Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

"All-Time" Favorites:

The Original John Carter of Mars Trilogy (A Princess of Mars / The Gods of Mars / The Warlord of Mars) by Edgar Rice Burroughs

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkein

Tarzan of the Apes, also by Burroughs

The Complete Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Recent Favorites:

The Tales of the Red Panda series (The Crime Cabal / The Mind Master / The Android Assassins) and Black Jack Justice by Gregg Taylor

The Lone Ranger: Vendetta by Howard Hopkins
    My Audio Drama Blog

Decoder Ring Theatre:
    Home of the Red Panda and Black Jack Justice

Okay, I already posted, but I only posted one book, so I'll expand a bit.

Brave New World (Add in 1984 as well)
    Paradise Lost
    Inferno and Purgartorio (tied, and have yet to read Paradiso.
    Frankenstein
    Dracula
    Lolita
    Anything by John Grisham
    I Am Legend

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfCups View Post
    Okay, I already posted, but I only posted one book, so I'll expand a bit.

Brave New World (Add in 1984 as well)
    Why are these 2 grouped together?

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfCups View Post
    Inferno and Purgartorio (tied, and have yet to read Paradiso)
    A book you haven't read is tied with 1 of your favourite books...?
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

LA now, NYC born & raised Ziza9's Avatar

The Fu__ Up by Arthur Nersesian and The Great Gatsby by Fitzgerald are tied for favorite.

Those are followed closely by Focault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco

Guilty pleasure faves: The espionage novels of David Morrell. Brotherhood of the Rose, The Fifth Profession, etc.
    Child of the Bronze Age.
    My Con schedule: Wondercon, E3, SDCC

The Padre (Guy Padre) @ http://godhatesgeeks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    Why are these 2 grouped together?

A book you haven't read is tied with 1 of your favourite books...?
    Well Brave New World and 1984 have similarities, and they are both great books

Inferno, Purgatorio, and Paradiso are all apart of the Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri (so when hearing Dante's Inferno, it's the first part of The Divine Comedy). I was just commenting that I have no opinion on the third book, as I hadn't read it.
    Last edited by KingOfCups; 11-02-2012 at 07:19 AM.

If I can only pick one - Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

Following close behind - Nabokov's Pale Fire, Heinlein's Time Enough for Love, One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, and Sapir & Murphy's Assasin's Playoff.
    Last edited by Jodoc; 11-06-2012 at 07:18 PM. Reason: spelling error

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jodoc View Post
    If I can only pick one - Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy

Following close behind - Nabokov's Pale Fire, Heinlein's Time Enough for Love, One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, and Sapir & Murphy's Assasin's Playoff.
    Love Pale Fire, must re-read that one of these days. Wasn't as taken with the Marquez as its acclaim had led me to expect, but perhaps I was in the wrong frame of mind when I read it. Haven't read Tolstoy at all yet, but hope to get to both Anna Karenina and War & Peace sometime the next year or two. Have read some Heinlein, but not TEFL - still waffling on whether I'll give it a try or not. I read two or three Destroyer books as a teenager in the 70s but not this one - what other Destroyer books do you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    Love Pale Fire, must re-read that one of these days. Wasn't as taken with the Marquez as its acclaim had led me to expect, but perhaps I was in the wrong frame of mind when I read it. Haven't read Tolstoy at all yet, but hope to get to both Anna Karenina and War & Peace sometime the next year or two. Have read some Heinlein, but not TEFL - still waffling on whether I'll give it a try or not. I read two or three Destroyer books as a teenager in the 70s but not this one - what other Destroyer books do you recommend?
    Yeah, War&Peace is on my really-should-read-someday list. TimeEnoughForLove I've read 4-5 times; still tear up at the end. And Assasin'sPlayoff was the culmination of the plotlines of the first 20 books in that series, as Remo had his final confrontation w/Niuhc, Chiun's evil nephew and a recurring baddie, and was formally named a Master of Sinanju. It's the high point of the series for me; I thought they became forced and repetitive after that climax. Anything between Dr Quake and Playoff is my golden age of the Destroyer. Though I enjoyed the books Will Murray did. Note - starting after Dr Quake. Do not include Dr Quake in the good stuff.
    Last edited by Jodoc; 11-07-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Veteran Member

