Now that the Avengers movie is out, I presume S.H.I.E.L.D. will rise to higher popularity and maybe even get their own movie.
what I realized is that there aren't many concrete elements about the agency and they basically change from one issue to another:
1) formed in recent years with Tony stark being a founder and recuriting nick fury vs. formed decades ago by nick fury vs. formed in ancient times by Da Vinci.
2) first director nick fury vs. guy who gets killed by HYDRA vs. weird villain called Fallen Angel.
3) secretive spy agency vs. militaristic agency known to the public vs. ministry of all super-human matters
4) agents with regular weapons vs. clones and superhumans, including a magical department.
5) superhero allies vs. moral shades of grey.
6) U.N. sponsored vs. USA sponsored
I gotta ask, what happened to that weird world council that was also in the movie and seem to be the real bosses...when did they last appear?
when did that "top-cop" position first get mentioned? is it the same thing as director of S.H.I.E.L.D.?
Was steve rogers head of S.H.I.E.L.D.? if so in which issue did he quit and stopped wearing that super-soldier costume?