Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by blackphoenix View Post
    For once, I'm reserving judgment until I see the show, but the description of the show as a "procedural" bothers me a bit. You can't throw a stick without hitting a police procedural nowadays, and I am equally bored by all of them.
    This probably didn't bother the creators of the show because of the fact that their target audience generally can't watch any of the standard procedural shows. The closest to a procedural I've ever seen in kids' TV is Disney's Fillmore.
    Story By Story- Story Circle of the Capital Region.

My own Youtube account, stories and public library use tips.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Simbob4000 View Post
    That isn't true at all.
    It's quite true, actually. The target audience for this show is going to be people too young to have seen B:TAS when it first aired. Some of them may have seen it on DVD, but most of the DVD audience consists of people who did see the original. And Batgirl only appeared in 1 or 2 episodes of Brave and the Bold. Those members of target audience for the new show who don't follow the comics aren't going to have any meaningful Barbara Gordon-based frame of reference. They may not even have ever heard of Batgirl before.
    Last edited by kalorama; 07-20-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Omnidisciplinary Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    It's quite true, actually. The target audience for this show is going to be people too young to have seen B:TAS when it first aired. Some of them may have seen it on DVD, but most of the DVD audience consists of people who did see the original. And Batgirl only appeared in 1 or 2 episodes of Brave and the Bold. Those members of target audience for the new show who don't follow the comics aren't going to have any meaningful Barbara Gordon-based frame of reference. They may not even have ever heard of Batgirl before.
    your forgetting the batman

I am really looking forward to this show. Seeing the more detective side of Batman. Katana is more of a partner and not side sidekick, which works for me. Looking forward to seeing the more obscure villains like Anarky, Magpie, Professor Pyg, Mr. Toad, King Kraken. I was looking at some other villains that haven't been used and I would love to see Hush, The Great White Shark, Mr. Zsasz, The Monk and Dala, Dr. Death, Nocturna, Dr. Hurt and the Club of Villains, Flamingo, The White Rabbit, maybe new 52 villains like The Court of Owls ( which could be used in another season), Mr. Toxic, Snakeskin, Mr. Combustable, Hypnotic ( although the later of these did not have much character development yet since Tony Daniel left but they would look great on the show), Cornelius Stirk, King Snake, Facade, Black Spider, Doctor Phosphorus, The Tally Man, The Mime, Ratcatcher, The Mortician, The Spook, The Charlatan ( Paul Sloane, who was a Pre-Crisis Two-Face II after Harvey Dent, but was made into the villain the Charlatan). Although these characters had small appearances I agree from an earlier post that I would like to see The Cluemaster and Spellbinder.. they really aren't known outside the comic book world.I would also like to see Catman as well, Blake was in Cult of the Cat in TNBA and in TTBATB, but not much was done with them. Looks like at some point the Outsiders will form since we have Katana and Metamorpho. I like Alfred in this as well.
    Last edited by Bo-Man; 07-20-2012 at 06:26 PM.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1505627 View Post
    your forgetting the batman
    Well, let's face it, The Batman was pretty forgettable. And actually, that plays pretty well into my point.

I watched The Batman and thought pretty strongly that the inclusion of Batgirl was the best/most interesting thing about the show. Yet, just a few years later, it barely registers in my memory. The people who watch this stuff who aren't diehard members of fandom aren't likely to care whether Batman's female sidekick is Batgirl Barbara, Batgirl Cassie, Katana, or Squirrel Girl. They may take passing note of it, but they aren't going to care about it very much, and the simple fact of the change, in and of itself, isn't likely to have much impact on their interest or enjoyment of the show because they didn't have that much emotional investment in any particular iteration of the characters to to begin with. They'll figure out pretty quickly that it's a different show with no connection to the previous ones and start fresh from there.

I know it's sometimes hard to see it from an interior perspective, but in the bigger picture, the number of people who get really worked up over that kind of thing is actually pretty small.

I think its interesting they made one of the villians look like Lady Gaga. Since I can't stand her, I may give this show a chance.

Well, let's face it, The Batman was pretty forgettable. And actually, that plays pretty well into my point.