Yeah, War&Peace is on my really-should-read-someday list. TimeEnoughForLove I've read 4-5 times; still tear up at the end. And Assasin'sPlayoff was the culmination of the plotlines of the first 20 books in that series, as Remo had his final confrontation w/Niuhc, Chiun's evil nephew and a recurring baddie, and was formally named a Master of Sinanju. It's the high point of the series for me; I thought they became forced and repetitive after that climax. Anything between Dr Quake and Playoff is my golden age of the Destroyer. Though I enjoyed the books Will Murray did. Note - starting after Dr Quake. Do not include Dr Quake in the good stuff.
    Thanks, I've been picking up a few Destroyers lately when I see them at cheap prices, so that helps. Looking at the list, I see Murray wrote or co-wrote a lot of the installmenst from around #70 to #100 or just beyond - are those the ones you mean? A also read somewhere that some science fiction and even supernatural elements appear in the later books - how did that work, if true?

You've swayed me to add TEFL to my list of Heinlein books to read, along with a couple short story collections and The Puppet Masters.

I'm hoping to get to a lot of the big Russian classics I haven't read yet soon - Turgenev, Dosteyevsky's Devils, Tolstoy, as well as some 20th century stuff, including more Nabakov.

Thanks, I've been picking up a few Destroyers lately when I see them at cheap prices, so that helps. Looking at the list, I see Murray wrote or co-wrote a lot of the installmenst from around #70 to #100 or just beyond - are those the ones you mean? A also read somewhere that some science fiction and even supernatural elements appear in the later books - how did that work, if true?

Those sound like the Murray numbers; he did a decent continuation of the series. A good Murray is better than a weak Sapir/Murphy (cough, Dr Quake, cough). The sf elements were there early on; the 1st 20 books featured a sentient computer program, a shape-shifting robot, genetically-engineered tiger women, and a guy who could cause earthquakes. They were comic booky rather than serious scientific extrapolations, but still fun. The supernatural stuff, not so much. The low point for the series was when Remo fought Cthulhu. As in actually physically fought, putting out both the Elder God's eyes. Just didn't work.

Veteran Member

Those sound like the Murray numbers; he did a decent continuation of the series. A good Murray is better than a weak Sapir/Murphy (cough, Dr Quake, cough). The sf elements were there early on; the 1st 20 books featured a sentient computer program, a shape-shifting robot, genetically-engineered tiger women, and a guy who could cause earthquakes. They were comic booky rather than serious scientific extrapolations, but still fun. The supernatural stuff, not so much. The low point for the series was when Remo fought Cthulhu. As in actually physically fought, putting out both the Elder God's eyes. Just didn't work.
    yeah, that sounds pretty bad - which one was that, so I'll know to avoid it?

yeah, that sounds pretty bad - which one was that, so I'll know to avoid it?
    Well, double-checking the numbers I found that the creature is actually called Sa Mangsang, though they say its Arabic name is Khadhulu, and the description is clearly Cthulhu. Remo first met it in #100, Last Rites, and the fight happened in #139, Dream Thing.
    HAIL HYDROX!

If you're so smart, why aren't you naked?

Remains of the Day-- Kazuo Ishiguro
    Collected Stories of William Trevor-- William Trevor
    Anna Karenin-- Leo Tolstoy
    American Pastoral-- Philip Roth
    I could sleep all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    What is your favourite book? It can be a novel, a short story collection, poetry, etc.....

My favourite is "The Horror Stories Of Robert E. Howard"
    http://www.amazon.com/review/R193F68...wasThisHelpful

This is a review I wrote of the book on amazon.com recently.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview

My amazon reviews, check them out sometime!

MOBY DICK would probably be at the top of the list since I reread parts of it off and on.