Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Not all of us get "adrenaline rush" from a bunch of pictures.
    That's unfortunate too. I take it you're not an Aquarius?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    Batman's only 29? Wow. I thought everyone was in their early thirties. Not that i dont like them young, but batman does feel old, having 100 robins and all that.

I dunno she's too young. Have her at 25 or something.
    During the Messner-Loebs run it was revealed that Diana came to Man's World at the age of 19; just one year older than in the new 52.
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Oscar Wilde

I was going to say that Apollo seems to have studied Bruce Lee's Tao of Jeet Kun Do but then realised He is the God of philosophy and The Way of the intercepting Fist is more of a philosophy then a style of fighting so ofcourse he would know it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    I was going to say that Apollo seems to have studied Bruce Lee's Tao of Jeet Kun Do but then realised He is the God of philosophy and The Way of the intercepting Fist is more of a philosophy then a style of fighting so ofcourse he would know it.

Welcome to the Future. HeroxMatt2.0's Avatar

Not so much to say on the art, which I like, but the DIALOGUE! It's fun and smart the way that Azzarello uses words and their dual meanings to convey the scene. It's puns, but without the humour - more so with subtext. I know there's the criticism that there isn't narration boxes, or anything, but with the dialogue being such a great propellant for the story and to shift scenes, I really like it.
    You are an apocalypse dreaming of butterflies
    and
    we are a patchwork of miracles.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Impact View Post
    Man please, these are comic books. Without visually stimulating splashy fight scenes providing a vicarious adrenaline rush you may as well be reading a novel. Comics are supposed to be big, bawdy, colorful and larger than life. I can get the pathos you're talking about by watching CNN for free.
    I guess you've never read a George R.R. Martin novel.
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Oscar Wilde

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HeroxMatt2.0 View Post
    Not so much to say on the art, which I like, but the DIALOGUE! It's fun and smart the way that Azzarello uses words and their dual meanings to convey the scene. It's puns, but without the humour - more so with subtext. I know there's the criticism that there isn't narration boxes, or anything, but with the dialogue being such a great propellant for the story and to shift scenes, I really like it.
    What I find most impressive is that he executes this style while still giving everyone their own voice.

Welcome to the Future. HeroxMatt2.0's Avatar

That's very true. Especially in a series with as many characters as this, between the villains, secondary characters and main protagonists, there's a lot of "voices" to cover. My favourites so far are Eros, Apollo and Moon wasn't too bad, either.
    You are an apocalypse dreaming of butterflies
    and
    we are a patchwork of miracles.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    I guess you've never read a George R.R. Martin novel.
    No, I can't say that I have. I will grant you that one can get as much action from a novel as from a comic book. However comics have pictures so they should be visually appealing.

That's something else I hate about Chiang's art, the settings are so ugly. Themyscira should be lush, tropical and above all beautiful and his is not. There was nothing about it that looked remotely like Paradise.

In this day and age are there really towns in Virginia with dirt roads in a business district like it's a Clint Eastwood spaghetti western? I don't think so. It would also help a lot if charcoal gray, drab olive green, murky purple and endless shades of brown weren't the go to colors of choice. But what I hate most is how everything looks so depressing, decrepit and rural.

I feel like I'm watching "Gunsmoke" and Hera is Miss Kitty.
    Last edited by Maximum Impact; 07-19-2012 at 02:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HeroxMatt2.0 View Post
    Start reading 100 Bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    During the Messner-Loebs run it was revealed that Diana came to Man's World at the age of 19; just one year older than in the new 52.
    The point is that the average superhero is in his late 20ies. Superman, Aquaman, Batman, etc. It's a bit weird that WW is only 23. I'm just saying it would feel better to me if she was closer to them, like 25 so retroactively that would make her 20 when she came to man's world, since that happened 5 years ago and all.

But it's ok, it's no big deal.

No, I can't say that I have. I will grant you that one can get as much action from a novel as from a comic book. However comics have pictures so they should be visually appealing.

That's something else I hate about Chiang's art, the settings are so ugly. Themyscira should be lush, tropical and above all beautiful and his is not. There was nothing about it that looked remotely like Paradise.

In this day and age are there really towns in Virginia with dirt roads in a business district like it's a Clint Eastwood spaghetti western? I don't think so. It would also help a lot if charcoal gray, drab olive green, murky purple and endless shades of brown weren't the go to colors of choice. But what I hate most is how everything looks so depressing, decrepit and rural.

I feel like I'm watching "Gunsmoke" and Hera is Miss Kitty.
    Just like with the Amazons, i think Themiscyra is more realistic and gritty intentionally. As such, i thought it was great the way it looked. As for Virginia, well Azz chose a hick town, what could Chiang do? Draw it like Paris?

Chiang's art is stiff and unremarkable and it doesn't have a logical flow. I had to stare at Hermes' arm to figure out what was going on with Artemis' crescents and it still wasn't very clear. Speaking of clarity what was Artemis' collar supposed to made out of? It wasn't fur, was it mohair?

All I'm saying is in this medium you have to strike a balance. Other comics do it effortlessly. The Shade gives you highbrow wit and literary pretension combined with bombastic action and you close the book feeling that you've had a full meal. I love salad as much as anybody, but sometimes I want steak and potatoes. Azz is writing a comic book for vegans. Hell at least give me some olive oil on my watercress to make it a little more palatable.
    This particular writer could care less what you find palatable. If you can't get with that, it's probably not the book for you.

It's also worth noting that there is a very heavy nod to 100 Bullets in this issue.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    Just like with the Amazons, i think Themiscyra is more realistic and gritty intentionally. As such, i thought it was great the way it looked. As for Virginia, well Azz chose a hick town, what could Chiang do? Draw it like Paris?
    Bruh I'm from the South, I've seen hick towns before and that's not it. They even have pavement in Geechieville, South Carolina.