I watched The Batman and thought pretty strongly that the inclusion of Batgirl was the best/most interesting thing about the show. Yet, just a few years later, it barely registers in my memory. The people who watch this stuff who aren't diehard members of fandom aren't likely to care whether Batman's female sidekick is Batgirl Barbara, Batgirl Cassie, Katana, or Squirrel Girl. They may take passing note of it, but they aren't going to care about it very much, and the simple fact of the change, in and of itself, isn't likely to have much impact on their interest or enjoyment of the show because they didn't have that much emotional investment in any particular iteration of the characters to to begin with. They'll figure out pretty quickly that it's a different show with no connection to the previous ones and start fresh from there.

I know it's sometimes hard to see it from an interior perspective, but in the bigger picture, the number of people who get really worked up over that kind of thing is actually pretty small.
    While I'm sure a lot of them have heard of Batgirl, I generally agree. The amount of people actually fighting or getting offended over the sidekick choices (there seem to be a number of people upset about the lack of Robins) is likely to be quite small. I said the same thing when people were freaking out over the use of Bendis and Loeb characters on the Avengers cartoon. Most people don't really care one way or another, they just want to be entertained.

Gallifrey endures. blackphoenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    They don't have the rights to the 60's show characters. The only reason they got away with them on Brave and the Bold was because they were nameless cameos.
    That's stupid. How can Warner Brothers not have the rights to characters they own?
    Thus do I write the first chapter of my new scripture. And the first verse is "Let it all burn."

PHOENIX INVICTUS!

Elder Member

That's stupid. How can Warner Brothers not have the rights to characters they own?
    Also, if they didn't have the rights, then legally they wouldn't even be able to use them for "nameless cameos."

If the show was done by an external studio, they wouldn't own them. That was the big cause of all the drama with Chloe from Smallville and why it took them so long to actually bring her into the DC Universe. Technically, she was a product of the production company that made the show, not Warner Brothers.

I actually liked the "The Batman" cartoon. For me it started to really get good when Batman more or less joins the JLA and we get some Brave and the Boldesque team ups.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    I actually liked the "The Batman" cartoon. For me it started to really get good when Batman more or less joins the JLA and we get some Brave and the Boldesque team ups.
    It had its moments. It was wildly hit and miss from a story/character perspective in the first couple of seasons, but I loved the visuals. I thought it took a big upturn in story execution the season where Batgirl was introduced and became a regular (I thought the same about B:TAS). I didn't much care for the final season with the constant team-ups; it felt like too major a shift in tone from where the show had been going up to that point.

Omnidisciplinary Nerd

i liked the batman's version of clayface

Those characters were created by the studio owned by Fox, not Warner Brothers. This is the same reason why we haven't been able to get the Adam West show on DVD/Blu-Ray.

Also, if they didn't have the rights, then legally they wouldn't even be able to use them for "nameless cameos."
    To be fair, the majority of them were just prisoners with funny hats on. The closest they used to a 60's villain was King Tut, who had to be renamed "Pharaoh" in the credits.

Quote Originally Posted by 1505627 View Post
    i liked the batman's version of clayface
    I actually found him more sympathetic than TAS's Matt Hagen. They really ruined Hagen when Tim fell in love with that clay girl. At least Bennett was a more consistent character.

Quote Originally Posted by Free-Man View Post
    If the show was done by an external studio, they wouldn't own them. That was the big cause of all the drama with Chloe from Smallville and why it took them so long to actually bring her into the DC Universe. Technically, she was a product of the production company that made the show, not Warner Brothers.
    Indeed. Same with the stuff from the Superman films such as the Sunstone technology, Ursa, Non and the film version of Zod. The 60's Batman series was licensed out to 20th Century Fox as Warner Brothers had not purchased DC yet. And Greenway Productions was the company that made the episodes. The ones that hired the writers, directors and actors. Because Barbara Gordon debuted in the comics first, this is why DC was able to utilize her as they owned her. But original characters like King Tut didn't originate in the comics. Though we did have a variation of him in Batman Confidential.