Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

I don't know why I love Bendis, but he is the one who put Hulk and Cap together for the first time and he did it again in this issue. it's like there should be a team-up book with these two together. I like the Hulk and Cap interacting, so this book gave me what I wanted.

Cap asked for Hulk to follow. Hulk went on a Quinjet with Cap to visit the military and talk to a general. Hulk got out of the Quinjet and they talked to the General. Hulks obedience was the surprising thing here. Why did Hulk do what Cap told him too? But I can see why the Hulk didn't turn up for the Defenders arc. Hulk was too busy with the Avengers in space. it's like Hulk is Caps little lap dog now. In both the movie and now this book, the Hulk and Cap relationship is what I enjoy the most. It's like in the movie, Cap knows already what the Hulk is. - berserker being, but who knows his limits. Yet, in the movie, Hulk took delight in punding Thor and Iron Man around like toy dolls. But here, Hulk is content to tag along and be the muscle. it's something I would have liked to see in the Hulk movies a lot, but never got the chance.

Then already we find out some intergalactic council has made Earth a hands-off planet for everyone, so now we are in a cosmic story that already started somewhere else. Are we going to learn who this council is? Because I would like to know what gives them the right to single out Earth for non-interference, and what makes the Earth so dangerous in their eyes?

The story isn't that much about Thanos trying to take over the Earth as it is some cosmic body telling Earth what to do, and what Earth is. I'd like to see the Earth representatives come face to face with this council and ask what makes Earth so dangerous and how Cap can do something to make that less? I know Cap disagrees with the statement by the council that Earth is dangerous, but I'd like to see Cap argue the point.

And what are all these sexual inuendo's going on here? First it was Hawkeye and Natalia, then, it was Thor and Gamora. I've seen spontaneous love affairs, but the stairs in this story are way more rapid than I'm used too. Are there a bunch of hormones going off I'm not aware of? I remember Cap jumping that troll woman in that 5 issue mini in the 9 realms. Is this some of that going on? Do these super hero types jump the opposite sex if they just look at them? Maybe the Earthers are the most dangerous species out there, if they procreate at the drop of a hat.

Just a little surprised that Tony didn't parade out the Shi'ar Ship the Illuminati used in the attack on the Skrull home world. maybe it was repossessed?
    Last edited by jackolover; 07-20-2012 at 07:52 PM.
    Visited NY and DC and saw Spider-Man Turn off the Dark.

Quote Originally Posted by mainevent15 View Post
    the Nat/Clint thing made zero sense. This is just bendis brain farting really hard and giving a shit about Bucky/Nat and their current relationship which has been built up through Captain America, Fear Itself and Winter Soldier.
    It shows what a horn dog Clint is. That Nat draws into a kiss is just natural for her, because that's what she does. it doesn't mean anything to her, because she is a seductress by trade. Then she looks at Hwkeyes participation and it's a betrayal of Spider Woman.
    Last edited by jackolover; 07-20-2012 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    But even Peter Parker has looked blond when artists have colored him that way.

Also, I hate that Bendis is writing Hawkeye as such a cad. He should be dating Mockingbird. McCann was originally planning on getting them back together.
    Hawk and Nat have history together, and Hawk was once madly in love with her. I can overlook this little pash on as just a lack of self control. But I liked the apparent sexual tension involved, and the way Avengers couple at the drop of a hat. Makes me think of the X-Men in pre-AVX, pairing off to replenish the species.

Quote Originally Posted by drakeon View Post
    I tought that the Guardian's characterization wasnt terrible, but this new reader friendly approuch just makes for bad storytelling for anyone who isnt 10 years old. It reads like an all ages book in a bad way. Do they expect new readers to just be stupid or what?

It was nice that he acknoledged Gamora's ties to Thanos, but she was his ward, not his daughter. Star Lord looks like his classic self rather then his Annihilation self. Nice nod to the badoon, but it would have been nice to see Cosmo or the Knowhere base. Really irritated that there is yet an explanation of events since the cancerverse imploded, but im hoping we get there. Also dont really care for Thanos' motivations or characterization. Hes also classic Thanos, and not the Thanos that had been much changed by Starlina nd then Giffen in recent years.

Also, its that easy to just create a comic cube? I know AIM did it back in the day, but seriously the govt can do it now? The cosmic cube is one of the most powerful weapons in the universe and the damn govt just whips one up?
    I think we got an explanation of how people got out of the Cancer verse. Black Bolt just showed up. Everybody else can also.

Black Bolt wasn't in the Cancerverse, he was lost within the fault when the bomb exploded, killing Vulcan.

