Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I was all ready to give you $50 now, but I guess I can wait until the day after SDCC to give you my money. I'll also spread the word to my friends...

so is that starting this week?

Not that I wouldn't pledge any money to this but... shouldn't Kickstarter be used for people to raise funds who otherwise wouldn't be able to afford things like publishing costs? I'd think that if you were being published by Image you wouldn't need to raise funds first. Also, if Marc Silvestri were to draw the entire 5 issues it'd probably sell a ton anyway, and I don't mean draw it like he 'drew' Incredible Hulk.

I need more Roberson! Count Yoda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mhawkins View Post
    It's slated for day after ComiCon. We're trying to get it live earlier but Kickstarter has an approval process. We're learning here =)
    Ooh, the calendar shall be marked!

I look forward to seeing what the various reward tiers are, though that $50 Hardcover one does sound tempting....
    Taskmaster: I'm so much better than you. You can't win. You have to die.
    Moon Knight: Yes, kill me.... See if that works this time.

"Agnostic; lazy man's Atheist" - Pierce (Community)

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Agent View Post
    Not that I wouldn't pledge any money to this but... shouldn't Kickstarter be used for people to raise funds who otherwise wouldn't be able to afford things like publishing costs? I'd think that if you were being published by Image you wouldn't need to raise funds first. Also, if Marc Silvestri were to draw the entire 5 issues it'd probably sell a ton anyway, and I don't mean draw it like he 'drew' Incredible Hulk.
    Not really. As I said in the other topic about this, some bigger game studios have used Kickstarter to fund projects. It minimises the financial risk if nothing else.

I don't really see how they can make the print comics 'free'. I don't know what the small cost retailers will be paying to get the books is ... but it seems like if there were high demand that the Kickstarter money might not be enough to cover printing costs.
    Say the Kickstarter effort raises 100K. Then say retailers are excited about a free mini-series so all told they end up ordering about 200K copies of each issue. Where is the print point that turns this project from profit to deficit?

Id imagine there'll be a print limit appropriate to the funds raised.

Quote Originally Posted by skullduggery View Post
    I don't really see how they can make the print comics 'free'. I don't know what the small cost retailers will be paying to get the books is ... but it seems like if there were high demand that the Kickstarter money might not be enough to cover printing costs.
    Say the Kickstarter effort raises 100K. Then say retailers are excited about a free mini-series so all told they end up ordering about 200K copies of each issue. Where is the print point that turns this project from profit to deficit?
    They don't print them free. The stores pay a small fee (according to interviews, about the same amount retailers pay for FCBD issues) and give these issues away. The way retailers and Top Cow would make money is by bringing people into their stores, so many stores might make a Top Cow display with, say, Cyber Force trade reprints, the Rising Stars Omnibus, a bunch of Witchblade and Darkness trades etc, and that would encourage new sales.

Online it's much the same, ComiXology (for example) will see more business as people will register to get the free titles (and other free comics) and may, from that point, decide to buy more.

It's really just a slightly risky marketing strategy, but one that can be very effective.