Default National Comics Hype / Discussion

So at first I didn't have much interest in National Comics, but the recent Jeff Lemire interview about Kid Eternity was pretty interesting, and the more I looked into the series, the more I liked what I saw. It looks very, very Vertigo. Weird sexy horror, stuff to tap into a "True Blood" or rated-R type audience. Check out some of these covers:

Looks very hip and risque, and very un-superhero in presentation. I'm really not sure why this isn't being put out in Vertigo (or that the series isn't part of the Dark line, since it certainly seems very Dark-esque), but more variety for DC is always a good thing. Most of the characters sound kind of cool and I like all the covers and solicits.

Does anyone know how long this is supposed to last for? Is it an ongoing with a new issue every month, or just six-eight one-shots?

Regardless I am interested and will now be picking these up. Like I need to be buying more DC, haha.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

First off, I love those covers for Looker and Rose and Thorn. If what I read before the Lemire interview, these are almost treated like potential television pilots. Concepts and characters introduced but future is uncertain if we'll see them again. I thought there were only four announced but even though I'd like some characters to transition into the proper DCU, I'm looking forward to most of these. The only one that is iffy for me is Madame X but then that cover doesn't really tell me much about the character. Hopefully this will do well and we'll see more obscure characters in the title and well as more with these four.

Taste the Bitch Pudding. Green Griffin's Avatar

Fiona Staples is a goddess among mortals!

Who are rose and thorn? I like who ever did there cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Fate's Faith View Post
    The only one that is iffy for me is Madame X but then that cover doesn't really tell me much about the character.
    Here are the details on the Madame X issue:

The classic DC character Madame Xanadu is reimagined in a compelling new way! • The once-famous tarot card reader Madame X now works at a law firm as the resident 'psychic' - but can her 'powers' help her solve a complicated new case? • From the acclaimed team of Rob Williams (Iron Man, Cla$$War) and Trevor Hairsine (Captain America, Cla$$War)!"

Quote Originally Posted by Green Griffin View Post
    Fiona Staples is a goddess among mortals!

Who are rose and thorn? I like who ever did there cover.
    Back in the old days, Rose was a woman who suffered a personality split from seeing her father killed by a criminal organization. I want to say the 100 or 1000. She developed another personality that went after the killers who was known as Thorn. At least that's my memory of her. I know she showed up in one of the Superman titles not long into the post-Crisis era and I think that was pretty much the same origin. Heard she had a mini a few years back that I hope to find one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortuary Guy View Post

The classic DC character Madame Xanadu is reimagined in a compelling new way! • The once-famous tarot card reader Madame X now works at a law firm as the resident 'psychic' - but can her 'powers' help her solve a complicated new case? • From the acclaimed team of Rob Williams (Iron Man, Cla$$War) and Trevor Hairsine (Captain America, Cla$$War)!"
    See, that sounds so freaking cool!

These really do seem like TV pilots. DC has done a great job with their recent side projects (Ame-Comi, LOTDK), so I have high hopes for this.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

Quote Originally Posted by Mortuary Guy View Post

You know, I think that would be an interesting way to go with the same character from Demon Knights as opposed to the old tarot card reader she was when I last read her in the Spectre series. Does sound like a television show though. Maybe that's what Warners should be looking into instead of films because these concepts sound very friendly to that medium.

a curious wanderer OBrianTallent's Avatar

The only thing I dont get is are these or aren't they in continuity. I've heard both, but if they are in continuity, why are they using Madame X who is currently in Justice League Dark in a fairly different way.
    Other than that, it does seem like a cool way to introduce some mostly unknown characters in some pretty off the wall ways to see if there's any interest.
    Not all who wander are lost....

They aren't in continuity, they aren't even being coordinated by the New York office but rather by the West Coast offices. It's pretty clear that they are actually designed as TV show pitches, something tangible to show executives and developers in terms of how such a show would or wouldn't function. They're trying to expand into other forms of media, and this is their attempt.

National Comics is basically doing what Millarworld does, but farming the books out to different creative teams. I'd bet dollars to donuts the impetus was to get TV shows, not more comics, off the ground.

Which is why I'm not too terribly interested -- it's not that I have anything against it, and I'll be picking these up to see what kind of quality we get, but a comic book designed as a TV show pitch is probably not going to be experimental or dense or 'big concept' enough for me to really get into. There is a reason Morrison's stuff rarely gets translated into any other form of media, why no one is ever successful with Alan Moore's work. Too much content, too much uniquely suited to the medium.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    The only thing I dont get is are these or aren't they in continuity. I've heard both, but if they are in continuity, why are they using Madame X who is currently in Justice League Dark in a fairly different way.
    Other than that, it does seem like a cool way to introduce some mostly unknown characters in some pretty off the wall ways to see if there's any interest.
    Might be a case by case basis depending on what clicks. We know Kid Eternity is out of continuity and sounds like Madame X is also. Going into this assuming all are but hope it changes if really good.

I really love the idea behind it, but I HATE that it isnt part of the DCU. :(

Well think about it this way: If it was a part of the DCU, they'd have to cancel an ongoing to put it out. Since it's separate, it can be bonus, just like Batman Beyond and Ame-Comi and all the other bonus DC books.

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Kamui View Post
    Well think about it this way: If it was a part of the DCU, they'd have to cancel an ongoing to put it out. Since it's separate, it can be bonus, just like Batman Beyond and Ame-Comi and all the other bonus DC books.
    Im going to ask Dan Didio tomorrow on his facebook for some clarity.
    Maybe they were told to just tell a simple self-sustaining one-shot that could technically fit into the DCnU.