understand that point of view but I see it more as the next evolutionary step given that the tech of his armors have outpaced his ability to interface with them so he evolves himself into a "post-human".
    But that's the thing- I never really got that "human evolution" was an underlying theme with Iron Man. It was about man interfacing with technology. The armor wasn't mean to upgrade Tony- it was meant as a life support device. It was the ultimate irony- the thing that made him strong also kept him alive, and if it failed he would die as well.

    That's an aspect I felt the movie captured very well. Yes, Tony is extremely powerful with his armor. However, the thing that charges the armor also keeps him alive. It makes the stakes higher when he is risking death to do the right thing.

    It's all still under his own intelligence and designs so it doesn't really detract from his intelligence or his "self made man" appeal although I can see why people have problems with him not wearing the armor like regular armor since it removes some of his limitations.
    That's exactly it. It's basically that he's programming his own superpowers into his body. He can be as strong as he needs to be, and I think that takes something away from him as a character.

  11. #11
    Star Blazer Will.S's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    21,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Exo View Post
    Don't mind the bleeding edge, but none of the artists I've seen have been able to capture the original concept-art. Is it really that difficult to draw skin-tight armor?
    I think Larroca, Coipel, Immonen, and Kubert have done a good job in that aspect.

    Romita Jr. usually tends to have a problem with the newer armors though since his bulkier style of art clashes with the super clean and curvy look of the current armor.

  12. #12
    Veteran Member Nomads1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro/Brazil
    Posts
    7,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RDMacQ View Post
    I'm not a fan of either one. I guess I just don't care for the idea of Tony's armor being a "part" of him. It made his armor into a power, and part of Tony's appeal was that he was a guy in a powerful suit, not a superpowered hero. I felt it made his battles a little more interesting, as the stakes were higher and he was more susceptible to danger when he was shielded by his armor rather than when the armor was a part of his body.

    I'd just rather he go back to wearing a suit rather than the suit being a biological part of his body.
    Couldn't have said it better. Also, I think, recently, writers have been way too focussed on how awsome the way Tony links with the armour is, that they seem to have forgotten all the cool gadgets that Tony was always inventing. His armor now, seemst too much only flight, computers, repulsors and explosives (missels, charges, whatever). Even his muscle doesn't seem as impresive as it once was. Tony used to trade punches with guys like Nefaria, Graviton and Korvac. What happened with things like his uni-beam, pulse bolts, sonic emitters, etc...
    Read the Michelinie, the Kaminski or the Busiek runs. I found Iron Man so much more... Fantastic (and invincible) than nowadays. Plus, while maybe not "realistic" looking, the skin tight armours sue were cooler. IMHO, of course.

    Peace

  13. #13
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    28,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Couldn't have said it better. Also, I think, recently, writers have been way too focussed on how awsome the way Tony links with the armour is, that they seem to have forgotten all the cool gadgets that Tony was always inventing. His armor now, seemst too much only flight, computers, repulsors and explosives (missels, charges, whatever). Even his muscle doesn't seem as impresive as it once was. Tony used to trade punches with guys like Nefaria, Graviton and Korvac. What happened with things like his uni-beam, pulse bolts, sonic emitters, etc...
    Read the Michelinie, the Kaminski or the Busiek runs. I found Iron Man so much more... Fantastic (and invincible) than nowadays. Plus, while maybe not "realistic" looking, the skin tight armours sue were cooler. IMHO, of course.

    Peace
    I kind of feel the same way. For all the new things these armors are "supposed" to do, it feels little more than just superficial changes. He's got a few new tricks, but nothing to really distinguish these suits from his previous models. He just kind of ends up doing the same thing, which is just blasting or punching his opponents into defeat. I mean, for all the hype up of Tony's Extremis armor, how does he defeat the bad guy who he upgraded specifically to defeat? He blows his head off with his chest beam. So, how exactly could he NOT do that with his old armor if THAT was the way he was going to beat him?

    At least when he used to change armor years ago, there was an attempt to differentiate between the models to a significant degree. The change from classic to red and silver back to an updated version of the red and gold really did feel like a progression. Mostly because it was a visual one that helped distinguish the suits.

    Now it's just red and gold, and you really can't tell the suits are any different just by looking at them. "Bleeding Edge" is kind of a good name for it, since they all just sort of bleed together at some point.

  14. #14
    IMPERIUS REX!!! Rheged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Atlantean Embassy
    Posts
    16,521

    Default

    Based on nothing more than the visuals, Extremis is much better. Bleeding Edge looks like a Christmas tree.

  15. #15
    Rising User manymade1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Fort Washington, MD
    Posts
    967

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Will.S View Post
    Then there's the Bleeding Edge armor:






    Interestingly the Iron Man 3 movie seems to be mixing Extremis with Bleeding Edge with the capabilities of the armor and the visual look of it despite it looking more gold:

    To be honest I don't see the similarities between the Bleeding Edge and IM3 armor. Can someone explain?
    Be of service to all Comic Book readers and sign: http://www.petitionspot.com/petition...tBlackPanther/

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •