Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CGI Cartoons

Omnidisciplinary Nerd

Default CGI Cartoons

there have been a lot of CGI cartoons lately, so i decided to make this thread

who here likes them and who dislikes them. amongst the CGI cartoons currently out, which ones do you like?

3D Animation Student. It's just as legitimate as traditional animation and the Principals are 100% identical so I don't really get the hate that some people show for it.

Current running 3d Animated shows? Have not really been keeping up with many shows but none of them are 3D. Tron: Legacy looks excellent and I think they make excellent use of Toon Shaders but have not watched a full episode yet. Green Lantern suffers from using the Bruce Timm style IMHO, the style was meant to be traditionally animated quite easily but when applied to rigged 3D models it just comes off as lazy sometimes.

Honestly the only shows I've been following recently have been Korra and Adventure Time. Both primarily use Classical hand drawn animation but use 3D to great effect sometimes.

Tron is really good, the computer animation really fits the story well.

I also enjoy the Starwars cartoon, it's heavily stylized but the stories are really fun.

I am really enjoying Tron: Uprising. Firstly because the writing team has done some really solid stories. Secondly because the design style they chose fits in well with BOTH Tron movies and yet still remains fresh.

The first CGI show I really enjoyed was Beast Wars. I had avoided Reboot at first because I didn't like the CGI, but after watching Mainframe's work on Beast Wars, I decided to give Reboot a show and was glad I did. Mainframe's next CGI show, Shadow Raiders (also known as War Planets) was really, really great too. These are my favorite CGI shows.

I'm also a fan of much of Pixar's work. The Incredibles still remains one of my favorite super hero movies.

I view CGI the same way I view all other types of shows and movies. It's a tool to tell a story. If the story is good though, I might ignore effects or animation styles I do not like. For example, Transformers Animated had those wretched large chins for their characters, but the series provides some of the best characters and stories in Transformers long history, so I learned to live with it.

Of current CGI shows, I am watching Transformers Prime, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, and Green Lantern. None of these shows really rank that high with me though, as the writing is average fare on Prime and Lantern with some occasional wow moments, and wildly inconsistent on Clone War between really good stories (Anakin showing dark side tendencies) to really, really, really bad (Padme, I'm looking at you. Please stop talking).

Omnidisciplinary Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Basara View Post
    The first CGI show I really enjoyed was Beast Wars. I had avoided Reboot at first because I didn't like the CGI, but after watching Mainframe's work on Beast Wars, I decided to give Reboot a show and was glad I did. Mainframe's next CGI show, Shadow Raiders (also known as War Planets) was really, really great too. These are my favorite CGI shows.

I'm also a fan of much of Pixar's work. The Incredibles still remains one of my favorite super hero movies.

I view CGI the same way I view all other types of shows and movies. It's a tool to tell a story. If the story is good though, I might ignore effects or animation styles I do not like. For example, Transformers Animated had those wretched large chins for their characters, but the series provides some of the best characters and stories in Transformers long history, so I learned to live with it.

Of current CGI shows, I am watching Transformers Prime, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, and Green Lantern. None of these shows really rank that high with me though, as the writing is average fare on Prime and Lantern with some occasional wow moments, and wildly inconsistent on Clone War between really good stories (Anakin showing dark side tendencies) to really, really, really bad (Padme, I'm looking at you. Please stop talking).
    i'd recomend Iron man Armored adventures and code lyoko

The Penguins Nick Toon has some pretty smooth cgi going for it. Clone Wars,and GL look good but I can still see the computer motion stiffness in it. The Tron dosen't do me any big wows.

I really like Tron Uprising. I think its a very interesting, and well crafted series with killer soundtrack and visuals. And I like that the people behind the series are exploring the potential for the different characters while keeping sight of the hero episode to episode.

Omnidisciplinary Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by zryson View Post
    I really like Tron Uprising. I think its a very interesting, and well crafted series with killer soundtrack and visuals. And I like that the people behind the series are exploring the potential for the different characters while keeping sight of the hero episode to episode.
    i like the series as well, though i think they moved the night it's on

I don't dislike anything just because it's CGI. At least not anymore, the last two shows I thought would be bad due to CGI were Iron Man and Green Lantern and they both turned out to be really good.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

Gallifrey endures. blackphoenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1505627 View Post
    i'd recomend Iron man Armored adventures and code lyoko
    I liked Code Lyoko, but did they ever resolve just what the heck was going on in that? Who or what was Zanna? Did the entire series take place inside a computer world (that was always my theory as to how the kids could rewind time and all in their lab).

Beast Wars, Beast Machines, and Reboot have been my favorites, and I am enjoyed Green Lantern's first season. CGI shows I don't like: Voltron the 3rd Dimension (horrible CGI, bad writing, second season "station wagon" Voltron lions), Iron Man (it's OK, but I only watch when I stumble across it. And I hate Pepper), and Star Wars Clone Wars (just not a fan).
    Thus do I write the first chapter of my new scripture. And the first verse is "Let it all burn."

PHOENIX INVICTUS!

Omnidisciplinary Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by blackphoenix View Post
    I liked Code Lyoko, but did they ever resolve just what the heck was going on in that? Who or what was Zanna? Did the entire series take place inside a computer world (that was always my theory as to how the kids could rewind time and all in their lab).

Beast Wars, Beast Machines, and Reboot have been my favorites, and I am enjoyed Green Lantern's first season. CGI shows I don't like: Voltron the 3rd Dimension (horrible CGI, bad writing, second season "station wagon" Voltron lions), Iron Man (it's OK, but I only watch when I stumble across it. And I hate Pepper), and Star Wars Clone Wars (just not a fan).
    they did but the last few episodes weren't brought over from france so americans got gypped

Beast Wars and Transformers Prime are the main reason I like CGI cartoons.

I've yet to see any professional animation that does it better than Monty Oum's Dead Fantasy or Red vs Blue.
    virtue untested is innocence.
    When you choose the lesser of two evils, always remember it is still an evil.

"Transformers Prime", "Green Lantern: The Animated Series" and "Star Wars: The Clone Wars".