Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Hellboy in Hell

Quote Originally Posted by noble_enough View Post
    I really have no idea where issue 4 will go.
    The end of 3 felt like he ended all his business down there. And now starts the wandering..
    This pretty much sums up my thoughts. I felt swept along this issue so swiftly that when it ended and HB was literally left adrift... I felt like, okay, now what? Where does this weird journey possibly go from here. But the wondering and not knowing is the juicy stuff that keeps me coming back.

Third issue continues the awesomeness. Enjoyed the battle between Hellboy and his brothers, and the surprising way things ended with Astaroth getting eaten by Leviathan. That little demon's comments were quite interesting. Can't wait to see where he goes from here.

Finally read #3. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by dreadcthulhu View Post
    This is going to sound really hyperbolic, but I honestly think this is one of the strongest Hellboy arcs Mignola has ever done. Just brilliant, moody, solid stuff.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Man-Thing View Post
    That was an amazing issue!

I just, I don't really have words.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevious Zoquis View Post
    #3 was awesome.
    And this.
    Square City Comics - Come check us out!

#4...What another great issue!
    We get an awesome origin story(sorta) and it's a perfect place to close this chapter and catch a breather before the next arc..and thank goodness, i'm still reeling for the previous 3 issues!
    great story. great illustrations. and great colors!

I've finally acquired and read Hellboy in Hell #1 - 3. And love it.

It feels like a fluent and astounding 'recap progression' of everything.

I feel that with Hellboy getting lead through the rims of Hell, past the river, through limbo - like a puppet theater both as a faded jaggedy family reckoning
    and into the abyss or "basement" - it seems like hellboy is being torn apart and built up again, beautifully and for all to see.

Hellboy: 'the Third Wish' and 'the Island' felt like a recap or turning point much as well, although with the difference being that Hellboy was going a-wall or M.I.A., away from the reader's scope for the most part. Like him floating at the bottom of the sea for nigh two years. All barnackly.

Whereas now, with Hellboy in Hell, readers get to see everything Hellboy sees, or more than that even.
    Completely gettable and concise, with asterisks ('*') or recaps for whoever needs them.

Overall it seems to me that it gets stressed again and again that Hellboy's story is his own.
    Like how a Shakespeare MacBeth performance would be its own thing or a puppet show of Dickens' A Christmas Carol.

Story points may contain or maintain the potential or possibility of meaning different things, as if more meanings or more possible meanings would be even more telling than only one singularly unmistakable meaning.

Like as if even the storyteller or creator himself would be constantly excited about what would be to happen next. With wondering how everything would need to get read or be taken exactly. Time and again, as much as the next guy, or gal.
    Although it coming alive or be to invoke wonderment would be more important than any fittingness or any merely proving 'correct' I'd reckon, always.

Which, together with the awesome visualness of things, I consider to being the very beauty of it.
    Since I'd get the idea how people may think a storyteller or creator will be like an all-knowing designer and maker-upper.

But maybe it would be even better to let the characters be like puppets on a mind of their own, like with no strings attached, or only hardly.
    With granting readers every opportunity to be making it their own, instead of just dictating stuff as if a story would be no more than a shopping list, needing to be but readible and complete.

This seems so much more than merely readible and complete. Astoundingly. With the artwork actually making up the story matter. And with keeping the story as made for taking on a life of its own. I love that.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 03-04-2013 at 02:35 PM.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

I got to read an advance of Hellboy in Hell #4 to review. I have to say it; Hellboy in Hell #1-4 is my favourite Hellboy story. I can't wait 'til you guys have read it all so I can geek out about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    I got to read an advance of Hellboy in Hell #4 to review. I have to say it; Hellboy in Hell #1-4 is my favourite Hellboy story. I can't wait 'til you guys have read it all so I can geek out about it.
    Your very lucky Mark!
    Ars longa, vita brevis
    www.mscorley.blogspot.com

Believe me, I know it! I'm having so much fun with this Mignolaversity gig.

Color me jealous.
    Square City Comics - Come check us out!

Very cool... they picked the right guy.

Thanks. You'll get to see what I've been working on on Wednesday.

Thanks. You'll get to see what I've been working on on Wednesday.
    Looking forward to it!

I'm enjoying the book. It's the only one I'm getting from Dark Horse right now.

If you die in Hell, where do you go? Is Astaroth destroyed, or is he just... elsewhere?
    Strangebeard: It's not the size of the pirate in the fight, but the size of the fight in the pirate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Tindall View Post
    I'm enjoying the book. It's the only one I'm getting from Dark Horse right now.

If you die in Hell, where do you go? Is Astaroth destroyed, or is he just... elsewhere?
    My guess is him and his stick became a spoilers:
    Hell-kraken's burp
    end of spoilers ?
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.