Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

I liked all his cameos as well. Especially the one with Lou Ferrigno.

Why wasn't he in the X-Men movies? I heard the reason why some time ago, but forgot.

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    I liked all his cameos as well. Especially the one with Lou Ferrigno.

Why wasn't he in the X-Men movies? I heard the reason why some time ago, but forgot.
    He was, in all of them.
    ...And does Mr. Goddanm Batman says so much as ''Thanks''? OF COURSE not. That'd hardly be GRIM AND GRITTY, would it?

The jerk...

-DKU's Jim Gordon.

BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

QUESTION: Do you hate Stan Lee's cameos?
    ANSWER:
    GOD, YES!!! They are awful; and (as many have said) take you out of the film. It's self-indulgent nonesense. If he could act AT ALL, I might not be as bothered, but every "character" he plays makes me cringe. UGH! And, to be fair, I find Sir Alfred Hitchcock's "cameos" just as cringe worthy. Why make great films, then intentionally put something in that is bad? At least with M. Night Shyamalan his are either subtle enough you dont' actually notice them... or he's not iconic enough to take you out of the film (or he actual can act enough to make it work?). For all his faults, at-least Spielberg doesn't stroke his ego when it comes to cameos.

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    YES!!!
    Every single one. It just completely shatters suspension of disbelief and takes me right out of the film.
    Or comic, for that matter, like when he was the priest wedding Luke Cage and Jessica Jones.
    QUOTED FOR TRUTH!!!
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 07-10-2012 at 02:29 AM.
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

Magnificent Bastard worstblogever's Avatar

I geek out every time. So does everyone I know. And, even if I tried to acknowledge that it COULD break up dramatic tension of a scene... it hasn't yet, really, even if I wanted to apply it. If he walked across the screen saying, "EXCELSIOR!" with a thumbs up during a final battle, yeah, that's over the line. But the closest he's been to showing up during a particularly heavy moment was when they put him and Chris Claremont in X-Men 3: The Last Stand as Jean Grey's neighbors, when she started showing signs of the Phoenix Force. But it's not like Jean read his mind, and he was thinking, "I wish Jack was here to see this."

Anyway, die-hard fans know who Stan Lee is. The average movie-goer overlooks him, without even realizing who it was. If this is all it takes for you to be sucked right out of a film experience, I have to ask, what the hell stopped you from seeing the Avengers and going, "HEY! THAT GUY IN THE CAPTAIN AMERICA SUIT IS THE SAME DUDE WHO WAS JOHNNY STORM!"

There's a reason why Stan developed the phrase "True Believers" for Marvel fans. It's because sometimes, you have to let the f*** go and just enjoy yourselves.

CBR's Cerebra: Mutant Tracker
    Updated Tuesdays.

X-Poster of the Month: January 2014
    - the best there is at what i do -

^ I'll have to check out X3 again for his cameo in that. What were his for the first 2 X flicks? Dang.
    Last edited by hulahulk; 07-10-2012 at 01:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    I geek out every time. So does everyone I know. And, even if I tried to acknowledge that it COULD break up dramatic tension of a scene... it hasn't yet, really, even if I wanted to apply it. If he walked across the screen saying, "EXCELSIOR!" with a thumbs up during a final battle, yeah, that's over the line. But the closest he's been to showing up during a particularly heavy moment was when they put him and Chris Claremont in X-Men 3: The Last Stand as Jean Grey's neighbors, when she started showing signs of the Phoenix Force. But it's not like Jean read his mind, and he was thinking, "I wish Jack was here to see this."

Anyway, die-hard fans know who Stan Lee is. The average movie-goer overlooks him, without even realizing who it was. If this is all it takes for you to be sucked right out of a film experience, I have to ask, what the hell stopped you from seeing the Avengers and going, "HEY! THAT GUY IN THE CAPTAIN AMERICA SUIT IS THE SAME DUDE WHO WAS JOHNNY STORM!"

There's a reason why Stan developed the phrase "True Believers" for Marvel fans. It's because sometimes, you have to let the f*** go and just enjoy yourselves.
    Agreed. I have little to add other than we *ARE* talking about comic book flicks. To insert a bit of levity, campiness, etc., into these movies is quite okay by me. For someone to have strong issue with Stan having some fun with it, well, that's just stupid. May as well complain about the Hostess Twinkie ads and mail order X-ray specs from the back page of 70's and 80's mags. Lighten up, haters!

I love his cameos when he had a hand in creating the characters. X-Men, Hulk, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Daredevil, those are all cool fun moments.

I'm a little more dubious about Stan having a cameo in movies for characters he had nothing to do with. I was kinda bothered by seeing Stan in Captain America. If anything, Joe Simon should have showed up, and if he did, I didn't notice him. Maybe a reference to Kirby somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    ^ I'll have to check out X3 again for his cameo in that. What were his for the first 2 X flicks? Dang.
    He is a Hot dog vendor in the Beach when senator Kelly comes out like the Creature from the Black Lagoon.

And he is one of Jean Grey's neighbours in X3

And I stand corrected, he isn't in X2, Wolverine and First Class (even though I couldve swear that he was).
    ...And does Mr. Goddanm Batman says so much as ''Thanks''? OF COURSE not. That'd hardly be GRIM AND GRITTY, would it?

The jerk...

-DKU's Jim Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake V View Post
    I love his cameos when he had a hand in creating the characters. X-Men, Hulk, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Daredevil, those are all cool fun moments.

I'm a little more dubious about Stan having a cameo in movies for characters he had nothing to do with. I was kinda bothered by seeing Stan in Captain America. If anything, Joe Simon should have showed up, and if he did, I didn't notice him. Maybe a reference to Kirby somewhere.

He did have a big part in Captain America, he is the one that brought him back in Avengers and wrote him settling in modern times, didn't he?

The jerk...

-DKU's Jim Gordon.

Of course not! Stan Lee's cameos are practically an institution in Marvel movies. So long as he's alive, I'm glad he finds a way to leave his mark. For everything he's done, he deserves it.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

X-men Supreme

he was the hot dog vender in X1

I think he was in the Ovel office scene at the of X-2 but they cut him out due to his lawauit aginst marvel at the time.
    Cyclops ad portas

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    He did have a big part in Captain America, he is the one that brought him back in Avengers and wrote him settling in modern times, didn't he?
    he also created the red skull
    Cyclops ad portas

Omnidisciplinary Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Jake V View Post

stan created cap's shield throw

Stan Lee should be in The Dark Knight Rises. Just for the sake of it.
    "You can't trust them as poets either. The true poet is anonymous, as to his habits, but these boys have to look, act, and apparently smell like poets"
    Flannery O'Connor on the beats.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadXMan View Post
    he also created the red skull
    No, he didn't. Joe Simon and Jack Kirby, did in 1941.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."