Page 46 of 87 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast
    Indestructible Finger Test of Strength's Avatar
    "....who are you? Still don't know who you are. Not good enough."
    -Boozier

As a wrestling fan, this casting choice makes me laugh. I have no idea if this is a good decision or not, though.

I have a nice mustache Van Custo's Avatar

That is almost as bad as them considering Triple H for Thor a few years back. A decision that will probably come back to haunt them, and make the movie that much harder to take seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Custo View Post
    That is almost as bad as them considering Triple H for Thor a few years back. A decision that will probably come back to haunt them, and make the movie that much harder to take seriously.
    Agree with what u said, I think he will be ok though as long as they don't give him to much dialogue...makes me laugh that they went for a wrestler though.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Custo View Post
    It's not nearly as bad. The gap between acting prowess needed to take the lead role of Thor in his film compared to Drax in an ensemble film is vast.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

what has Dave Batista done besides wrestling? how tall is he?

Who will play Gamora? I hope she's hot. I wonder will she have short or long hair in the movie (hopefully long).

Wow so Guardians of the Galaxy is where Marvel drops the ball. So let me get this straight they got Chris Pratt as Star Lord. No offense to his acting skills. I love him in Parks and Rec. I just don't think this is his thing. Then they get a wrestler to play Drax...... Keep in mind the audience now has to willingly go into a serious movie with an actor mostly know for his comedic perfomances, another for "acting" in wrestling, a talking racoon, a talking tree, and a green chick. How much credibility do they think those casting choices lend the movie when they still haven't even gotten to the talking racoon and tree characters yet. What next? Jack Black as Rocket Racoon? Chyna as Gamora? Jim Carrey as Groot?
    Sorry about the rant. I love these characters and the way I see it the casting, direction, and the draw to the movie has to be huge enough to overcome the nagging doubt in a mostly non comic reading audience about a cosmic team that includes a talking (Sorta) walking Tree, and a gun toting talking walking Racoon.
    I like swords.

I have a nice mustache Van Custo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherUnitNo_4 View Post
    It's not nearly as bad. The gap between acting prowess needed to take the lead role of Thor in his film compared to Drax in an ensemble film is vast.
    To me, it's almost as bad. He's not an actor. Even if he just stands there the whole time, I will be thinking "LOL that's Batista". And how do you know how much "acting prowess" will be required for Drax? Maybe he has plenty of scenes and dialogue.

Marvel, how did you get it so wrong? This was my most anticipated movie of phase 2 and now my faith is shattered.

'Batista' had no mic skills as a wrestler. I can't see how he has improved any since then.
    Thor: God of Thunder, Indestructible Hulk, Deadpool, Captain Marvel, Avengers, Mighty Avengers, All-New X-Men

Not a fan of wrestling, but I'll give it a chance. After all, we have to assume that they're thinking this through. He read the part, and was ostensibly the best of the people who read.

Though I'll admit I'm irritated that they didn't get Jason Momoa. When I read the cosmic books, the voice of Drax is usually Momoa (as Ronan in SG: Atlantis).

I figure (and hope) that they picked him for more than just "he's big", just as I figure/hope that, when they pick Gamora, it's more than just "She's stacked."

Frankly, my faith will drop most if they don't get a cockneye-accented guy to play Rocket.

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

i'm more worried about who the villain(s) of the piece will be.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    what has Dave Batista done besides wrestling? how tall is he?

Who will play Gamora? I hope she's hot. I wonder will she have short or long hair in the movie (hopefully long).
    he was also a mixed martial artist. he was last seen in The Man with the Iron Fists as the brass covered guy. he's apparently also in the upcoming Riddick movie (of the Pitch Black Trilogy). guy's basically a stunt man. i'm surprised that they considered him. i guess Vin Diesel isn't that much deeper. :shrugs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3RcXfwZYgsk
    Last edited by Monty_Cristo; 03-15-2013 at 01:59 PM.

Casting Batista as Drax probably just indicates that the character won't have many lines or much depth in the movie. Just a musclebound dude for the action scenes. It's not terribly surprising, though, there's not enough time in a 2 hour movie to give every character a significant story arc.

Quote Originally Posted by BingoBrown View Post
    Casting Batista as Drax probably just indicates that the character won't have many lines or much depth in the movie. Just a musclebound dude for the action scenes. It's not terribly surprising, though, there's not enough time in a 2 hour movie to give every character a significant story arc.
    potential problem that i see is that Drax is sort of their 'Wolverine.' if you don't like the 'Wolverine,' it's going to be hard to like the team. of course i guess Snake Eyes being a personality-less mute hasn't hurt G.I. Joe.

Bautista looks like Drax. He's huge and he's imposing. He does not have Rock-like ability to act, but he can pull off a tough guy role with very little effort. I'm still looking forward to this movie.
    Olivier Coipel - The best damned artist on the planet!

Shout out to Kev Walker! You're doing a hell of a job!

Find & follow me on Twitter & Instagram. Check out arfguy