True heavyweight wrassler Jeremy A. Patterson's Avatar

Post Worst Hairstyles In Comic Book History!

We see Carol Danvers' first appearance as Captain Marvel this week!

Many fans were shocked to see her change her hair from the long, flowing mane to a MOHAWK!

What other hairstyles do you think are TERRIBLE?

Jeremy Aron Patterson.

During Joe Quesada's run on Iron Man, right after the Sons of Yinsen story, Tony had this horrible hairstyle with the sides of his head shaved, and a big floppy mass of hair on top. It was drawn by Alitha Martinez, IIRC, and ignored by most other artists. Tony also had an awful perm during the Armor Wars, which lasted longer due to the pedigree of the creative team, if not the actual quality of the hairstyle.

Also, I think no Awful Hairstyle Thread should go without the following fashion crimes;

-- Superman's Mullet
    -- Ozymandias' floppy-sided-thing
    -- Whatever the hell that black stripe across Crystal of the Inhumans' sides is
    -- Ultimate Namor's up-pointing Kewpie haircut
    -- Nightcrawler's buzz-cut and goatee during Warren Ellis' Excalibur run
    -- Colossus' pony-tail during Chris Claremont's 2000 return (seriously, how can he even have a pony tail when the rest of his hair fuses solid?)
    -- Monica Rambeau's perfectly smooth mushroom hair
    -- Wolverine's full-on hair-antlers drawn by John Buscema (he's a legendary artist and dearly missed, but when he drew Wolverine, he almost looked like Seymour from Final Fantasy XIII)
    -- That puffy dandelion thing adorning 1 in 3 Liefeld characters

True heavyweight wrassler Jeremy A. Patterson's Avatar

Exclamation

That was a crazy batch of looks!

Jeremy.

Oh, I gots even more crazy hairdos!

-- Rachel Summers' she-mullet in Excalibur
    -- New X-Men Wolverine's slicked-back hair with two stray antlers, courtesy of Frank Quitely
    -- Archangel's buzzcut-and-goatee combo a la Fred Durst in Joe Casey and Ian Churchill's abortive Uncanny X-Men run
    -- Cyclops' Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible look during Eve of Destruction
    -- Ultimate Beast's ponytail (you're already covered in blue fur, why do you need the extra on top?)
    -- Ultimate Sabretooth's buzzcut and monocle in Ultimate X

^What is it with the X-Men and bad hair (says the guy with the Rachel Summers avatar)? Just check out Polaris in the late 80s.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polaris21.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	103757

Maybe it's not that clear, but what's going on here is that she has the hair on the top of her head fanning out kind of like Wolverine, but then she has a mullet going over her shoulders. Rogue had much the same do, as did Lorna's sister Zaladane. I mean, I know it was the 80s, but who even looked like that?

Of course, it was also around that time that Tony Stark sported a mullet, and Jim Rhodes had a jheri curl. Anyone reading Iron Man suddenly hear the Miami Vice tune in their heads?

Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    ^What is it with the X-Men and bad hair (says the guy with the Rachel Summers avatar)? Just check out Polaris in the late 80s.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polaris21.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	103757

Maybe it's not that clear, but what's going on here is that she has the hair on the top of her head fanning out kind of like Wolverine, but then she has a mullet going over her shoulders. Rogue had much the same do, as did Lorna's sister Zaladane. I mean, I know it was the 80s, but who even looked like that?
    This image was from the point when Polaris' magnetic powers had receded in favor of super-strength, causing her to grow a foot and a half and develop an Amazonian build. And right after she'd become freed from Malice, who used her body to get that strange palm tree hairdo. It was also when Moira MacTaggert was starting to become more of a vicious warrior-woman, to the point where it was speculated that she was under mind-control (IIRC, this was at least partially true).

The further Claremont went into his X-Men run, the more he delved into themes of body modification and external body control. Things like the aforementioned examples, as well as Psylocke switching bodies with a Japanese woman, Rogue literally channeling the persona of Carol Danvers, Callisto's arms turned into tentacles, Storm's body being regressed to a twelve-year-old state, etc. Was this meant to convey the instability/fluidity of the mutant identity, or just work out some of the author's...personal tastes? In any event, it proved strangely compelling.

Storm from the X-men and her Mohawks. She must REALLY like the 'walked off a bad future punk sci-fi movie' look. Or she keeps going to Wolverine's hair stylist.
    "When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

- C.S. Lewis

Dory St. Johns on Wikicadia

Bald Hulk

Guy Gardner's Bowl Cut

New 52 Jimmy Olsen as Justin Bieber
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

Hawkeye's Crop Cut (to match the movie version)

New 52 Riddler's Question Mark Mohawk

Nightcrawler's Nonsensical Buzz Cut and Goatee
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

Uncle Scrooge's sideburns
    Bart Simpson's spiky hair
    A N I M E

Quote Originally Posted by stelok View Post
    Uncle Scrooge's sideburns
    Bart Simpson's spiky hair
    Not sure those count, because they're so iconic. This thread seems to be mocking the makeovers that tried, and failed, to impress.

Now, if Bart started doing a Justin Beiber haircut like Jimmy Olsen...brrr...