Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Who Drew it Best: Finding a Character's Defining Artist

Over the years every single one of our favorite characters have been drawn by a whole menagerie of artists, unless of course your favorite character has appeared in only two issues (but then again I'd probably suggest you re-evaulate the meaning of 'favorite' if that's the case). But only a few of these talented men and women truly seem able to capture the essence and aestheticism needed to crate a defining portrayal of our favorite DC Superheroes, which led me to question which illustrator's artwork has left a lasting image on how any particular hero should be drawn by the adoring fans? Does Gary Frank draw a more definitive Superman than Phil Jimenez? Really it's all subjective but I think it'd be great to see what fans think makes for the best examples of how their favorite character should be drawn!

To start us off I thought I'd start with one of my favorite DC characters of all time - Hawkgirl! Even if the character has gone through a whole mess of reboots and continuity errors, I've still managed to find three artists who I think capture the perfect modern interpretation of my favorite Egyptian Queen/Thanagarian!

1. Stephen Sadowski (artwork pictured above)
    2. Rag Morales
    3. Nicola Scott

All three manage to capture her strength and feminity without resorting to cheesecake..plus they can draw some pretty badass wings.

So which three artists do you think drawn the most iconic interpretation of your favorite DC characters?
    Last edited by pryde15; 07-17-2012 at 04:39 PM.

Phil Jimenez does my favorite Fury, Black Canary, Tim, and Huntress. Jesus Saiz, Marcos Martin, and Cliff Chiang are my second favorite Black Canary artists.

Jimenez is the best Dinna Troy, too. May she rest in piece.
    XPOTM:September 2010

BANNED

Green Lantern - Ethan Van Sciver
    Superman - Dan Jurgens (the image of Jurgens' Superman has been imprinted in my head since I was a kid) or Gary Frank (Christopher Reeve like)

For Hawkgirl, it really depends which one you mean. For Kendra I'd accept Sadowski or Morales. But if we're talking about Shayera Thal, then it has to be Joe Kubert. Kubert modelled her after Julie Schwartz's red-haired wife, Jean. Since Joe met Jean in person, when she was young and stunning--I think he's the only one likely to have captured her likeness (although Murphy Anderson might be able to make the same claim).

I also understand that Sad modelled Kendra after a specific woman--so there again he's in the position of firsthand knowledge.

Tom Grummett always drew my favorite Superman growing up.

Quote Originally Posted by joao_miranda View Post
    Superman - Dan Jurgens (the image of Jurgens' Superman has been imprinted in my head since I was a kid)
    This. Even if there are better interpretations out there, Jurgens is the one that comes to mind whenever I hear "Superman".

Green Lantern/Hal Jordan - Ethan Van Sciver, Dan Jurgens (again)

Wonder Woman - Nicola Scott, Phil Jimenez, Mike Deodato

Aquaman - Ivan Reis, Alan Davis
    Last edited by SJNeal; 07-17-2012 at 07:32 PM.

Stephen Bissette for Swamp Thing
    Currently Reading: The Authority, Bone

Comics Of Days Past - Reading the greats of yesteryear

George Perez--Everything. Seriously, the man is an art god.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Carmine Infantino - the Flash

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    The comic book industry/medium is paradoxically the most fragile and most resilient thing in the world. Its noisiest critics insist every day that every cough, sputter, or dirty look threatens to destroy it, but it has survived every prediction of its demise for nearly eight decades.

Superman- Curt Swan, it's not even a debate.

Batman-Neal Adams

Doomed Planet. Desperate Scientists. Last Hope. Kindly Couple.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
    Batman-Neal Adams

That's some sexy Batman.
    Currently Reading: The Authority, Bone

Comics Of Days Past - Reading the greats of yesteryear

Veteran Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by An Ear In The Fireplace View Post
    But if we're talking about Shayera Thal, then it has to be Joe Kubert. Kubert modelled her after Julie Schwartz's red-haired wife, Jean. Since Joe met Jean in person, when she was young and stunning--I think he's the only one likely to have captured her likeness (although Murphy Anderson might be able to make the same claim).
    I came here to post almost the exact same thing lol

For other characters I'd say Carmine Infantino for Batgirl and Ethan Van Sciver for Green Lantern.

Powergirl = Amanda Conner

I think Curt Swan is highly debatable actually. He wins in terms of longevity, but for example if we're talking classic Superman I think Jose Garcia Lopez drew him better. Swan's Superman always was a bit on the pudgy side for my tastes.