Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Hellboy in Hell

Yeah. It'd make a good cover for the trade.

Issue 4 was finished on the last day of 2012. A good way to end the year.

Quote Originally Posted by gdeo View Post
    OH MY GOD !!!
    I just read issue #2...Spectacular.Beautiful.Emotional.
    Still not coming down from the high of issue one's awesomeness...issue two comes in and slowly unravels to uppercut the HELL outta you!
    Mike once again proves to not only be one of this industry's legendary artists, but truly a craftsman.
    I've always been an "art first" kind of comic book fan...only a few creators have turned me into a 'story first' comic fan.
    Mignola is one of those talented artisans whose work is so compelling and page turning that i anxiously await the next thing.
    The storytelling is great.The art,without saying is awe inspiring.
    Complimented by Dave Stewart's emotional and skillful palette ...Issue Two of HELLBOY IN HELL is nothing short of genius!
    Man I agree whole heartidly.

I thought the first issue was mind blowing but this topped it.

Those statues of the women with flaming mouths between their legs? Yeah, that creeped me out like no other visual ever has in a comic.

And the exchange between Hellboy ad his guide concerning the souls of the damned:

"And Who decides who's damned?"

"Each man's soul is his own. How he chooses to spend it...that is for each man to decide for himself."

I stopped and contemplated that for a solid 20 minutes, it seriously has to be the single most eloquent line ever written in a comic. I mean, really take the time stop and think about it, it says so much about the nature of reality not only in the book, but in my belief, our own as well.

The ending though was the crowning achievement: we bore witness to the birth of Hellboy! The imagery was stunning, I loved that Hellboy seemed to be born out of the very ashes of his mother, there's something mythic and powerful about that and it's something I don't think is simply going to be left alone.

Oh, and my letter got published! That thrilled me. I wrote it after reading Return of the Master #2 but what I said about second issues holds just as true for Hellboy in Hell as well.

Beautiful issue, just amazing.. I just finished reading it and will now read it again.

SPOILER QUESTION

On the page where the ghost gives Hellboy the dagger and they quote Macbeth. The one panel has blood on the dagger as it falls to the ground, with what they say and the blood I'm guessing its implied he kills Satan? Is that right?

If he did just die, well, I would have loved to see what Satan looks like before he went.
    Ars longa, vita brevis
    www.mscorley.blogspot.com

I don't think they killed Satan, I thought perhaps it was blood from the guide. The way he was holding it in that first panel it almost appeared as if he had pulled the dagger straight from his own chest to offer it to Hellboy.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I don't think they killed Satan, I thought perhaps it was blood from the guide. The way he was holding it in that first panel it almost appeared as if he had pulled the dagger straight from his own chest to offer it to Hellboy.
    Possible, but the wasn't blood on it when it was in his hand holding it out to Hellboy.. The blood came after Hellboy presumably took it.
    Ars longa, vita brevis

Artistic license?

I don't know for sure, but I just don't see Mignola dropping something that big on us in between panels.

It definitely seems like something that will have a greater significance later though, so I doubt we'll be left hanging.

Artistic license?

I don't know for sure, but I just don't see Mignola dropping something that big on us in between panels.

It definitely seems like something that will have a greater significance later though, so I doubt we'll be left hanging.
    I hope your right, I really want to see what his Satan looks like
    Ars longa, vita brevis

Quote Originally Posted by noble_enough View Post
    I hope your right, I really want to see what his Satan looks like
    I kinda got the feeling that was him, offering the dagger. Could easily be off the mark, but...

Same here, the statue was cool looking but I'd love to see the real thing.

I suspect he would have some form of that mouth for a torso look that seemed to be everywhere this issue.

Same here, the statue was cool looking but I'd love to see the real thing.

I suspect he would have some form of that mouth for a torso look that seemed to be everywhere this issue.
    Hellboy is fighting Satan on the Year of Monsters cover to Hellboy in Hell #1. Looks just like the statue to me :)

OK, now that you've all read Hellboy in Hell #2, I can finally talk about this. You can only imagine what it was like for me at NYCC to be reading those final pages with Hellboy getting his right hand cut off by his own father while Mike Mignola watches me reading it with a devious grin on his face. And when I started saying how fantastic it was, he just shrugs and nods his head. It was an amazing moment I'll never forget.

That ending was incredible. So incredible.

I love this comic so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Junior Wormwood View Post
    Hellboy is fighting Satan on the Year of Monsters cover to Hellboy in Hell #1. Looks just like the statue to me :)
    Yeah, but is that cover of him fighting THE Satan from the comic, or just a devil?
    Ars longa, vita brevis

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    OK, now that you've all read Hellboy in Hell #2, I can finally talk about this. You can only imagine what it was like for me at NYCC to be reading those final pages with Hellboy getting his right hand cut off by his own father while Mike Mignola watches me reading it with a devious grin on his face. And when I started saying how fantastic it was, he just shrugs and nods his head. It was an amazing moment I'll never forget.

That ending was incredible. So incredible.

I love this comic so much.
    Man, I can only imagine how that must have been, you're beyond lucky!

Seeing Hellboy get his hand was pretty awesome and it answered a question that I've been wondering about for sometime; whether it was like a glove or his actual hand.

Man, I can only imagine how that must have been, you're beyond lucky!
    You're telling me! It was amazing, yet I couldn't talk about it on here without spoiling issue 2. Kees wasn't wrong when he said my report from NYCC was a bit reserved. It had to be. All the most exciting things was stuff I couldn't talk about! Man, comic conventions in America are awesome. No comparison to the ones here at all. They're not even the same creature.