The others could easily port out with the final remaining juice within the cosmic cube.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevad View Post
    For awhile I thought that Avengers Assemble was taking place post AVX. That it was reflecting the post AVS status quo. But we now have an idea of what that status quo is shaping up to be thanks to Marvel Now! So now I'm just lost about when this is supposed to be taking place. The thing is I think I will still be lost until this story arc is done. Then I can figure out where it fits.
    It also gives us more Thor in space, before he went with the Secret Avengers in AVX.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I think we got an explanation of how people got out of the Cancer verse. Black Bolt just showed up. Everybody else can also.
    Blackbolt wasn't in the Cancerverse, he was at the center of the original explosion that create the hole leading to the Cancerverse.

That being said, Star-Lord and Thanos being alive doesn't bug me as much as Drax. Even taking his penchant for coming back to life, after the way he died, much like in his mini, he wouldn't/should have revived EXACTLY in his last form.

Quote Originally Posted by drakeon View Post
    Event books basically work like this: Until said event wraps up just assume that every current storyline takes place before the event. Also, if a current storyline wraps up an issue or two after the event it still takes place before the event unless otherwise stated.
    It's a good rule to apply, and I keep forgetting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Quest View Post
    Yes, he was essentially chosen as a figurehead, but the Shi'ar, under Gladiator, were reduced to being vassals of the Kree. He now seems to be an independent Emperor again with no explanation as to why. It doesnt remotely matter, it just annoys me
    Hasn't the Inhumans abandoned their Empire building in the FF. That means, the Empire can be split up again unless Ronan wants to be a Black Bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Quest View Post
    Some of that has been answered, in regards the Kree are now ruled by a new Supremor, after Ronan thought it would be wise to bring him back. Ronan was wrong, Supremor was his usual evil self and so Ronan and Crystal helped stop his plan.

I assume Ronan is now exiled and likely with Crystal on the Moon. The Shi'ar situation could be anything from a writer/editor not picking up on it, or space politics happening and us never getting an answer. Indeed, the Shi'ar could still be vassals, or at least tributaries, but allowed to act autonomously in some matters.
    If Bendis picks up the cosmic line, I can well imagine he wants to lay seeds or Easter eggs before he lets anyone know what's going on. If Bendis is going to do cosmic, then look out for a very slow evolution of the all the politics until Bendis is ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Man-Thing View Post
    My thoughts after reading:

Why is Quill blonde?
    Why is Quill alive?
    Why is Thanos, for that matter?
    Or Drax?
    Where the hell is Groot?
    Why is Bug on the team?
    When did Ship come back?
    How does the army just make a Cosmic Cube?
    Why does Thanos give a rat's @$$ what some council thinks?
    Rocket Raccoon is awesome.

I feel like Bendis was only marginally aware of the Guardians. The team as is feels like what someone would think the team was by flipping through some issues and then wiki-searching those 5 and only reading the first paragraph of their bio.
    Wait till Adi Granov or Leinil Yu come on board, and you'll suddenly see the slow machinations behind the scenes. Avengers Asemble is just a high adventure story, with none of the politics that Bendis likes to show.

Quote Originally Posted by Will.S View Post
    Yeah I do find that disconcerting given how much potential it all had.

I suppose it's Marvel's way of resetting that area without making it too continuity dependent on the DnA stuff but I do think cosmic fans are due for an explanation down the line.
    I agree, but I'm a disgruntled fan of the DNA setup all those years, that seeing it dismantled, irks me somewhat, because DnA spun a web of cosmic relationships much better than anything that came before. it was so refreshing, and now it's all rewound back to a default setting. I don't recognize it and I can't relate to it as a result. Alternative Nova being the worst example of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Will.S View Post
    Well at least keep the Annihilation costume, sheesh!

Welcome to Marvel NOW!
    Ugh! Now I know how the Starlin fans feel, when their universe suddenly imploded. I hope there's a decent explanation as to why Marvel ONE got that way.

Ok, after reading this, it at least feels more like an continuity book rather than a book pandering to new readers. Mostly. Although the whole "OMG Thanos has a cube" thing feels forced. Its not like he hasn't had one before and I'm fairly certain he could make one on his own. And well even referring to the gems was kind of silly. Thanos has learned his lesson about acquiring power for anything other than his own protection. As others have mentioned, the whole Earth is dangerous thing has been done before in Maximum Security. So the whole story seems rather pointless.

I agree, but I'm a disgruntled fan of the DNA setup all those years, that seeing it dismantled, irks me somewhat, because DnA spun a web of cosmic relationships much better than anything that came before. it was so refreshing, and now it's all rewound back to a default setting. I don't recognize it and I can't relate to it as a result. Alternative Nova being the worst example of this.
    Same here.

Ugh! Now I know how the Starlin fans feel, when their universe suddenly imploded. I hope there's a decent explanation as to why Marvel ONE got that way.
    I'll be looking very closely to what happens on the cosmic characters front but there are some things I hope doesn't happen like making them all $3.99 and taking Richard out of the equation entirely.