Default Doctor Who/ Star Trek #3

Yeah... so as big a fan as I am of Star Trek and Doctor Who I have to say I'm dropping this.

It's just all around bad. I slogged through the first two issues hoping it would get better and it just doesn't seem to be. The art is still wooden, the plot stilted and poorly paced and there is zero drama or tension.

I love both properties a whole lot and I've been waiting for this crossover for nearly my whole life but no amount of love will make me sit through a bad comic. I didn't even finish this issue to be honest, I stopped reading three quarters of the way through before saying to myself, " Why am I doing this? Reading a comic shouldn't be a chore." And when ever I reach that point I know it's time to stop.

I really just don't get how they could make this concept so boring. If you had told me a year ago that there would be a crossover between Who and Star Trek but I wouldn't want to read it I would have thought you were crazy. IDW does a pretty solid job on the Doctor Who comics and though I haven't cared for the new Star Trek ongoing their past Trek books were pretty good so you'd think they would have been able to handle this pretty well...but some how its just managed to get away from them, which is a real shame.

I'm quite enjoying it to be honest. It's even made me rediscover Star Trek The Next Generation on TV, which I haven't seen in years.

I like the art, I can see it being a real episode on TV due to it, so no complaints from me on that score.

It's been a slow build up but then again, every crossover I've read that's this long (8 issues I believe) has had a similar build up, so again nothing that concerns me. If it was 4 issues long I'd be very very concerned but it's not, it has room to breath.

As for this issue, I though the flashback and art change was well done - it was nice, albeit briefly, to see the fourth Doctor helping out Kirk and co. As for the Borg/Cybermen alliance, I'd like to know which species is the dominant one. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's mostly the Cybermen.
    EEEEEEEEEEE! YOU DONT DARE MOCK ME! YOU DONT DARE! EEEEEEEEEEE!

So far, I think I'm with Tik. I haven't read #3 yet; actually, I just finished #2. And the most negative thing I can say so far is that it's progressing pretty slowly; #1 was almost entirely a Doctor story and #2 almost entirely a TNG story. But I thought the dialogue was pretty much right on. I'll let you know what I think of #3, but I'm looking forward to seeing the 4th Doctor interact with TOS crew.
    Jim Zimmerman
    Co-moderator, CBR Batman Forum

I dropped it after issue 2 when I realized the writing engaged so little of my attention that I still don't know what the first two issues are about. The art fails to draw the eye, and there is too little activity to really be communicated well through art. It's mostly just people looking at each other with word balloons scattered around. Whatever is in the word balloons just seems to drag the whole thing even further down.

Very disappointed in this effort.
    In my opinion is implied in every post. Please make an effort to remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I dropped it after issue 2 when I realized the writing engaged so little of my attention that I still don't know what the first two issues are about. The art fails to draw the eye, and there is too little activity to really be communicated well through art. It's mostly just people looking at each other with word balloons scattered around. Whatever is in the word balloons just seems to drag the whole thing even further down.

Very disappointed in this effort.
    Yep. I've stuck it with it so far, but I'm not sure I'm gonna pick this up next month. The writing is painfully generic, and the artwork sucks what little life is left out of the story. With a concept like this, you think it'd be harder to make it not work.. but somehow, this book has managed it.

"The Tardis, when working properly, is capable of many amazing things. Not unlike myself."

Dropped it after issue #1. The art's not bad, but it's not working for me, and I really can't justify spending money on something I'm not entirely happy with.
    Always remember this stuff isn't real.

...and then there were 6...
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Hmm seems to have mixed reviews, TBH when I saw the Kirk, Spock & Tom Baker cover my eyes just about popped outa my head I was so excited! and I love the cover with Amy, Rory and Worf with phasers in their hands

Has anyone read issues 1-8? Is that the entire story arc? I'm really thinking about grabbing the TPB but it only collects the 1st 5 issues I need to know yay or nay because I don't wanna waste cash if its not a good read.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Ood Omega View Post
    Hmm seems to have mixed reviews, TBH when I saw the Kirk, Spock & Tom Baker cover my eyes just about popped outa my head I was so excited! and I love the cover with Amy, Rory and Worf with phasers in their hands

Has anyone read issues 1-8? Is that the entire story arc? I'm really thinking about grabbing the TPB but it only collects the 1st 5 issues I need to know yay or nay because I don't wanna waste cash if its not a good read.
    I read it and liked it.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...