Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Even Hermes who is the fastest god alive didn't hit one punch at Artemis. These two hunters are pretty badass. And yeah, Diana just hit two punches, but that's impressive enough if you analyze things.
    I'm guessing she will "join" Ares in order to gain some power/weapon for having the chance to beat up a god.
    Sexism: men are from Ares, women are from Aphrodite.

Insanity is colorblind Mecegirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    She does dodge one, doesn't she?

On page 11, she dodges a sun blast (which ends up hitting Lennox). Then, on page 12, she does a pretty spectacular gymnastic move to put herself in front of Apollo, and she gets a punch in. She dodges a punch in the panel after that. Then she elbows him in the chin, before he finally lands a punch—and things get a lot worse worse after that. But after all, she’s having a fistfight with the sun. The sun! Just being able to put up a fight seems pretty impressive
    Dude...the fight was IMO boring. A total snooze fest. I saw everything you described...it was still unimpressive.You'd think fighting the sun would be a bit of a bigger production. It's good that she dodged he sunblast but it wasn't like he was being sneaky about it. She has eyes of course she dodged it. The flip was not that fantastic...It was a flip. I suppose the distance was supposed to make it more special but it did not light my eyes up.

She had a hold of his arm before she elbowed him..that was a parry, and then she elbows him in the chin. Normally a move like that would have the attacker (Diana) continuing a combination because they are close to their target. They have broken through their targets defense. Apollo did such a combination once he got his hit in. But the way the panels are arranged it muddies the chain of events a bit.

She did knock his arm out of the way , which would knock him off balance giving her the opportunity to attack. The next attack was an elbow to the chin. Elbowing him in the chin would knock him off balance again, and is a good set up for another attack, but there is this odd break in the panels. Even if her hits were as ineffectual against his god form as a mosquito bite she had a good set up. I suppose we are to assume that he regained his balance fast enough to hit her back, or she let up on him after elbowing him.

And let me be clear. Her landing hits on him and disturbing his rhythm can be separate from her hits hurting him. Or even her beating him. It's all about skill.
    Last edited by Mecegirl; 07-18-2012 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Don-Jack View Post
    Even Hermes who is the fastest god alive didn't hit one punch at Artemis. These two hunters are pretty badass. And yeah, Diana just hit two punches, but that's impressive enough if you analyze things.
    I'm guessing she will "join" Ares in order to gain some power/weapon for having the chance to beat up a god.
    Yeah If want to Win in a Fight with Gods, I would Like the God of War in My corner. Also It seems She and Him have a Previous Relationship Considering What Wonder Women 0 and 13 are soliciting.

Moderate Moderator Javier Velasco's Avatar

There is always a tendency to equate Greek Gods to the Christian/Jewish/Muslim God in terms of absolute power. This was not the case, at least as far as the Greeks were concerned.

If you read the Illiad, the gods were vulnerable to the attacks of normal humans. And they didn't possess any kind of invulnerability or super strength. They WERE powerful, but not in terms of all being "Superman" level beings.

Even when Herakles was in his demigod form, he was stronger than the Olympians. He wrestled Death to save Alcestis. Something no god could have done.

Of course, Azzarello can write whatever he wishes as far as the gods power levels. But he is certainly not writing the Greek Gods out of character is he shows them as having basic vulnerabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Javier Velasco View Post
    There is always a tendency to equate Greek Gods to the Christian/Jewish/Muslim God in terms of absolute power. This was not the case, at least as far as the Greeks were concerned.

If you read the Illiad, the gods were vulnerable to the attacks of normal humans. And they didn't possess any kind of invulnerability or super strength. They WERE powerful, but not in terms of all being "Superman" level beings.

Even when Herakles was in his demigod form, he was stronger than the Olympians. He wrestled Death to save Alcestis. Something no god could have done.

Of course, Azzarello can write whatever he wishes as far as the gods power levels. But he is certainly not writing the Greek Gods out of character if he shows them as having basic vulnerabilities.
    Eh, even though it may not be accurate I like it when they're written like the Christian/Jewish/Muslim God in terms of absolute power. It forces the writer to be very intelligent & creative in figuring out how the hero can defeat a God-being like that over a God-being who has vulnerabilities.
    "People don't actually like Wonder Woman. They like the idea in their head of what a "wonder woman" ought to be, which usually bears little resemblance to the character in the comics." - JKCarrier

Quote Originally Posted by Mecegirl View Post
    Dude...the fight was IMO boring. A total snooze fest. I saw everything you described...it was still unimpressive.You'd think fighting the sun would be a bit of a bigger production. It's good that she dodged he sunblast but it wasn't like he was being sneaky about it. She has eyes of course she dodged it. The flip was not that fantastic...It was a flip. I suppose the distance was supposed to make it more special but it did not light my eyes up.

She had a hold of his arm before she elbowed him..that was a parry, and then she elbows him in the chin. Normally a move like that would have the attacker (Diana) continuing a combination because they are close to their target. They have broken through their targets defense. Apollo did such a combination once he got his hit in. But the way the panels are arranged it muddies the chain of events a bit.

