Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Captain Marvel? DC or Marvel Character?

Captain Marvel? DC or Marvel Character?

Who does he belong to?

The original character that was called Captain Marvel was published by Fawcett Comics back in the 1940's.

DC sued Fawcett, saying the Big Red Cheese was really a direct copy of Superman, and the court case dragged on forever.
    In the end, Fawcett stopped publishing that character, and DC eventually got the rights to him. They even re-introduced him back in the early 1970's.

IN THE MEANTIME, Marvel Comics introduced a character named Captain Marvel during the 1960's, when nobody was using the name. Marvel has since retained the NAME "Captain Marvel" and used it for multiple characters.

DC still has the original character once called Captain Marvel, but couldn't use that name for any licensing, so they now call that guy "Shazam!"
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 07-18-2012 at 11:53 AM.
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mg2prime View Post
    Captain Marvel? DC or Marvel Character?

Who does he belong to?
    which one?

There is the DC Captain Marvel which was created by Fawcett Comics in 1940. This one was later bought by DC comics and is currently the one in the back of your justice league books.

Then there is Marvel's Captain Marvel. Mar-vell was created in 1967 by stan lee and gene colan.

However DC sued Fawcett over the copyrights in regards to Captain Marvel, alleging that Captain Marvel was a copy of Superman. They would then stop publishing it and ultimately sell to DC. During that time Marvel gained the rights to the name. As such DC has had to publish their captain marvel under the shazam name.

To retain their trademark, Marvel has had to publish a Captain Marvel title every year or two since.

So technically the name is Marvel Comics.... but Billy is clearly a DC property.

BANNED

The Captain Marvel everyone cares about is a DC character, the other one was created by Marvel Comics and the name has been used by half a dozen different people, latest of which is the former Ms. Marvel (the only really good one) who has now taken the name and is now Marvel's sole female-headed book.

Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    The Captain Marvel everyone cares about is a DC character, the other one was created by Marvel Comics and the name has been used by half a dozen different people, latest of which is the former Ms. Marvel (the only really good one) who has now taken the name and is now Marvel's sole female-headed book.
    I enjoyed the old death of Captain Marvel story.

BANNED

Actually, quite a lot of us cared about Marvels Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell), and indeed about some of his successors. I much preferred Mar-Vell to Billy, in fact, though I did like Billy a lot in his original form.

Incidentally, does anyone else remember the MF Enterprises Captain Marvel?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tony ingram View Post
    Actually, quite a lot of us cared about Marvels Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell), and indeed about some of his successors. I much preferred Mar-Vell to Billy, in fact, though I did like Billy a lot in his original form.
    That may be, but Mar-Vell and his extended family has never approached the sales figures Billy and his family once boasted (500.000 copies of WHIZ Comics #2 where he debued was sold)

Quote Originally Posted by ShaggyB View Post
    I enjoyed the old death of Captain Marvel story.
    Which is really underlining the problem with the character, his best known story is his death.

BANNED

What? Death of Captain Marvel is a brilliant story and *shock horror* probably the only meaningful superhero death in comic book history. He was a great character and the story of him being a Kree spy on recon to find weaknesses in humanity for his race to exploit, but then found himself growing to love humanity and eventually fighting for humanity against his own race is very good and a classic story. Maybe you should read it one time instead of making ignorant assumptions.

Ms Marvel is nothing compared to Mar-Vell.
    Last edited by Lord Bravery; 07-18-2012 at 03:01 PM.

That may be, but Mar-Vell and his extended family has never approached the sales figures Billy and his family once boasted (500.000 copies of WHIZ Comics #2 where he debued was sold)
    To be fair, no Captain Marvel comic, Marvel or DC, has approached that level of sales since the 1940s. Very few comics have in general. Jim Starlin's work with the character is the most notable work on any character named CM in the past 40 years, and that was with Marvel's original CM.

I like both Marvel's and DC's Captain Marvels. My favorite would be Monica Rambeau, Marvel's Captain Marvel II, but I do have a soft spot for the Big Red Cheese.

I liked Jim Starin's run on Mar-Vell and whenever I read THE LIFE OF CAPT. MARVEL I would refer to him only as Mar-Vell! There's only one REAL Captain Marvel in my eyes. I was thinking about buying the new Ms.Marvel book but decided against it and will instead re-read my beat up copies of her original series! I will NEVER buy any Marvel comic that has the CAPTAIN MARVEL name in the logo. It may take a while but time is on DC's side. Marvel has a nasty habit of shooting itself in the foot business-wise so it's almost inevitable that DC will enventually buy them and the name will be theirs anyway! MWAA-HA-HA-HA-HAAAAA
    FAV Comics: Lil' ABNER, DICK TRACY, BATMAN, UNCLE SCROOGE, KAMUI, TOMB OF DRACULA, THE MIGHTY THOR by LEE\KIRBY, WONDER WOMAN by PEREZ\KAREN BERGER, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1-206 and EC COMICS!

Nah, the Genis-Velle Captain Marvel by Peter David was really great comics. I enjoyed reading that series more than any other comic featuring a character using that name from either company.
    Writers before artists.
    Artists before concepts.
    Concepts before characters.

Its both! At least in my head

Personally I Always thought "Shazam" was a stupid name. thats his catchphrase, not his name. That'd be like naming the Thing "Clobbering Time".
    Steve Rogers: You ready to follow Captain America into the jaws of death?
    James Barnes: Hell, no! The little guy from Brooklyn who was too dumb not to run away from a fight. I'm following him."

I may be wrong here but I think this is a moot point. Captain marvel no longer exists in dc comics.

I read an article where it stated to avoid confusion, they're just calling him shazzam now. A lot of people just refer to m as shazzam anyway. Albeit it's mostly the uneducated population of comic books. But yeah.

I think it'll be silly every time he says his name he's gunna transform into a little kid. How's he supposed to introduce himself to people now? Hold up a sign?

Quote Originally Posted by T.M. Anthony View Post
    Personally I Always thought "Shazam" was a stupid name. thats his catchphrase, not his name. That'd be like naming the Thing "Clobbering Time".
    I would totally read the on-going adventures of a dude called Clobbering Time.
    Kyle Reads Alpha Flight - A distinctly Canadian look at comics' premiere team of Canadian superheroes. Also: swearing and dick jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph_Kerr View Post
    I may be wrong here but I think this is a moot point. Captain marvel no longer exists in dc comics.

I read an article where it stated to avoid confusion, they're just calling him shazzam now. A lot of people just refer to m as shazzam anyway. Albeit it's mostly the uneducated population of comic books. But yeah.

I think it'll be silly every time he says his name he's gunna transform into a little kid. How's he supposed to introduce himself to people now? Hold up a sign?
    What would he be called in the comic book based on the Young Justice cartoon?

As for that bit where "it'll be silly every time he says his name he's gunna transform into a little kid. How's he supposed to introduce himself to people now?", well, it is annoying, and may possibly turn in to a bad joke, but it's not exactly a new problem for the Marvel Family.

Every time Jr. would want to say his name, he'd have to stop unless he wanted to change back to Freddy.
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.