She did knock his arm out of the way , which would knock him off balance giving her the opportunity to attack. The next attack was an elbow to the chin. Elbowing him in the chin would knock him off balance again, and is a good set up for another attack, but there is this odd break in the panels. Even if her hits were as ineffectual against his god form as a mosquito bite she had a good set up. I suppose we are to assume that he regained his balance fast enough to hit her back, or she let up on him after elbowing him.

And let me be clear. Her landing hits on him and disturbing his rhythm can be separate from her hits hurting him. Or even her beating him. It's all about skill.
    it was a fight scene in a superhero book what do you want
    yes things happen in the white spaces in between panels, that's comics 101
    Last edited by Javier Velasco; 07-18-2012 at 09:00 PM. Reason: obscenity

Is Lennox gonna be okay? I didn't know whether to take his words in that he was done for this fight and WW and Hermes were on their own, or if he was actually dying or something. I would prefer and think its the former.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mecegirl View Post
    Dude...the fight was IMO boring.
    Well, that's fair enough. I wan't bored, but I can't say you shouldn't have been. To each their own.

A total snooze fest. I saw everything you described...it was still unimpressive.You'd think fighting the sun would be a bit of a bigger production. It's good that she dodged he sunblast but it wasn't like he was being sneaky about it. She has eyes of course she dodged it.
    I would think she needed not just eyes but lightning reaction speed; she was dodging light and heat projected by someone who is (I suppose) essentially light and heat himself. Lennox didn't dodge it. I'm assuming that Apollo is moving quiet fast, even though his style is to be cool and nonchalant about it. He just makes it look easy.

Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    Well, that's fair enough. I wan't bored, but I can't say you shouldn't have been. To each their own.

I would think she needed not just eyes but lightning reaction speed; she was dodging light and heat projected by someone who is (I suppose) essentially light and heat himself. Lennox didn't dodge it. I'm assuming that Apollo is moving quiet fast, even though his style is to be cool and nonchalant about it. He just makes it look easy.
    I don't think that was the FINAL confrontation between them. I'm tempted to say that may be coming up in the next couple of issues, but given that they're portrayed kissing on the cover of 12(?) it may be short lived by means of intervention by 1 or more of the gods. I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking Eros to cause such a representation of the cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Don-Jack View Post
    You might be overlooking something. It will be interesting to see.

Again. No super-speed for Hermes or WW. No super-flight. And WW doesn't even seem that super-strong. Thumbs down.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by garion View Post
    Again. No super-speed for Hermes or WW. No super-flight. And WW doesn't even seem that super-strong. Thumbs down.
    Why are you continuing to read this book if you already know Azzarello doesn't give a crap about power levels.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Why are you continuing to read this book if you already know Azzarello doesn't give a crap about power levels.
    That's really unfortunate too. I just read JL 11, and WW 11 isn't looking so good to me now. Macegirl is right, the "action" in this comic sucks. I don't know if it's because Azzarello insists on giving us his version of Vertigo or Chiang's inability to draw dynamic fight scenes, but either way it's unimaginative and uninspiring.

I want to mention a passage of a review I particulary agree with, very strong:

Cliff Chiang's lean artwork made me feel every blow of the battle. Unlike the fight Wonder Woman gets into in Justice League #11 that was also released this week, every hit has a visible effect and serious consequence. I cringed when I saw the shot of Lennox’s damaged chest after he took a punch from Artemis.

At one point Wonder Woman gets knocked down into the mud, and, believe it or not, it doesn’t turn into some awkward schoolboy fantasy. She looks rugged and battle-worn and every bit the Amazon warrior she’s been made out to be.

It speaks of my love for Cliff Chang. While spectacular and energetic, the battle in Justice League 11 feels meaningless and devoided of consequences. All style, flashy and in your face, no meat.
    In WW11, the fight is dirty, down to earth, you can feel the nasty blows, and I did winced looking at the wounds in Lennox's body.

It's a matter of taste what do you like better of course.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WhitOro View Post
    I want to mention a passage of a review I particulary agree with, very strong:

Cliff Chiang's lean artwork made me feel every blow of the battle. Unlike the fight Wonder Woman gets into in Justice League #11 that was also released this week, every hit has a visible effect and serious consequence. I cringed when I saw the shot of Lennox’s damaged chest after he took a punch from Artemis.

At one point Wonder Woman gets knocked down into the mud, and, believe it or not, it doesn’t turn into some awkward schoolboy fantasy. She looks rugged and battle-worn and every bit the Amazon warrior she’s been made out to be.

It speaks of my love for Cliff Chang. While spectacular and energetic, the battle in Justice League 11 feels meaningless and devoided of consequences. All style, flashy and in your face, no meat.
    In WW11, the fight is dirty, down to earth, you can feel the nasty blows, and I did winced looking at the wounds in Lennox's body.

It's a matter of taste what do you like better of course.
    Man please, these are comic books. Without visually stimulating splashy fight scenes providing a vicarious adrenaline rush you may as well be reading a novel. Comics are supposed to be big, bawdy, colorful and larger than life. I can get the pathos you're talking about by watching CNN for free.